PDA

View Full Version : photinia removal

rkbrown
03-04-2004, 06:13 PM
I have a customer that has lived in their home for 2 years. They would like me to replace about 70 feet of photinia with holly. The photinia is about 5 feet tall. I will remove them at the bottom with a chain saw. However, my question is how hard will it be to dig the root structure out? They do not know how old the photinia is, but if I had to guess I would imagine its been in the ground for at least 8-10 years.

NCSULandscaper
03-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Can you get a truck and chain in the area? The root structures on photinia are not that large and are easy to pull out. I have pulled them out of the ground before with the mower, so that tells you how big the root balls are.

rkbrown
03-04-2004, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the reply, NCSU, but no, I will not be able to get my truck into the area of the photinia. If I decide to use a mower, I'll need to wait till it dries out a bit. It has been quite wet here. :)

ipm
03-04-2004, 07:43 PM
They have only been in the ground 2 years?????

rkbrown
03-04-2004, 09:11 PM
ipm:

My customers have lived there for 2 years. The last line of my post says that I would believe that these photinia have been in the ground for 8-10 years. :)

ipm
03-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Sorry about that.... I should read more thoroughly next time.

Am I thinking of the right plant. Photinia is a Red tip is it not???? I have always known red tips to be much larger, any way if they are red tips I would recommend a machine to pull out the stumps, etc. I don't see how a mower will work. I guess you could dig and use your mower, hard to say without being there.

treedoc1
03-05-2004, 09:20 AM
I always rent the stump grinder after you flush cut. Its worth the time and money vs. the aggravation and 3 stooges look of trying to jerk them out of the ground and leaving a mess to clean up.

BW4486
03-05-2004, 11:22 AM
IPM yes photinia are commonly called redtips