PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Super Mini Z 52

Native
03-05-2004, 11:44 AM
I'm getting back into the business and planing on buying a 52 Super Mini Z. I have always run Walkers in the past. My concern is will the Z cut as well as the Walker or Close. I'm not going with the Walker this time because I need the speed and less maintenance.
I will be working alone this time and not going with 2 crews like before. Does anyone have any input on this,
Thanks

Huften Lawn Care
03-05-2004, 01:16 PM
I have not owned a Hustler, but have owned other Z's. Knowing what you can expect out of the Walker I do not think you will be satisfied with the Z. If you are still working in the same market and need that superior finished product, stay with the Walker.

slplow
03-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Native, I am also thinking about the super mini Z. I think the cut will be around the same as the walker. But like my walker, if the grass is growing 3'' a week you have to double cut. The shallow deck does not have alot of vacume to it . I am also going to look up a exmark 52'' hp z. They have a deeper deck and are short like the hustler mini.

DLS1
03-05-2004, 03:29 PM
I got the Super mini Z and it cuts great. I demoed an EXmark ztr and both cut the same to me. I feel I got more value for my money with the Hustler. Whatever you get, get one with springs built into the seat so you don't take a beating from bouncing around all day.

Native
03-05-2004, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm so impressed with this site it's great that we can all help each other out in business.

Spring seat for sure.

Keep sending any input on the Super Mini Z I'm just trying to do all my homework before buying a machine.

The price isn't the isue and I picked the Mini Z 52'' because of the overhang on the deck for trimming and smaller,instead of the full size Z that is wider no everhang on the 52" full size.

specialtylc
03-05-2004, 07:17 PM
I looked at those at the dealer. First thing that popped into my mind was it looked like a mexican low-rider. You wont be hopping any curbs with it.

mowerconsultant
03-05-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by specialtylc
You wont be hopping any curbs with it.

The Mini Z and Super Mini Z go over curbs fine, just like any other mower on the market.

specialtylc
03-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by mowerconsultant
The Mini Z and Super Mini Z go over curbs fine, just like any other mower on the market.

Not with 5 inches of clearance under the rear frame and deck. Get your tape measure out and check it. Hustler full size Zs are not much better.
Dont get me wrong. Its not that I dont like Hustler machines. We love our 37 inch walk behind. Just dont like the Z riders. And yes I have run one for two week demo last spring.

mowerconsultant
03-05-2004, 07:56 PM
I have climbed many curbs with the Mini, I have run them on all types of properties over the last couple of years doing demo's, I have not found a curb I could not easily get over.
I am sure there are some higher ones out there than what I have seen, but I have climbed all the ones I have come across.

Pj

flyboy
03-05-2004, 09:26 PM
specialtylc- You have to be the first person that I've heard of that demoed a Hustler and didn't buy it on the spot. What machine even remotely comes close to the Hustler? It ain't Exmark, Scag, Walker, Toro, etc... Hustler is in a class of their own. That's the bottomline.

specialtylc
03-05-2004, 09:44 PM
I tried the rest and bought what is the best for me Kubota ZD21. Its got great features not on most other machines.
water cooled diesel
pivoting front axle
drive shafts( Not belts & pulleys)
double V belt on deck spindles
hydraulic deck lift
large tires
hydraulic deck PTO
suspension seat
built in front axle mower jack
cuts most lawns at 9.5m.p.h.
Disperses clippings evenly
Good ground clearance
crappy bagger system( but I dont bag with it )

scannon
03-05-2004, 10:01 PM
It has been in the mid 70's all week in Atlanta. Grass is comming
on. The local guys are running there patterns on fescue. Bermuda is still dormant. (sure it's greening @ the roots ). I was out driving today. Drove past a guy working a commercial account with a walker. Man it sure was a great cut. (not scalping yet ). But he looked like a turtle in slow-mow. Just happens that the property next to it, was a guy cutting bemuda with a Lazer. It did look good, but not as good as the walker cut. An A compared to A++.
But the lazer opperator was loading his tractor on the trailer, and the property was twice the size. Who knows when they Both strated? Apples and oranges, I guess?

kmeforou
03-05-2004, 11:02 PM
I don't like my Hustler and I supposedly have the best(superZ). You may want to try a Gravely. I was very impressed with it. They now have the 34" zero turn for under four grand. The only week link I saw on this unit was that it would not hold a hill very well. Use your Walker for this. This unit has a speed up to 10mph too. If I am not mistaken, the mini does not have a pro quality hydralic system, but the Gravely does. You can confirm this by checking the number of pumps and wheel motors. Here again, if I am correct, something goes wrong with this unit, you may find that you have between a six and seven hundred dollar repair bill, after the warrenty period. The reason is that if something goes bad, you will have to replace the whole system. Whereas if you buy one with a quality system(non self contained), your costs should be far less. Reconfirm my statements. I hope I have been able to help you.

mowerconsultant
03-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by kmeforou
If I am not mistaken, the mini does not have a pro quality hydralic system

The Mini Z has the same type of system used on the Hustler Z and many other large frame ZTR's on the market, Hydro-Gear BDP-10 pumps, and White CE-12 wheel motors (the Hustler Z uses Ross MB-15 wheel motors).
In FACT...the Super Mini Z he is looking at buying has a better system...it uses LARGER pump's (Hydro-Gear BDP-16) and the wheel motors again are White CE-12's.
The Super Mini also uses a hydro cooler, and has a ground speed of 13 mph.
The mower you are thinking of that has a different system is the FasTrak, it is a homeowner unit, and uses the Hydro-Gear IZT's, these are self contained hydro pumps (with the BDP-10 charge pump in them) with a gear reduction system built into 1 unit.
The FasTrak uses 2 of these, 1 per drive wheel.
These are used on a couple of commercial grade unit's from other mfg's out there.

Pj