PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I sell lawn care?

Doster's L & L
03-04-2004, 06:54 PM
This is my first year to really push myself to sell lawn care. I am selling in areas where they have $150K- 350K homes. There is obviously no one doing lawn care there b/c they have weeds out the arse. I have gotten several calls and have been timely in giving them an estimate. They are eager to talk to me and hear what i have to say about my plan and how good it's gonna look come summer time and even better in April next year. But when it comes down to the numbers, i hear them freeking out with their thoughts. What i get is, "Well, i'll have to think about it for a while." What does this mean, guys? Are they hoping that i will get desparate and drop my prices? (it's starting to become an option) Does this mean, "Hell, man, do you want my arm too?!?" What does it all mean? I need your advice! Please help!

jsr2741
03-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Around here, people in homes that run in the 200k to 500k range are what we call house poor.

Try targeting some of the older homes in the 90k to 150k range.Those are usually the blue collar folks and they are good at paying on time and are more geared to qaulity than price.

Just my .02.

poolboy
03-04-2004, 07:07 PM
Try to target an older age group. And you might look into doing some “before and after” photos; that way homeowners can ponder over what their landscape might look like.

Lawn-Scapes
03-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Like the previous poster said.. try a different area and income level. Don't limit yourself.

Also.. if you are not getting any bites at all... maybe you are overpriced. Just because you read on here that some are making $60 per hour.. that everyone and anyone who is in this business is or will. I certainly don't but I make a good living.

Don't get discouraged.. Good luck.

little green guy
03-04-2004, 07:10 PM
whatever you do don't lower your prices.

Tonyr
03-04-2004, 07:12 PM
This group I also deal with a lot, in my area I call these folks the "bargain hunters", they are the worse time wasters, they call, I quote, they say they need to think...

Obviously they try to better my offer, many fail and simply try it themselves and many fail, to them to fail is better than to see their money go into your pocket.

This group also a lot of times expect you to mow by hand, I've been asked to mow with a pushy instead of my Z as they say they want to see effort into earning their money....no chance!

Don't lower your price, this is admitting defeat to them, saying you work to their cheap price not to your higher standards.

When clients say they need to talk or think with their partner I find means they expected cheaper, they are just to shy to say no to your face.

The only services I can sell to this group successfully ae, mowing, trimming, edging, and roundup application in gardens for weed control. All just basics.

Keep battling, it works out eventually.

Gotta go, a bloody cyclone is on us, bit scary!

jsr2741
03-04-2004, 07:19 PM
You could also do some shopping. I've had calls from other LCO's (posing as potential customers) who will want me to price a yard or qoute them my minimum to find out what I'm charging. I'll go by and leave a quote and then not get a call back but I'll go back by a few weeks later out of curiosity to see who got the job, and 2 instances I saw guys pulling their equipment from the garage and loading on their trailer.

You can bet wal-mart shops k-mart and vice versa, so I guess you could do it also.

bobbygedd
03-04-2004, 07:26 PM
well, here comes the obvious, what these guys say "doesn't matter". what is "the going rate" for your services? u better be damn sure you know what the competition is charging, it means everything.

specialtylc
03-04-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by little green guy
whatever you do don't lower your prices.

This is bad advise. You may be too high. Its great to say I only work for $50 per hour. But if you aint working , youre not getting $50 per hour. Or maybe you are off on how long these jobs are going to take. I know when I first started I was sometimes off on the time a job would take.

Doster's L & L
03-04-2004, 07:30 PM
I hear ya mate! I saw on the news that our aussie brothers are having a time with a nasty cane. I hope everything turns out ok for ya after the storm leaves. Thanks for your reply!

My thoughts are: if i were to give them a lower price just for this year alone just to let them know that i do excellent work and let them see what their lawn will look like, next year, i will raise my prices back to what they are now. Of course, they will be told about this when they sign the agreement. I figure that if i get a handful of folks to sign, their neighbors will see this as well and i will have their interest as well. I also think that word of mouth will spread like wildfire that i'm courteous, professional, and so on. Should i bend a little bit for some of them just for now to get started up?

bobbygedd
03-04-2004, 07:41 PM
dosters, no, NO, no, do not go that route. do you know how much it costs you each hour to operate? if the answer is no, u best get started figuring it out. do you know what others in your area are charging for good service? if you start low, and try to increase, you'll get crushed

jsr2741
03-04-2004, 07:46 PM
What Bobby said, he may have a mullet but he knows the biz. Shop some of the LCO's that you've heard that do reputable work and shop them.

Doster's L & L
03-04-2004, 07:53 PM
i'll give you guys an idea of how i am pricing lawns and what i offer for these prices.
*************Lawn Area 22.7K sqft***********
pH Correction- since most of these lawns have NEVER had their lawn limed, i price them to receive 50lbs/K
Aerate- 2x per year unless you are due for a de-thatching
Fertilize- 3x per year with 20% Slow release N
Weed Control- 6x per year
Dethatch every 2-3 years

I give them a price for the first year as they will spend alot of money on lime the first year and alot on dethatching. Hence, they will be interested in knowing that the next year won't be as expensive as the first year.
Here's how i priced this particular lawn:
First year: Lime, 3 fert, 6 weed control, 1 aerate, and de-thatch.
Cost: $2240
2nd year: same as above except only 20lbs/K of lime and no dethatch and 2 aerate instead of one.
Cost: $1705

I told them that they will likely not need any lime the 2nd year, but they will not need any more than 20 lbs/K.

lawnman_scott
03-04-2004, 07:55 PM
And what if the other LCO's are lower? How much does it cost THEM to operate? Knowing their prices could be totally useless.

dvmcmrhp52
03-04-2004, 08:04 PM
At thirty mowings per year they are looking at a price of $75 per cut,(first year) And yes that is the way they are looking at it.
Try quoting a different way and see what happens.

bobbygedd
03-04-2004, 08:09 PM
doster, is this what they are asking for, or is this what you are telling them? 6 herbs a year seems a bit extreme to me. lime, 3 ferts, 6 herbs, 2 aerations, one thatch, and a partridge in a pear tree. they have no money left to spend on grasscutting, or food! if you came at me like that, i'd sick the dog on ya. even a real bad yard sees great improvement with at most, two pre em apps, an early herb, and a mid summer herb, where the heck are u gettin 6? i think they think u r boning them

Doster's L & L
03-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Bobby has a mullet?? I was unaware of that!! :D

The other guys around here that do lawns simply mow and go. I'm the only one that is offering this kind of service. I'm for real! A guy that i gave a bid to today told me that he had to call an LCO from an hour away to give him a price for weed control. (the reason for this is, i didnt advertise weed control on my brochure that he got last weekend, cause it is illegal to advertise this)

dvmcmrhp52
03-04-2004, 08:14 PM
I agree with this as well.

Originally posted by bobbygedd
doster, is this what they are asking for, or is this what you are telling them? 6 herbs a year seems a bit extreme to me. lime, 3 ferts, 6 herbs, 2 aerations, one thatch, and a partridge in a pear tree. they have no money left to spend on grasscutting, or food! if you came at me like that, i'd sick the dog on ya. even a real bad yard sees great improvement with at most, two pre em apps, an early herb, and a mid summer herb, where the heck are u gettin 6? i think they think u r boning them

pcnservices
03-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Doster's L & L
pH Correction- since most of these lawns have NEVER had their lawn limed, i price them to receive 50lbs/K
Dethatch every 2-3 years

2nd year: same as above except only 20lbs/K of lime and no dethatch and 2 aerate instead of one.
$2240?? You're fired!!
Why aerate 2x per year and you wanna dethatch as well?? You're doing something wrong here IMO.
A 5 step program (early spring, late spring, summer, late fall and winteriser with aeration in the fall) at an industry average price for a 22.7K lawn will get you to ± $1000.
Have you done a soil test on this specific lawn to see what the ph are and if it needs a ph correction or are you just assuming because "most of these lawns have never had their lawns limed"?

Doster's L & L
03-04-2004, 08:40 PM
I tell them the plan that i have. They dont ask for this.
The herbicide plan i have is: in early spring they get a broadleaf and a Pre-m, Summer months they get 2 POST for grassy and another PRE for annual bluegrass (poa annua) in early fall and also another broadleaf in the fall. Remember, there are weeds out the arse here.

How do you recommend that i make a different approach, dvmcmrhp52?

Speaking of dogs, bobby i darn near got ate up by a pissed off pit bull today! He was in his fence like he was supposed to be when i was measuring the neighbors lawn. He was raising seven kinds of vicious hell across the fence too! I thought, "Well, he's over there....... I'm over here. All is well." As soon as i turned my back, that beast was on the same side of the fence that i was. I was like "WOAH!" I held my measuring wheel like a frikkin' louisville slugger and i was ready to swing. I think the dog was as surprised as i was that he was on the same side of the fence as me! He took off and ran all the way around to the front of the house to the front fence. Then he continued raising seven kinds of vicious hell over there. Tell you the truth, that suited me just fine. I could've given a damn!!! :D I was just glad that i wasn't grappling with a frikkin pit bull! He threatened to come back over there while i was still measuring, so i had a hammer handy to eliminate all his issues.

Doster's L & L
03-04-2004, 08:51 PM
no, no, no. Pcn, you got me wrong. I tell them that i will definitely do a soil test before i put ANY lime or fert. I dont put down lime anywhere without a soil test. I just tell them the average need for lime just so i can give them a ballpark estimate for pH correction. I tell them that this is variable. They all seem to understand this. Also, i think you overlooked part of my plan. If i am going to dethatch this year, (if it needs it) i only do one aeration. On years that i don't dethatch, i do two aerations.

dvmcmrhp52
03-04-2004, 08:52 PM
1) Ph correction-add on service,I wouldn't include it on an initial quote,and as well you don't know if it is neccesary.
2)Try 1 aeration rather than 2. It's hard enough trying to get people to do one cause they look at their lawn and say"it's growing,why do I need all of this?"
3)Dethatching-A whole lot of people really don't know what this entails,sell it as an add on as needed.

The Idea here is to not look like you are trying to bend them over a barrel.Sell in increments if needed rather than trying to sell all at once.Try a different aproach is all I am saying.JMO.

Dethatch every 2-3 years

I give them a price for the first year as they will spend alot of money on lime the first year and alot on dethatching. Hence, they will be interested in knowing that the next year won't be as expensive as the first year.

I told them that they will likely not need any lime the 2nd year, but they will not need any more than 20 lbs/K. [/B]

DUSTYCEDAR
03-04-2004, 08:55 PM
if u have a large company like truegreen-chemlawn in the area
call them for a estimate and see how they do it and what they r offering and get some prices
i am not saying be as cheep as them but it is a starting point
u r trying to offer to many services at once
the average homeowner just wants u to kill the weeds so get your foot in the door then upsell them

Doster's L & L
03-04-2004, 09:10 PM
Tell you the truth Dusty, this area is too small for TGCL to come to. I guess i could call their office and see what their standard services are. they probably wouldnt give a per sqft price though. You are right about them wanting the weeds killed. That's definitely what they want less of....weeds. I'm glad you mentioned this. I have also been told that, "My grass grows well enough without having to put down lime, so why do i want it to grow faster?" I tell them it's not like that....
The reason that i push selling lime like i do is that i make GOOD money when i sell it. I also mention that it is the lawn's foundation. You wouldn't build a house with out a foundation would you? I mention something like that usually.
Thanks for your response, dvmcmrhp52. I am figuring now what i should do.

kootoomootoo
03-04-2004, 09:13 PM
i'll give you guys an idea of how i am pricing lawns and what i offer for these prices.
Dethatch every 2-3 years

I told them that they will likely not need any lime the 2nd year, but they will not need any more than 20 lbs/K.

Sounds like a car dealer selling a bunch of options nobody want.
You need to be selling a standard 6 app program for $100 a pop plus suggest aeration, lime, and whatver. Guys on here quote crazy prices.

Evan528
03-04-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by jsr2741
Around here, people in homes that run in the 200k to 500k range are what we call house poor.

Try targeting some of the older homes in the 90k to 150k range.Those are usually the blue collar folks and they are good at paying on time and are more geared to qaulity than price.

Just my .02.

Geez, I must be house poor then. A 200K home here is bottom of the barrel. My house poor clients live in $700,000 homes. The ones in the $350-500,000 homes can actually afford there houses and pay there bills on time.

Doster's L & L
03-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Did i mention you get a FREE lawn sign for signing up for these services??? :D:D

bobbygedd
03-04-2004, 09:49 PM
i scared of dogs:cry:

Runner
03-04-2004, 10:17 PM
I agree with the others that say you are trying to sell too much at once. Tone down your package a bit (quite a bit). No one want all the aerations, dethatchings, lime, and the whole brass band to march across their lawns. Sell a nice basic package, and then UPSELL the other stuff. Get yourself in the door, first! Then you are at a treMENdous advantage. It's kind of like the old marketing strategy. Now that you've got this, you can get THIS for just a little bit more! And OH! Did I mention that if you act NOW on THIS, that you can recieve an additional 10% off of the "regular" price? (This works well for "early sign-ons" for fall aerations.
See, it's all in the approach. Also, when you quote these prices to these people, you quote them with confidence and a SURE, quick voice! No ah's or um's. When you speak as a professional, and with great confidence, this has serious influence on people. If you sound like you're sort of doubting yourself on the price, or aren't quite sure, then it's a different story, all together. When you go into a reputable brake shop/service garage, when they quote you the price of a job, they just come right out with it. Well, this makes the customer think; "Hmm, he says that with surety, that must be how much it costs!" Remember the word Profit ....the Pro FITS!

mtdman
03-04-2004, 10:30 PM
I agree with the upsell sentiments. I find that when I give an estimate with the works in it, people don't take it. When I start out small, then start suggesting extra items and add ons it's far more effective. Every so often you'll get a customer that wants everything, then you've hit the jackpot. Most people won't bite on stuff like that. That's where the salesmanship comes in, and the fun begins.

jsr2741
03-04-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Evan528
Geez, I must be house poor then. A 200K home here is bottom of the barrel. My house poor clients live in $700,000 homes. The ones in the $350-500,000 homes can actually afford there houses and pay there bills on time.

Depends on what part of the country you live in. Here the house poor live in 200k to 500k, got more debt than the law will allow and they aren't looking for quality.

dvmcmrhp52
03-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Evan,
you work in a fortunate area. We have an area similar to yours and it sure is nice,but it is the exception rather than the rule.
You still need to keep the common folk in mind.

Originally posted by Evan528

DFW Area Landscaper
03-04-2004, 11:22 PM
Dosters,

Are you breaking out the pricing, line item by line item, such that a customer can pick and choose which services they want? If a customer just wants it mowed, are you offering that? Or do you only offer a full service package?

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Doster's L & L
03-04-2004, 11:26 PM
What do you think about the sell down approach? Offer the best and then downgrade? I obviously had alot of folks wanting to do this. I didn't decline. I showed them what i would do if i were them. I guess i'll findout tomorrow how things really went. i also told them that you can't pick which one is better or more needful than the other thing, cause they all are needing to be done at some time or other. what do think about these ideas?

hortboy
03-04-2004, 11:27 PM
try this sell them like TruGreen does, get them to agree for as much as possible the first time you speak to them, then as you prove your capable of providing the service upsell them. I think your customers are getting "sticker shock" Also why only 3 ferts- fert w/ every visit for more consistent color. Trust me if there lawn is dark green year round, you can get away w/ some weeds. and tell them 6 applications of fertilizer w/ weed control as needed , sounds more environmentally friendly and it more correct then blanket spraying herbicides if not necessary. E-mail me for more tips. I've got a ton of them. You've got to realize in your situation you have to work like a marketing company selling lawn care.

Doster's L & L
03-04-2004, 11:36 PM
oh yeah, i do also offer mowing to them. I'm not really pushing that though. Most of everyone that i talk to already has someone doing that for them. That's no problem to me. I just want to do the lawn care and landscaping for them.

dvmcmrhp52
03-04-2004, 11:56 PM
Perception is reality,doster.
What they think they need is not neccesarily what you think.
They look at their lawn and see it green and growing and in their mind they are saying"NEED?Why do I need?It's growing and green,can't be that bad"
Try to sell it as a higher quality lawn rather than "NEED".
Sell basic and move up,up,up.
Which aproach will work for you is a question only you can answer.Every one has different variables to deal with.
Listen to what THEY think they need first,then sell up from there.JMO.

What do you think about the sell down approach? Offer the best and then downgrade? I obviously had alot of folks wanting to do this. I didn't decline. I showed them what i would do if i were them. I guess i'll findout tomorrow how things really went. i also told them that you can't pick which one is better or more needful than the other thing, cause they all are needing to be done at some time or other. what do think about these ideas?

Doster's L & L
03-05-2004, 12:43 AM
wow!! now i see the light! that explains it all to me now. i know that everyone was saying this all along, but i was wondering exactly how i would go about selling up. That's what i needed to hear exactly.....sell as a want, not a need. I guess it's kinda like my signature, concerning our clients driving the cadillac's and whether or not they need it. They don't need it, but they wanted it so they paid for it.

trying 2b organic
03-05-2004, 12:59 AM
Great great sales advise in this thread. I think I have been listing too many Recommended services with my lawn analysis and giving people sticker shock. After reading this I will try to get a feel for what they hope to accomplish and start them off slower. Maybe just recommend 2 services (Aeration, Overseed) rather than 5 even if I think they could use them and I want to bill for everything.

bastalker
03-05-2004, 02:58 AM
Back up the fertilizer train a bit, an you might land a few more clients.........

JimLewis
03-05-2004, 04:03 AM
It says on your profile that you've been in business for 5 years now. So over the last 5 years, what have you done to create a lasting impression on your target audience? Would they know your company truck if it drove by? Is there anything unique about your company, trucks, image that stands out? Could they say they've seen you guys around town for years? Can they say they've seen it in their neighborhood? Do they recognize your company name? Have they heard your company name mentioned from friends or family?

When I go give an estimate, I'd say over 60% of the time people already KNOW our company in some form or another. Either we've worked in their neighborhood, they've been seeing our trucks around town for years, they've had a friend or relative or co-worker mention us favorably before, they've seen us on the news, whatever.

Have you created a brand image that people recognize and associate with fine lawn care?

If you already have, great! I am just suggesting it as one possible reason.

upsondown
03-05-2004, 05:33 AM
This is my first year to really push myself to sell lawn care. I am selling in areas where they have $150K- 350K homes. There is obviously no one doing lawn care there b/c they have weeds out the arse. I have gotten several calls and have been timely in giving them an estimate. They are eager to talk to me and hear what i have to say about my plan and how good it's gonna look come summer time and even better in April next year. But when it comes down to the numbers, i hear them freeking out with their thoughts. What i get is, "Well, i'll have to think about it for a while." What does this mean, guys? Are they hoping that i will get desparate and drop my prices? (it's starting to become an option) Does this mean, "Hell, man, do you want my arm too?!?" What does it all mean? I need your advice! Please help!

When a prospective customer says "Well, I'll have to think about it for a while" - the true objection is the MONEY. Money is what drives us all and money is ALWAYS the final issue. In sales I teach my people that if all you do is give a price and the customer signs on the dotted line - YOU ARE NOT A SALESPERSON. After you overcome 4 objections from a prospective client (I'm talking the same client) - then you ARE a salesperson when you get the contract. I encourage anyone to have an ongoing sales program - even if you are just mom and pop - you need to develop a sales presentation - well thought out and professional - from start to finish. Rehearse your presentation - with someone (your spouse if no one else) - and record yourself as you are giving it - and listen to the recording. Take pictures of the work you have done and compile either a color brochure - or a picture portfolio - to be used in conjunction with your verbal presentation. Remember - a picture is worth a thousand words. Just use a few pictures that highlight your work - overdoing it will bore your prospect - just enough will pique their interest. During your presentation - get them actively engaged in your presentation - use such phrases as "Isn't this the way you would like your lawn to look"? - Of course their response will be YES............Always use terminology that gets a YES response........because your ultimate goal is to get a "YES - I'll sign your contract". Stay clear of anything that is negative........ESPECIALLY ...........DO NOT degrade the company (if they have one) who is currently or has in the past - done work for them. Spend your time and effort expounding of the benefits of using your company for their lawn care!! Dress, speak and act professional - extolling the virtues of your company and your accomplishments for your clients - people are attracted to success. Just my opinions.
Dave

Tharrell
03-05-2004, 06:11 AM
You said no one is using a service and then you hit them with a full package. Try offering your services in smaller packages. Some may want this and some may want that. Explain what they will miss and next year they will probably get other services. You're trying to sell a fully loaded car in their minds.

Mdirrigation
03-05-2004, 08:28 AM
Dont sell the steak sell the sizzle. We will fertilize your lawn 5 times for $250.00 , the customer hears only $250.00.
We will fertilize your lawn 5 times at $ 59.00 per application.
The customer hears a lower price but you are more expensive.

Doster's L & L
03-05-2004, 11:50 AM
I wanna say THANKS for all of your help, guys. I didn't expect to get all of the help that i am gladly receiving. This info you're sharing with me is priceless! I am definitely gonna change the way i approach my potential clients.

Jim, I have been in business for 5 years. 85% of my business is simply mowing. The other is some landscape installs or other maintenance. The lawn care part of the business is what is new to me and everyone else. I do have the signage on my truck and the folks in my town recognize this, but the new town i'm expanding to have probably never heard of me. The reason they're calling me is from the brochure i left on their door step. They have access to my new website too.
I have done some landscape jobs for some upity people in my area and i have a few pics. I do stick out from all of the other guys in my area cause i actually have a nice looking work truck (2000 F-150 XL white) and i have signage on it. I am the only one with this. The new location i'm getting into has several guys that mow, but they don't do lawn care so that's why i'm hitting this area this year.

Thanks for the reply, upsondown. I will definitely take your advice on this. I have some nice looking brochures as you recommended. I have heard of getting the "yes" ball rolling to end up with a "yes i will sign". I have tried doing this a little bit, but i don't want to over do it and totally run them off because i screwed something up. I will practice this on a mirror or something. ;) I also agree with the statement about not degrading another company. It's WAY unprofessional to use tactics like downgrading another company to make a sale. I will never do that. Either the customer wants me or they don't. Again, thanks for your opinion. :)

Thats an interesting tactic, Mdirrigation. I will try this as well.

Doster's L & L
03-05-2004, 04:25 PM
I'm trying to sell weed control as a base plan now. I talked to the ones today that i gave an estimate to yesterday. I guess they think i'm trying to rape them... dry. I'll just come out and tell you my price plan for weed control. Here it is straight from My Documents.
Weed Control (Lawns)
$ 5.25/1000 ftsq lawns over 1.5 A or 65,340 ftsq
$ 6.50/1000 ftsq lawns between .75A and 1.49A or 32,669 ftsq and 65,349 ftsq
$ 7.50/1000 ftsq lawns between .749A .23A or 32,669 ftsq or less
$ 8.50/1000 ftsq lawns 10,000 ft sq or less

So do you guys think i'm reasonable or should i just charge them their first born for these services?

Lawn-Scapes
03-05-2004, 05:25 PM
That's weird..

If I had 11,000 sf I would be paying less than someone with 10,000 sf. And if I had 32,000 I would be paying more than someone with 33,000-36,000

Those prices are too expensive for around here.

specialtylc
03-05-2004, 06:45 PM
I'm trying to sell weed control as a base plan now. I talked to the ones today that i gave an estimate to yesterday. I guess they think i'm trying to rape them... dry. I'll just come out and tell you my price plan for weed control. Here it is straight from My Documents.
Weed Control (Lawns)
$ 5.25/1000 ftsq lawns over 1.5 A or 65,340 ftsq
$ 6.50/1000 ftsq lawns between .75A and 1.49A or 32,669 ftsq and 65,349 ftsq
$ 7.50/1000 ftsq lawns between .749A .23A or 32,669 ftsq or less
$ 8.50/1000 ftsq lawns 10,000 ft sq or less

So do you guys think i'm reasonable or should i just charge them their first born for these services?

Does that include fert? You are about double what any one would get around here. Especially the smaller sq. ft. charges. I know I would have ZERO work at those rates. And I do have a Commercial Pesticide Applicator License.

dvmcmrhp52
03-05-2004, 08:26 PM
I would have to agree.
That pricing does sound high,but I don't live where you do either.

Doster's L & L
03-06-2004, 04:09 AM
there's a guy that does a ton of spraying about 40+ miles from here that charges 9/sqft. He doesn't come anywhere near my area, but i figured if i were to charge a little less than him, i could pick up several jobs. I talked to a lady yesterday and asked her how my price was with the spraying compared to another guy that she had year before last. She told me that the prices were real close. I figured that i was reasonable. she's gonna g et back with me on this tuesday.
This pricing does not include fert. Fert starts out at $6/K and goes down with the larger property.
I don't want to blatantly ask for anyones pricing schedule, but what is the average price per K for... oh, say a 20K property? i could've swore that someone on here charges 12/k for weed control.

DFW Area Landscaper
03-06-2004, 08:54 AM
Dosters,

++++i figured if i were to charge a little less than him, i could pick up several jobs++++

Are you licensed to apply pesticides? Are you insured to apply pesticides?

Pay for all that stuff.

Then see how you feel about charging a little less than the competition.

Here's my weed control/fert pricing schedule. $38.97 first 5,000 sq ft. $5 per thousand thereafter. Six apps per year. I won't do anything larger than 13,000 sq ft until I invest in a 300 gallon spray rig. Even at $5 per thousand, when pushing spreaders and using back packs, this is my lowest grossing activity. Re-filling those backpacks just kills me. I'm buying a 300 gallon spray rig this coming fall. Either that or a PermaGreen.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Doster's L & L
03-06-2004, 03:28 PM
I know of all of the costs. I paid em too. $1000 for ins, 100 for bond, 150 to take license test (took it twice), hotel costs, 400 for charter, etc. It sucks to pay this stuff, but i am doing it right.
Do you charge 5/K to fert then another 5/K to spray? or 5/K to do both at the same time? Sounds kinda cheap if it's the later, but then again, i'm unsure about my own pricing scheme, so i can't say much.
Thanks for your reply DFW!

specialtylc
03-06-2004, 05:34 PM
First off buy the 300 gallon spray setup. You will save so much labor time verses using a back pack. A 10000 sq. ft lawn is $15 for fertilizer and maybe $10 in chem. Thats $25 in materials at the most. You should be able to do the job in 15 minutes. $8 per 1000 sq. ft . is pretty easy work and good pay.

DFW Area Landscaper
03-06-2004, 09:37 PM
Six apps per year at those prices per app. Each app consists of applying fertilizer, pre-emergence (on four apps only) and post emergence.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Doster's L & L
03-11-2004, 10:45 PM
I know now why i can't sell lawn care. There were guys that were there a couple of years before me that were selling it cheap!!! They were selling their programs half of what i am trying to sell mine for. The deal is, now they are no where to be found. I am stuck now stuck selling this to people that think lawn care is cheap. I guess i COULD sell it cheaper, but i had rather not. I am in the process of reducing my prices to be more competitive with them, even though they have moved somewhere else. Would you try to meet the previous guys price in the middle or what? Remember, i am new to this area and need to get a foot in the door.

specialtylc
03-11-2004, 10:51 PM
Do what you need to to get some work. Cant sit on your thumbs all year!