PDA

View Full Version : Bad Boy

primecutmo
03-04-2004, 07:24 PM
What do you guys think of the Bad Boy mowers vs the Dixie Chopper

jsr2741
03-04-2004, 07:33 PM
How far would you have to go to get the Badboy worked on compared to the Dixie.

No dealer for Badboy here, so it's a no brainer...

primecutmo
03-04-2004, 07:46 PM
The Dixie Chopper dealer in my town is aslo a Bad Boy dealer. Im just trying to decide between the two. Im going to demo them next week when he gets the Bad Boys in. It looks like with the Bad Boy you get more for your money. It has many more standard features over the Dixie. I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the Bad Boys.

jsr2741
03-04-2004, 07:54 PM
IMO you should place the value on the dependbility of the machine not so much the price.

I don't own either but I know a lot of guys who run the Dixie, and they really like them. From what others here have said in the past they (Dixie) have the best hydraulic system of them all.

Do a search on the Dixie (use to be a big debate on this site a few years ago about them and the Exmark).

Also demo demo demo.

primecutmo
03-26-2004, 09:52 AM
update
i decided on the bad boy. it was the best deal for the money with the liquid cooled engine and many other features over the dixie chopper. i have run it 13.5 hrs now and i love it. it has plenty of power and stripes the best i have seen without a striping kit.

msloop77
03-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Primecutmo,

Which model BadBoy did you purchase? They seem to be a great product, we don't have a single dealer in Colorado, so I would have to get mine dropped shipped. I was only looking at a 48inch or 52 with the 25hp/27hp. Any thing to stay away from, if I got one of these mowers. thanks, mark

chevyman1
03-26-2004, 12:07 PM
I just started out on the side, and bought an XG2703-60 Dixie and had it delivered last week. Tested it last fall and it made the "Bad Boy" look like a bad piece of overrated garbage...no where near the deck tourque

Willmow4dough
03-27-2004, 01:52 AM
We've cut with both on demos and I have to say the Bad Boy is Bad Ass. They weigh quite a bit so they stripe well and they're fast. Also the BB is built tough (1/4" deck) wow! The Dixie didn't cut well and also looked like a steel box. Big fan of the Bad Boy, although we only run Exmark.

aperfectlawn
03-27-2004, 02:02 AM
Would't a lot of weight be bad for the lawn?

lampeslawnservice
03-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Just saw one of these at a trade show. What a beast! They claim 15mph forward speed. Hope that suspension seat works. I really liked the features they offered and the price was even better. Construction of the unit looked extremely tough. It had a pretty wide stance, but the center of gravity LOOKED kinda high. Would like to demo one on a hill I have to mow if it handles that I'll be sold. Just so long the dealer would promise overnight parts delivery and service.

chevyman1
03-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Bad boys are much harder to work on, leave more ruts in the yards, and don't cut anywhere near as well because Dixie supplies the most torque to the deck in the industry...bad boy supplies more to the tractor itself, and less deck rpms means not as clean

primecutmo
03-31-2004, 01:12 PM
mark
i got the bad boy with the 60 in deck 27 hp liquid cooled kawasaki
i also go the AOS model.

chevyman
yes it does weigh more but they put larger tires on it standard so it spreads the weight out more. its ground pressure is less than that of other "lighter" mowers. it only weighs 40 more lbs than an exmark. and what model did you demo. i tried a dixie with a 60 in deck and 27 hp AIR cooled kohler and it did not cut as well as the bad boy. the dixie was also very jerky where as the bad boy was very smooth. i also think that the overall apperance of the bad boy is much better than the dixie.

the suspension seat on the bad boy works very well once you get it adjusted to your weight.

chevyman1
03-31-2004, 02:00 PM
I tried out the 27 HP Bad Boy too, and my feelings were the opposite of yours...plus there is something to be said about a company that's been around for 25 years doing one thing, vs. a company making some parts overseas that's still new

Please don't yell at me for this Chuck, it's American afterall!

Bad Boy Mowers
03-31-2004, 08:12 PM
I respect the fact that not all people are going to fall in love with our mowers. Everyone has their own opinions and preferences when it comes to every product whether it be mowers, vehicles or whatever. What is very curious about this entire discussion is that someone would post complete and total untruths. It seems to me that some people are grossly misinformed or just choose to post incorrect information for whatever reason. Bad Boy is an American company. We are built in Batesville, Arkansas and I PERSONALLY order every single part on a Bad Boy mower. We run Kawasaki, Kohler and Briggs and Stratton engines, pretty much the standard engines that all zero-turn manufacturers use. I do not order one single part from an overseas company that does not have a headquarters here and each company employs American workers. Even then, the number of parts that are imported is a very small number, similar to other mower manufacturers.

The "deck torque" issue is also clearly wrong and I wonder which salesman chevyman is quoting when he rattled off his horsepower numbers. The fact is, the 25 horsepower Bad Boy does not use 12 horsepower to run the tractor. It uses 4 to 5 horsepower at the most.

The idea that a Bad Boy is hard to work on is just plain silly. The engine manufacturer covers all warranty work if needed and Bad Boy's patented swing-away design is one of our most popular features. It allows the user to quickly access any part of the mower and has been praised by numerous service people.

primecutmo
04-01-2004, 12:44 PM
so are you trying to tell me chevyman that every part of a dixie chopper is made in the USA. I know my local dealer has dixies with kawasaki and honda engines on them. i find it very hard to believe that dixies are made 100% in the USA.

Sean Adams
04-01-2004, 11:11 PM
chevyman1.....here we go again. You are admitting you have never owned or extensively used a piece of equipment and on top of it all, you are posting false information. Whether Bad Boy is a sponsor or not....you can't keep doing this. You did this in another thread regarding Simplicity (who is not a sponsor)....

I am not knocking part-timers, but you yourself admit you "just started part time", so how do you have this vast knowledge of all of this equipment to the point you can comment on horsepower and torque, when in fact it is untrue.

And please...do not hand me the freedom of speech line either....this is a professional industry forum where rules do apply....I cannot understand why you are working overtime to break the rules intentionally.....

But hey, I'm wide open here....the information you posess....where did you get it so we are aware of the source?

65hoss
04-02-2004, 12:45 AM
Chevyman, you again are showing why people shouldn't listen to you. Not just on equipment, but on business practices as well.

I've looked at the Bad Boy mowers at Gie and Louisville for a couple of years now. The design and swing away setup is by far awesome. These mowers are built very strong. If I didn't run eXmarks I would be testing a Bad Boy.

Green King
04-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Prime cut just currious but what dealer sells both dixie and bad boy? I talked to a bad boy dealer last fall in southwest Mo. but he did not carry dixie. He also was trying to get rid of his machines.

primecutmo
04-06-2004, 12:10 AM
US turff in springfield mo carries bad boy and dixie. my neighbor just bought the company and renamed it Turf supply of the ozarks. he has had a hard time getting dixies the factory rep has been giving him a hard time. i was orginaly going to get a dixie but was able to get much more bang for my buck with the bad boy. what dealer are you talking about king. are you here in springfield. id like to talk to you if you are.

Runner
04-06-2004, 02:53 AM
What the heck is "deck torque"?????????????;)

Green King
04-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Primecut I am not from Springfield but not all that far away either. The dealer I am talking about is Garys sales.

primecutmo
04-08-2004, 12:37 AM
king
i would consider bad boy. turf supply is carrying them and they are here to stay. my neighbor owns the dealership and is very happy with the company. PM me if you have questions

Green King
04-09-2004, 11:49 PM
Gary's I don't think is going anywhere either. But I know that he is promoting another make. Anyhow for know I would probably not buy from either one of these dealers. The reason being is neither one of them are engine certified with anything but generac and I for know would not own a generac powered machine.

primecutmo
04-10-2004, 06:50 PM
what differance does engine certified make. the us turf guys have an ase certfied mechanic at their shop. just becuase they are not certfied on a specific brand does not mean that they can not work on it.

brucec32
04-11-2004, 05:42 PM
This brand may well be the best in the world one day. But I would caution those excited by lower prices and more "bang for the buck" as well as ridiculously high top speeds that you're early-adapters if you buy one. Be aware of the risks. The brand could fail, leaving you with an orphan for parts and poor resale value. The dealer network is not yet mature, you could get stuck with a down mower and delays getting it fixed. How deep are the pockets of this company? Can they invest enough in getting a dealer network up and running before their cash runs out? Do your research. Profits don't come until the breakeven sales volume is met. It's not a given that this will occur. Just be aware of that.

You use these tools to make your living. Would you be the first to buy a "bad boy" automobile instead of an established brand?

Mowers don't become collector's items like Deloreans.

nelbuts
04-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Hey what happened to Chevy guy. LMAO

I like the looks of the Bad Boy mowers even though I have been a Scag man for 17 years. They look easy to work on to me. As far as the decks, just about anything looks stronger than the Dixi to me. Keep up the good work BB and email me as I want you to contact my local dealer. As I would only deal with him.

primecutmo
04-11-2004, 10:47 PM
i thought of the issues that bruce brought up. but still decided on the bad boy because i had to think of my budget right now. if things look like they are going down hill the i can sell. but as of now they are doing more business every day. im not worried about the parts since i only plan to keep any mowers more than 3-4 years. the part of the machine that has the most moving parts and the most wear prone parts is the engine and that is made by kawasaki which i can get parts anywhere.

primecutmo
04-11-2004, 10:48 PM
i just think every one should give bad boy a fair chance and demo one if they can.

Green King
04-16-2004, 10:04 AM
Primecutmo

The reason I would only buy from a certified engine dealer is this. I bought a Schweiss mower a few years ago from a dealer who was not certified. The engine started to have some running problems at the 100hr. area. A took the machine back and could not get it fixed under WARRANTY! I then had to take it to a certified guy who in turn since I did not buy the machine from him he got it back to me two weeks later. Also no loaner! Just my personal view!

primecutmo
04-16-2004, 11:09 PM
That sucks. well my dealer has a loaner mower just like mine. im not too concerned. im not impressed with the dealers that i have to choose from that are engine certifed. two of them have ripped me off when i was starting out and i will never walk through their door again. the others are too far from my house to mess with going there. it helps when your neighbor owns the dealership. he wants to keep me happy because i know where his house is. ha ha