PDA

View Full Version : Which trailer brand????

Big M LawnnSnow
03-05-2004, 04:26 AM
Well with an exmark Z and a 36in WB, plus the 21in
all blowers and trimmers. and all the tools of the trade.
I'm thinking about a new 20' trailer.
I'm guessing thats not overkill
Theres some great brands out there, but which one for the job?
Wellscargo looks good but i'm still undecided.
Anybody have any new info on trailer brands and costs?
Thanks
MJ

lawndude2004
03-05-2004, 07:46 PM
My suggestion for what you have currently would be a 14' tandem axle trailer. it will fit a 60" Z , a 48 walk, and a 36 walk. a 16' trailer will fit two 60" z and a walkbehind. the smaller the trailer the better gas mileage and the easer it is to maneuver.

Check out H&H trailers-- I have looked around alot and I can say that they are the finest trailer made. I was quoted $1800.00 for a 14'x6.5 tandem 4wheel electric brakes, a brake-away box, electric jack!!, solid sides and the best ramp and latch design I have seen check their web out

This is just my thoughts and experience though

Blades of Steel
03-05-2004, 10:00 PM
I am Big Tex fan myself!

cowcutter
03-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Anyone have a dump trailer/ mower setup? Im fixen to have one built, 14 x 8 custom dump., 12000 gvw. High price of 9000.00 , I compared to a Brimar, which is about 8000 .00 , but not as strong. This is alot higher than my current 16 footer no dump at 800.00. But not apples to apples.Can anyone get one cheaper?

Shady Brook
03-06-2004, 12:28 AM
Cowcutter

You are going to have a whopper of a ramp to get from a deckover to the ground in a dump config without a dove tail. I assume you will go deckover as you said 8 wide. Could be an awesome tool, and I think you can get cheaper. I used to have a link to a trailer site that had flat bed dumps and some other custom stuff in the 20 foot range for, I believe around 7,000. I don't think it was a deck over, but plenty of length. If I find it, I will post it.

I wish you well
Jay

NNJLandman
03-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Big M go to 7 Eleven or some place look for a Heavy Equipment Trader, they usually advertise trailer businesses there have some prices etc. Good luck

Jeff

Lux Lawn
03-06-2004, 01:22 PM
I just ordered a 6.5x 16 7000 gvw open trailer from Parker Performance they are good solid trailers.

cowcutter
03-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Jay, I appreciate your reply. I today spent 3 hours at the custom shop and told him to roll with it. I did alot of comparing and figuring, and although I'm not getting a great deal, I feel like I'm not getting robbed either.These guys mainly deal with trucks , but they just finished a trailer similar to mine.This trailer is 16' x 88'' inside. The back 11 Ft. dumps , front 5' stationary.26'' sides, drop down sides (6' on each side)Front side gate 5' for small mowers, normal back lawn gate.2 axle brakes.rubber lights,remote hookup in truck and on trailer,d-rings,l600 hoist(much stronger than Brimar or any other normal trailer),Divider between dump and other,6 or 7000 lb. axles.Also,rear gate is double acting for dumping purposes.This trailer is extremely expensive compared to my 800.00 trailer i now have,but I'll be able to mow and landscape with it.When I recieve it, I'll attempt to show it on here. I'm glad I found this site .

Shady Brook
03-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Cowcutter

Sounds like a pretty neat well thought out beast. I am sure it will serve you well, and last a very long time. If they had a 20 foot goose neck like that....Anyway:D.

I am just currious, I am looking at trailer options now as well....
How long are the trailer gates going to be? If it is a deck over, I figure you would need at least 6 ft gates. Going to be super heavy, especially that rear one. I have never seen a double acting that was that large. If so, sounds really neat. Maybe you said the side gate was 5 foot... not sure if that was what you ment, but make sure it will not be too steep that your mowers hang up.

You said that it had 6' drop sides, and 26" sides? I was not sure what you ment there.

Will you have any problems with lack of tonge weight if you have a big load in the dump box with little weight in the front? Not sure if the design is different then my imagination, but most trailers of a tag nature have trouble if their is not significant tongue weight.

What I think would be awsome is a big Goose with a small partitioned section up front for materials. I would like to have particians that I could make that section 4'-8' in length, or just pull out the divider for long branches that could be the length of the trailer itself. You could even mount a hoist on the front, something similar to an ez dump that would dump to the side of the trailer so you would never have to unhook the trailer to dump. I think it would work in a goose config where it may have tongue weight problems in a tag.

Share more when you get a chance Cowcutter.

Thanks
Jay

cowcutter
03-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Jay, one of these days i'll be on here at the same time as yall.The 6 ' drop is 6' wide, running the length of the trailer.26'' high.The front -side gate is 5' wide, it will be fairly steep , although it's being designed to fold in half,for looks more than anything.As far as it being to steep, it wont matter as much as the rear , since all i'll be loading from the side is push's & walks, , where the wheely method is used easily.We had to do alot of head scratching on the rear gate to figure out how to not have a big , or long 8' gate , or a dove tail.we are going to put a 5' gate i believe, and ill have to tilt the trailer some to even it out, or curb the grade, so to speak.I dont believe this will take more than 15 to 20 seconds.One thing I have calculated is the price of a simple trailer to just carry mowers, and a seperate trailer for dump, and I came up with About 8000.00. But for me, this rig will hopefully serve all my needs.

cowcutter
03-06-2004, 06:09 PM
I forgot to reply on the tongue weight . i'm relying on the builders to make it work out with the axle placement .The way it sounded it should be fine.I dont like goosenecks as they rob me of truck bed space, I dont have alot as it is with a tool box and fuel tank.Go U.K., just kidding.

Shady Brook
03-06-2004, 07:27 PM
U. Who.? Ha ha
Cowcutter

I was just thinking today how I grew up likeing IU, and much of the reason had to do with Knight. Not commenting on his character, but IU was IU because of who and how Knight recruited and coached.

If you will bare with my density for one quick second, you say the trailer is 26" tall? I can not see how it can be 26" tall at the deck if the trailer has an interior width of 88? For it to be 88, and road legal, it must sit above the wheels, which would make it considerably more then 26". Most deckovers are around 37". Most decks between the tires are 82, but never seen anything over 84. Not a huge deal, just currious.

I know what you mean about giving up the bed, but with a goose you can still have a tool box up front, and maybe some side boxes, or something mounted near the tailgate... like a job box or something. I would love to have lots of space in my truck so I did not need to find some place on the trailer for it. I saw a neat design from a company called Brute Industries. They have a 8x8 platform above the hitch where you could put all kinds of goodies. Great for spare tires and odds and ends you did not mind getting raked by low hanging limbs.

Ah... It is fun to dream.
I am excited for you man. Where abouts you live? Lexington area?

Take care
Jay
And welcome to the site.

Shady Brook
03-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Cowcutter

I found that site. Check it out, and tell me what you think. They have some pretty neat stuff. I really like the landscaper special.
Take care.

http://www.northshreve.com/frameset.htm

cowcutter
03-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Hey Shady, The deck on this one is not quite a deckover, and not a low profile, I've got so many figures in my head, and the deck is one I didn't write down, It might be 31'' / but the sides are 26'' for sure.One thing I do think I'll like is unloading mulch with the higher deck.It'll be a long 5 weeks waiting for this thing, cross your fingers for me that it all works out.Oh, I live in Owensboro.