PDA

View Full Version : ? on battery operated hand shears

GarPA
03-05-2004, 04:59 AM
I just signed on a property where they have too many evergreens that they have shaped into the rounded balls...I forget what plants they are but they are evergreens..most are 5 to 6 feet high and a few feet wide. Years ago I had a mickey mouse pair of of rechargeable Black and Decker hand shears but they were almost worthless. But there may now be better ones out there...know of any?

Theres at least 10 of these plants on one property and I;d rather not be holding the heavy Echo gas hedge clipper when I could use something allot smaller for the detail work...thanks for your input

ps..if you have any tips on a good way to estimate time (not $) for trimming/pruning, I would greatly appreciate that. When I use a hard number estimate, about half the time I screw myself. Sometimes I use a range of price like betweeb $100 and $150 but some customers want a firm number, not a range. This is one service that I'm not good at estimating just by looking at it. THe cleanup is where I always underbid..appreciate your advise

allstar
03-05-2004, 07:36 AM
I also have some B&D clippers with 14.4V rechargeable power pack that I purchased 2 years ago for around $75.I still use them a pretty good bit and they work fine.Now they're nowhere near as powerful as my Stihl's but for light cutting and shaping are hard to beat.They are so light you can trim one-handed.I can get an hour's worth of trimming per charge.

GarPA
03-05-2004, 07:55 AM
are yours the ones that have the overlap blades in the front with v shaped blades that stick out only a few inches? I dont remember mine costing that much so maybe I didn;t buy the right ones?

allstar
03-06-2004, 07:43 AM
I have the B&D 20 in.cordless Hedge Hog.The overall length is about the same as my Stihl HS45 clippers.Like I said,they're not that great for badly overgrown shrubbery but I've touched up as many as 25 bushes on one charge before.

dreisman
03-06-2004, 08:17 AM
Why are you using a battery operated hedge trimmer anyway. They may be good for a home owner but they will not take a beating on the job site. Get a pair of gas trimmers and you can do the job twice as fast.

The average shrub 3 to 5 feet tall and 2-4 foot wide should take about 5-7 minutes to trim and clean up. take you amount of shurbs times whatever time you think it takes you to trim and clean and multiply ithat times your hourly rate.. That should put you in the ball park

Doc Pete
03-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by GarPA
Theres at least 10 of these plants on one property and I;d rather not be holding the heavy Echo gas hedge clipper when I could use something allot smaller for the detail work...thanks for your input

Now you know why to buy the "Mid size" non articulated Hedge trimmer. Balance is absolutely perfect, manueverability is great and they are second to none doing detail work.
DP

GarPA
03-06-2004, 08:39 AM
Dreisman...I already have 2 ECHO gas machines. They work fine but they're overkill and heavy when doing shaping work on small specimens...hence my ? on the battery machines

GarPA
03-06-2004, 08:41 AM
doc..is that a split shaft machine you have in the pic? maybe I need to just buy a small add on attachment shear

allstar
03-06-2004, 09:12 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dreisman
[B]Why are you using a battery operated hedge trimmer anyway.

Because it's very lightweight and seems to work fine for minor cutting and shaping.I still use my Weedeater trimmer for the same reason even though I have two nice JDs.

ElephantNest
03-06-2004, 09:13 AM
Also, Doc, what are your opinions on the articulating ones vs. the ones you have there? More power? I need some, but really need the 90* angle for tops of hedges that are too high to reach. Your thoughts?

Thanks

sildoc
03-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by ElephantNest
Also, Doc, what are your opinions on the articulating ones vs. the ones you have there? More power? I need some, but really need the 90* angle for tops of hedges that are too high to reach. Your thoughts?

Thanks
ElephantNest.
I was in the market for both an articulating hedge trimmer and a new edger. I liked the stihl edger FC85 and found out that you can buy the articulatint or fixed hedge trimmer attachment. less than a minute to change over and i only have a few customers that I use it on so I have a dedicated edger and when I need it an articulating hedge trimmer all for less than 550.00. Both machines together would cost almost a grand.
Good luck I did like shinnys new articulator but thought that the combo was best for me.

Oh by the way the hedge trimmer attachment also fits fs85 on up in the stihl line.

Flipperneck
03-06-2004, 12:25 PM
Why not use gas powered for the bulk of the work and you lightweight one for detail.

Either that or just get used to the weight, eventually they won't feel as heavy.

Doc Pete
03-06-2004, 04:03 PM

Thanks

I don’t have the articulated head, but then again I haven’t found where I need it. I do think if you want to trim well, though, you need two machines. If I could only have one, if would be the mid size, since it can really do everything. All of the articulated models and ones you add the head to your weed whacker are “too long” for detail work. Naturally, longer is better for “other” work. Therefore, plain and simple, just as you have different mowers for lawns, you need more than one trimmer for pruning.
As far as the split boom thing, my “long” pruner is the split boom type of which I have modified so I can “add” another section to it make it really long. However, I use my mid size machine for 90% of all my work. I’ve found I like it better than an articulated head because the articulated gearbox gets in the way. Also, the articulated head is heavier and most of them have a shorter cutting area.

Grassmechanic
03-06-2004, 04:47 PM
I use good ol' fashion hand shears on small bushes that'll only take a couple of minutes.

ElephantNest
03-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Thanks. I have a brand new Stihl FS45 hedge trimmer, less than a few months old, an electric one for the wife, mulitple hand trimmers, shears, etc. But I need something for reaching farther, taller, with less ladder usage. I love Stihl, but shy away from their trimmers, just had real bad luck with them in the past. But I do love my HS45, and since I wouldn't be using them (hedgers) everyday......I just may have to look at them. I'm sure I'd take a beating here on LS after all of my "Stihl trimmers stink Shindaiwa rules" rantings. lol I ordered a Shindaiwa articulating hedge timmer from my dealer at the end of last winter.....never came in. Hmmmm

Doc Pete
03-06-2004, 06:26 PM
Thanks. I have a brand new Stihl FS45 hedge trimmer, less than a few months old, an electric one for the wife, mulitple hand trimmers, shears, etc. But I need something for reaching farther, taller, with less ladder usage.

Once you try a shaft trimmer, you'll throw the chainsaw style away.

Here's the Echo link
http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_list.asp?Category=HEDGECLIPPER

GarPA
03-07-2004, 03:27 AM
ya know Doc you just may be right about that...I can see how you would have more leverage with the shaft style and it would be less tiring in the arms....might have to add another toy to my toybox...

Doc Pete
03-07-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by GarPA
ya know Doc you just may be right about that...I can see how you would have more leverage with the shaft style and it would be less tiring in the arms....might have to add another toy to my toybox...

Take your weed wacker, hold the trigger with your one hand and then just grab shaft, not the handle, as it was a spear and you've got exactly how comfortable it will feel.

lawnman_scott
03-07-2004, 09:08 AM
Thanks. I have a brand new Stihl FS45 hedge trimmer, less than a few months old, an electric one for the wife, mulitple hand trimmers, shears, etc. But I need something for reaching farther, taller, with less ladder usage. I love Stihl, but shy away from their trimmers, just had real bad luck with them in the past. But I do love my HS45, and since I wouldn't be using them (hedgers) everyday......I just may have to look at them. I'm sure I'd take a beating here on LS after all of my "Stihl trimmers stink Shindaiwa rules" rantings. lol I ordered a Shindaiwa articulating hedge timmer from my dealer at the end of last winter.....never came in. Hmmmm Doc pete is right, the echo is better than the stihl in my opioion. I buy all stihl otherwise, but the echo is much lighter than stihl and it gets heavy when trimming alot. I have the extended with the articulating head, but i dont use the articulating feature much at all. Cant see what you are doing. But with the extended one you can use a step ladder, or stand on a mower. I dont like to haul out the ladder for anything.

Fareway Lawncare
03-07-2004, 09:41 AM
Hello, you might want to consider an Extended Bar Single Sided trimmer. The off-set handle gives it excellent balance & control, & is less fatiguing than a double. The added bar length is also nice.