PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Bidding....Paying for quality work!

btbej
03-04-2004, 03:13 PM
After spending a couple years as a salesperson for a janitorial service company I found that these building operations managers want top quality work for less than what they are paying now or at least the same price.

Well after starting my lco business last year and going after the commercial side of the business this year I have found that things are not any different in this business.

I have met with these facility managers and showed them what I would do different to make the exterior of their building much more inviting such as edging the mulch beds and around trees, edging the curb lines, actually trimming all the way around the building and not just in front etc.

Well of course they all say "Wow I never noticed, and yes please include that in your bid". Of course I hand deliver the bid and walk them around the details I mentioned before and explain the pricing with those items included they say "Great it sounds good, but let me look it over with the other bids and get back with you".

Well after a couple weeks I follow up to hear "Well we decided to stick with who we have used in the past" I ask them why..."well you are an additional $10 per week than him" of course I explain why and then they tell me "we will let you know when the bid comes available again".

Word of advise (I wish I would have done this because I did it in the janitorial biz and it worked) Submit two bids - one with the details as I explained above (what they say they want) and a lower bid (what they are getting now) so you have a chance to win the bid by being lower...this way you are in the door and you can provide some of the quality and show them why you are worth the extra when you raise your price the next year.

Just a loooong thought.

Fantasy Lawns
03-04-2004, 03:19 PM
What I give breaks into 4 price structures

Basic Service (Mowing, Edging, Weed Whacking & Blowing)

Normal Service (Basic + General Weeding of Beds)

Full Service (Normal + Hedging-Shrub-Ground Cover Trimming)

Full Service Gold (Full Service + Premium Palm Trim + Irrigation Checks)

Any Pest or Fert is separated bid all together

AL Inc
03-04-2004, 04:41 PM
That's exactly why I stopped going after commercial work. Yes, more headaches with residential, but my bottom line is better.