View Full Version : Thoughts on Barricade

Shady Brook
03-05-2004, 02:03 AM
I am prepareing to put down a round of preemergent on my susceptable lawns. I used Dimension last year, but did not go split apps and had to pay the price with some crabs.

I am looking for info on Barricade. I am in Northwest IN, and wondered what application rate I should go with? I am interested in personal experiences with it in comparison to Dimension. Also if someone can give me a ballpark price of Barricade like a 5-5-25 .38 AI, compared to a similar Fertilizer with Dimension at .13 Ai.

Really any thoughts on the subject would be great. I know they label it to control some broadleaf weeds, any info on which ones it does control? I would really like to hear from Jim (Groundkprs), and Tremor. But who wouldn't? :D

03-05-2004, 03:57 PM
I am fairly new at this but the golf couse I work on has had
Barricade sprayed on it for 5 years.
This year weed control was ot good. So what coul have happened?

03-05-2004, 07:19 PM
Used Barricade for the last four years. I really like it. Yards greened up nice and kept the crab under control. .37barricade 24-06-12 20% 12,500 Sq Ft. 50 lb bag is around 26.00. Get it down before the temp. gets to 55 for 5 days in a row

Shady Brook
03-05-2004, 08:43 PM
Thanks Madmax

Have you noticed any benifit in prevention of some of the broadleaf weeds that it is labeled for? I was thinking 4-5 lb's per thousand would be a good rate. $26 is pretty healthy, but if it keeps the crabs out, and avoids split apps later, it is likely worth every penny. I was looking at some at some 5-5-20, I hate to send the grass into a frenzy with a lb of N in the Spring. I was looking at something that had fertilizer, Barricade, and some Gallery type product. Sounds like an awesome combo, but suspect the price is not for the faint of heart.

03-05-2004, 09:35 PM
I have used Barricade in the past and had decent results with the product. I have used dimension the past few years and have had good resluts as well. Price wise they are nearly a wash, but the additional control provided for broadleaf weeds and being able to get away from the yellow staining were a main reason for opting to use Dimension. If you had the water we had last summer I doubt very many products controlled their best with those conditions, so it might be hard to judge Barricade on those grounds.

03-05-2004, 10:45 PM
I would say the conditions here in south Louisiana are a tad bit
different than say Ohio or Indiana. That said have yall used Barricade consistently in the same area of grass year after year?

03-06-2004, 01:09 PM
madmax said, "Get it down before the temp. gets to 55 for 5 days in a row

Is that max or min temperatures?
Is that air temp or soil temps?
Where did you get the information?