PDA

View Full Version : aeration????

launboy
03-04-2004, 09:08 PM
ok people say do it in the fall and not in the spring. some say do it in the fall as well as the spring. up here in northwest indiana we usually do it in the spring as well as the fall. i want to know why not to do it the spring. to me after being under multiple inches of snow it would be good to aerate the lawn right when it comes out of being dormant. whats good/bad about spring.
i would like to here from everyone especially all the northern indiana folks.. thanks

specialtylc
03-04-2004, 09:11 PM
Spring is the best time. Idea is to allow air,water,fert. to get to root zones. Loosen soil. Do it for growing season .

Lawn-Scapes
03-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Spring is a good time to do it... so is the fall. If you can sell both.. great!

Try and make sure it is done just before a pre-emergent is applied.

mtdman
03-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Lawn-Scapes
Spring is a good time to do it... so is the fall. If you can sell both.. great!

Try and make sure it is done just before a pre-emergent is applied.

Bingo!

:D

specialtylc
03-04-2004, 10:42 PM
Why would you do it before the pre-emergent? You need the pre-em at the top of the soil surface to stop weed germination.

Lawn-Scapes
03-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Why would you do it after a pre-m has been applied.. breaking the barrier?

mtdman
03-04-2004, 10:59 PM
Actually, although I am no weed control expert, there has been lots posted here on aeration not breaking the pre-em barrier. It's somewhat of a matter of opinion.

PLI1
03-04-2004, 11:19 PM
Spring and Fall here in Northern Illinois.

Doster's L & L
03-05-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Lawn-Scapes
Why would you do it after a pre-m has been applied.. breaking the barrier?

EXACTLY!!! Well put, lawnscapes!

bastalker
03-05-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by mtdman
Actually, although I am no weed control expert, there has been lots posted here on aeration not breaking the pre-em barrier. It's somewhat of a matter of opinion.

IMO I really dont think it matters.....If you pre em before, it just simply pushes the pre em into the cores. If you do it after, it will just fall into the cores.....

Personally, I would pre-em afterwards....

James Cormier
03-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Wow....YOu guys need to read up on how a pre m barrier works, and what not to do after applying it, READ the lable

"IMO I really dont think it matters.....If you pre em before, it just simply pushes the pre em into the cores. If you do it after, it will just fall into the cores....."

Thats the worst advise I have ever seen, Why would you give someone advise that you no nothing about?

bastalker
03-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Didn't give advice....I gave an opinion.....

myoder
03-05-2004, 10:24 PM
I would do it aerate when the turf is growing actively, so in the spring and early fall for us up here in the northeast...

2 man crew
03-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Fall if your going to aerate one time. (Minnesota)

1) Plugs on top of the lawn are less of an issue for customers in the fall.

3) The plugs melt away through the winter and early spring

4) Early spring can be too wet for proper aeration.

5) The window between regular cutting and fall clean up make perfect time for aeration.

6) Spring is too busy for something that is already recommended for fall service.

7) If you use a pre-em you can't up sell over seeding with your aeration in the spring.