PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Barricade

Shady Brook
03-05-2004, 02:03 AM
I am prepareing to put down a round of preemergent on my susceptable lawns. I used Dimension last year, but did not go split apps and had to pay the price with some crabs.

I am looking for info on Barricade. I am in Northwest IN, and wondered what application rate I should go with? I am interested in personal experiences with it in comparison to Dimension. Also if someone can give me a ballpark price of Barricade like a 5-5-25 .38 AI, compared to a similar Fertilizer with Dimension at .13 Ai.

Really any thoughts on the subject would be great. I know they label it to control some broadleaf weeds, any info on which ones it does control? I would really like to hear from Jim (Groundkprs), and Tremor. But who wouldn't? :D

Thanks
Jay

cantspranomo
03-05-2004, 03:57 PM
I am fairly new at this but the golf couse I work on has had
Barricade sprayed on it for 5 years.
This year weed control was ot good. So what coul have happened?

madmax
03-05-2004, 07:19 PM
Used Barricade for the last four years. I really like it. Yards greened up nice and kept the crab under control. .37barricade 24-06-12 20% 12,500 Sq Ft. 50 lb bag is around 26.00. Get it down before the temp. gets to 55 for 5 days in a row

Shady Brook
03-05-2004, 08:43 PM
Thanks Madmax

Have you noticed any benifit in prevention of some of the broadleaf weeds that it is labeled for? I was thinking 4-5 lb's per thousand would be a good rate. $26 is pretty healthy, but if it keeps the crabs out, and avoids split apps later, it is likely worth every penny. I was looking at some at some 5-5-20, I hate to send the grass into a frenzy with a lb of N in the Spring. I was looking at something that had fertilizer, Barricade, and some Gallery type product. Sounds like an awesome combo, but suspect the price is not for the faint of heart.

Thanks
Jay

grassguy_
03-05-2004, 09:35 PM
I have used Barricade in the past and had decent results with the product. I have used dimension the past few years and have had good resluts as well. Price wise they are nearly a wash, but the additional control provided for broadleaf weeds and being able to get away from the yellow staining were a main reason for opting to use Dimension. If you had the water we had last summer I doubt very many products controlled their best with those conditions, so it might be hard to judge Barricade on those grounds.

cantspranomo
03-05-2004, 10:45 PM
I would say the conditions here in south Louisiana are a tad bit
different than say Ohio or Indiana. That said have yall used Barricade consistently in the same area of grass year after year?

timturf
03-06-2004, 01:09 PM
madmax said, "Get it down before the temp. gets to 55 for 5 days in a row

Is that max or min temperatures?
Is that air temp or soil temps?
Where did you get the information?