PDA

View Full Version : seeding after crabgrass control

rmartin
03-04-2004, 07:17 PM
I have a few customers that want to get slice seeded this spring, however i have told them numerous times that the seed will not sprout due to the crabgrass controller. I know about siduron but i dont think that stuff really works all that great. Sould i just seed and charge them for it? or not?

timturf
03-04-2004, 08:58 PM
sidron or tupersan does work, but last only 4 weeks!

James Cormier
03-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Tupersan works awsome, but you gotta read the lable it calls for 2 treatments, very expensive. I only seed in spring if they buy the turpersan( siduron )

sodzilla
03-04-2004, 09:15 PM
This is my first year so I'm not famillar with all the products yet. My supplier told me about a product you use after seeding but you must put it downright away. I think he called it drive. I don't know if that is brand name of the two listed above or what. Like I said have not used it yet.

grassguy_
03-05-2004, 09:27 PM
Depending on the type of slit seeding you are doing then there are two wayus to appraoch it. If you are doing spots throughout the yard and no real large open areas then the the product Drive can be ued and does well for spot treating of crabgrass once it has emerged. If you are doing large open areas with plenty of sunlight , then you are probably better to use the Tupersan. Personal preference is to use the Drive because will attempt to fill in at different times and the control with Tupersan will disipate quickly 2-4 weeks depending on moisture and photodegradation. Best to seed early either way so grass can get the time to compete before summer comes in. Being where you are crabgrass probably isn't an issue until late May!

James Cormier
03-06-2004, 06:17 PM
Does drive mix well in the perma green?

big m
03-07-2004, 07:17 PM
If you wnat to lose a good customer :angry: seed the lawn this spring. If you want to keep a good customer see if they can wait till fall to do the seeding. :D

bowerj
03-07-2004, 10:23 PM
waiting until fall would be highly recommended. residual on Tupersan too short and much too expensive. if it has to be done this spring go with the spot treatment of Drive, it is the best post treatment around

tremor
03-07-2004, 11:17 PM
Go ahead & spring seed. Wait for growth. Apply Drive according to the label. It works very well, but the 4 week residual as a Pre is pretty weak. Though it's much better than Tupersan & cheaper too. Don't use a PermaGreen for Drive.

James Cormier
03-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Every spring I say "I will not seed in the spring" then someone talks me into it, I give high prices on slice seeding, tell them they must have 2 treatments of tupersan ( and pay dearly for it ) and I will explain even with that expect crab to come up. They promise to water all summer, and guess what.......come mid july they are unhappy,

So this spring.......I promise I will not seed any lawns!

:)

TSM
03-08-2004, 06:01 PM
we got out of the seeding business some time back. nothing but headaches. rarely do they water properly. constant call backs.

we even went to a 100% prepay for seeding to be sure we wer'nt chasing for our $$$.

forget it

we have a slice seeder, only gets used to fix our mistakes, luckily it hasnt been used in a couple of years, other than at my own lawn, i got a shade situation so i just run the slicer over the area every fall.

seeding for pay, no thanks, in my opinion its not worht the $$$ we network with many landscapers and will refer this work to them.