PDA

View Full Version : my other guy discontinued cutting grass...

bobbygedd
03-04-2004, 05:51 PM
as we are advertising, and doing lots of estimates, i'm hearing alot of this: "i had a guy for a long time, he's still in business, but eliminated his grasscutting end of it, he's only doing landscaping now." what's up with that?

Flipperneck
03-04-2004, 05:55 PM
More profit in Landscape then lawn. Alot of people just do lawns for a client base till they are known for their Landscape and Hardscape work then sell the accounts to someone who wants an instant biz or add on.

Evan528
03-04-2004, 06:18 PM
My goal is eventually to stop cutting grass also and do Landscape installations full time. Thats where the money is and the creativity.....

Let it Grow
03-04-2004, 06:23 PM
I'm getting more into landscaping as well, but I think it is also important to keep your lawns as lawn accounts are steady income.
I'm going to keep doing lawns unless I get to the point where I am busy all year doing landscaping. Lawns pay less, but they are dependable. Landscaping pays more, but can be more sporadic.

rodfather
03-04-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Flipperneck
More profit in Landscape then lawn. Alot of people just do lawns for a client base till they are known for their Landscape and Hardscape work then sell the accounts to someone who wants an instant biz or add on.

I agree with our fellow Joysee guy says bobby...but if I did that, I would be out of business since mowing consists of 73% of my total business revenue (2003 anyway).

Flipperneck
03-04-2004, 06:30 PM
I want to start with mowing, but for me seeing the same lawn every mondays at 8:00 am and getting scratched by the same holly bush at 8:30 am etc.... is so mindnumbing to me I couldn't see doing it for the next 25 years. check this guy out he's a local that started in 78 or 80 just doing maintence.... www.pillari.com

General Grounds
03-04-2004, 07:12 PM
:blob3: ill only cut the lawn if i do the fert. or some other work, so we now do 210 full service accounts, i feel that works really well for us. i know in feb. what kinda clean-up work we have to do, no advertising needed, just a crap load of mulch.

bobby doing a paver job in marlboro, pm me and i fill you in, stop by. tony

ps. also by doing full service its nice to get a $200- 500 check each month from your customers

Runner
03-04-2004, 07:17 PM
That's just it with alot of guys in this industry. They get so focused on doing the mowing, that thay can't see the forest through th trees. I can't even tell you about how many incidents and people that brought in $180 for the month on the account, and left $200 sitting on the table. What really gets me are these "mow only" operations.

mtdman
03-04-2004, 07:28 PM
I don't want to do any landscaping. That stuff bores me and it's a major pain in the butt, imo. There's money to be made doing lots of things, I don't have to do them all.

little green guy
03-04-2004, 08:04 PM
bottom line, there's not enough money in mowing, there's alot more in landscape but even that is getting worse and worse. I get 90% of my landscape wrk from my lawn accounts becasue they usually don't bid it out and I usually don't get work when it's bid out because I'm in business to make money, not for my health. Thats the biggest reason I keep all the lawn, there are a few others but I'm not gonna be a millionare just cutting grass, thats for sure.

turf9
03-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by mtdman
I don't want to do any landscaping. That stuff bores me and it's a major pain in the butt, imo. There's money to be made doing lots of things, I don't have to do them all.

I'm with you and as for the holy tree at 8:30 prune it, good regular customers are what I like. my 2 Canadian cents.

rodfather
03-04-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by little green guy
bottom line, there's not enough money in mowing

There is "if" you know how to price a lawn properly...and know how to sell the add-on premium work. Me ever being a millionaire? Nope. Living well and comfortable now and in the future? Yup.

dvmcmrhp52
03-04-2004, 09:10 PM
Agreed rodfather.

Originally posted by rodfather
There is "if" you know how to price a lawn properly...and know how to sell the add-on premium work. Me ever being a millionaire? Nope. Living well and comfortable now and in the future? Yup.

lawnman_scott
03-04-2004, 09:14 PM
I agree, almost 100% of my income is mowing. You have to know how to price it, and how long it will take.

GreenMonster
03-04-2004, 09:27 PM
I started in landscape/hardscape, am offering lawn care and maintenance this year. Landscape is good money, but it's not consistent. Plus, I think there is a lot of potential for landscape work with your lawn customers.

I've seen it written on this forum before...

"Lawn mowing pays the bills, landscaping buys the toys":D

mtdman
03-04-2004, 11:41 PM
If you don't want to do landscaping, there is a lot more than just mowing to make $$ off. There are lots of add ons and extras you can sell as well as mowing. And quite frankly that kind of stuff interests me much more. I did a bit of landscaping, a bit of hardscaping back in the early days. Didn't like it, don't like it. My wife can't even get me to plant flowers at my house I hate it so much.

impactlandscaping
03-05-2004, 12:48 AM
We are primarily a Landscape Design / Maintenance co.We only mow for full service customers, but I am thinking of adding more lawns this year, and only taking on installs of $ 8K and up. A lot of profitability gets lost on the smaller install jobs.I'd rather have 50 more fert&squirt/mow/ full maintenance accounts than have 10 10K installs in a summer.The great thing about mowing is it pays my payroll for the month, leaving installs and hydroseeding jobs for larger profit margins for me, and bonuses for my guys.

mbricker
03-05-2004, 01:03 AM
different areas--different situations. Almost no landscape maintenance in this area makes as much as mowing, and landscape installation only pays good for the outfits with a licensed designer or landscape architect on staff. A prestige thing I guess, that makes a small percentage of upper end clientele willing to pay a lot more than the going rate. The majority of landscape installs here--I would guess 80%--are going for $20-$25 an hour gross. The outfits who have nursery/greenhouse ops are making a little more because of not having to share the profit on plants. As I've said, too many hillbillies who think grossing $20 an hour is absolutely great.

little green guy
03-05-2004, 01:42 PM
It's not that I don't know how to price a lawn right, my prices are higher than most of the other companies in town and that the way I want it. I get the customers that want to spend money not the ones that are looking for the most reasonible price. I don't want every customer out there, just the good ones. I build a good relationship with them and when i comes time to spend real money on work they usually don't shop around, they just give me the work.

I also didn't say that you can't make money mowing, but to me there's just not enough money when you start looking at what companies in other trades and even landscape installs are profiting. I didn't say you can't live comforatbly. The way I look at mowing is that it pays the bills and keeps steady work and creates more work. Judging by some previous post my lawn crew is bring in alot more money than alot of guys on this board, if I where making what some of you guys are making I wouldn't even get outa bed in the morning.

dvmcmrhp52
03-05-2004, 01:49 PM
How do you know what any one here is making?

little green guy
03-05-2004, 06:24 PM
because there was another post which we disscussed it. Only a handfull of people replied.