PDA

View Full Version : Aerate before or after pre-emergence app.?

Farbio
03-05-2004, 11:46 AM
Should I do my aerations before or after I put down dimension 270G this spring. I use the granular products over liquid. I am new to herbicides and was just wondering if this would affect the barrier. Thanks.

James Cormier
03-05-2004, 12:00 PM
I would avoid aerations all together in the spring, but if you do you need to aerate first then pre-m.

I think any chemical has a hard time crossing the aeration hole in the spring so I would recommend doing your normal apps in spring and aerate in late summer early fall

sodzilla
03-05-2004, 04:42 PM
The Certified Turfgrass Professional course I'm taking through PLCAA and the Un. of Georgia states that aerating has no signifcant affect on the barrier. Detahtchind does but aerating doesn't. Don't ask me why. But thats what the book said.

envi lawn
03-05-2004, 05:37 PM
It seems that aeration should be performed prior to preemergent control as to not disturb the barrier created .

timturf
03-05-2004, 06:23 PM
sodzilla is correct,
but I would aerify before I put down pre emerge if possible, but it isn't necessary!!!

tremor
03-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Agreed. Given the easy (read profitable) choice apply after. But poking aeration holess through the barrier has very little impact on crabgrass control. Get the production done.

mikesturf
03-06-2004, 06:45 AM
I took a course on weed control with the U of Illinois. The professor showed us a study that showed no difference if you aerate before or after pre-M. And no, I could not get a copy of the study.

TSM
03-06-2004, 12:26 PM
I am also familiar with the studies. However, its been my hands-on experience that you want to aerate first then apply your control.

I also agree that aeration is best left for the latter part of the season

timturf
03-06-2004, 01:00 PM
tsm said "I also agree that aeration is best left for the latter part of the season"

that is correct for most situations!

James Cormier
03-06-2004, 06:03 PM
in my 19 years I ve seen alot of studies that didnt jive with the real world, I believe the Placcca study was saying aerate before prem and results wouldnt be effective.

Also read the label of any pre m product, it states right on there "Dont disturbe the barrier" To me aeration would disturb the barrier
Im sorry if my advise comes off as cocky or arrogant, and if anyones is offeneded its not intentional

Pilgrims' Pride
03-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Seems to me that crabgrass needs heat & light to germinate.

Niether of those two are found in a little bitty aeration hole.

'Been makin the grass grow for nearly 20 years and I see no difference in crabgrass control before or after spring aeration.

I agree with those studies.

I'd say go ahead and aerate when you can.

Have a great year,

Bob

SodKing
03-07-2004, 08:54 AM
Split your pre-m apps between the first two applicaitons and aerate in between both of those.

Grassmechanic
03-07-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Pilgrims' Pride
Seems to me that crabgrass needs heat & light to germinate.

Niether of those two are found in a little bitty aeration hole.

What about the potential crabgrass seeds that are laying on top of the lawn in all those cores?