PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to a JRCO tine rake?

PaulJ
03-05-2004, 12:19 PM
I've used Jrco rakes in the past but don't have one now.

I know they work well for cleanups and light de. But they are a bit pricey for what you get. around $350 or more last I checked.
I was wondering if anyone has ever made something else work.
Maybe a simple tow-behind adapted to mount on the front of a mower? The bracket would be easy but getting the right wheels on it might be tricky.

I did rig a snapper 32" thatcheriser on my lesco walkbehind but need something bigger for my 48" hustler. and I am watching my pennies this year.

PaulJ
03-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Anyone heard of lower prices on the Jrco? Where?

tiedeman
03-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Actually, that price seems pretty low to me. Last time I checked on JRCO stuff the average was around $500+

bastalker
03-07-2004, 12:38 AM
Go here for the jrco products...........

http://www.precoparts.com./

You can modify alot of things to get the dead grass out of a customers yard. Heck Home Depot sells a tine rake for a hundred bucks, that you could pull behind your walk behind....I imagine if you go over thier yard several times, it would look real impressive to the customer...I use to do this a few years ago, an it works great. You will just have to spend more time there, and really drive over the lawn alot....

Whether you spend $400 for a jrco, or $100 for a small tine rake, it will do the same thing. You will just have to spend a little more time using the $100 rake....

gogetter
03-07-2004, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by PaulJ

Maybe a simple tow-behind adapted to mount on the front of a mower

Paul, here's something you can look at. I think it's like $199:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/catalog/product/prodDisplayImage.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&imgPath=%2Fdata%2Fproduct_images%2F071%2F24300%2F07124300000-dlv.jpg&prdName=Craftsman+38+in.+Front+Tine+Dethatcher&itemNo=07124300000&manuModelNo=24300

Considering you'll have to "rig" it to fit, and the fact that it's basically a homeowner item, you'd probably be better off spending the money for the JRCO, but I thought you might want to look at if for ideas at least.

PaulJ
03-08-2004, 07:51 AM
I know that the jrco is worth the money and a well built unit. I just am not sure if there is much differenc in that and the tow behind agrifab ones. Does the jrco have more tines per inch? heavier tines? stronger frame?. Are their any other COMMERCAL tine rakes on the market? The crafts amn might be worth a look if they make a 48" unit. Just trying to see all the options.

KathysLGC
03-08-2004, 10:20 AM
Landscapers supply has it for $350 but then the bractet is another $80 and when you add tax you'll be close to $500. I am going to be getting one and a leaf plow.

chevyman1
03-08-2004, 11:55 AM
With this dethathing piece, can I basically 'rake' an entire yard as if I were to do it by hand with a rake?

soccerlawn
03-08-2004, 07:01 PM
Can I put the JRCO dethatching unit on a toro z 100?

BobR
03-08-2004, 07:51 PM
SOCCERLAWN -- When I ordered my jrco tine rake and mounting bar I told them that it was for a Toro z150 and the company person told me that that machine was not on their list for a proper mounting bar, told the lady that the Exmark Z HP is the same as a Toro z 150 - she had that bar and sent out the complete order.. It fit like a champ. This was 5 years ago they might have a listing for the Toro z 100 series now..

BobR

edward hedrick
03-08-2004, 08:32 PM
I have a Sears rake the price was $ 109. I made a mount using

b-line electrical channel. I use 2 U bolts to mount it on a Walker.

There is a photo in Turf North April 03 of my 52 Lesco w rake

on front. Ed

soccerlawn
03-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the information, BobR. i think I will try it out.

PaulJ
03-10-2004, 12:31 AM
well thanks for the replies.

got a price through lesco for the jrco rake and mount for $409.
have to check some other places.
Ed what size rake did you get from sears? hows it holding up?
chevy, yes you can rake the lawn with it. one pass is like pulling the hand rake over it once. It does a nice job of lifting matted grass. many passes will get up a good amount of thatch and debris. And the mower bags it up as you go.

PaulJ
03-10-2004, 12:35 AM
This is what I did for a tine rake for my 36" a ouple years ago.

Runner
03-10-2004, 02:11 AM
Go with the JRCO, no matter where you get it from. To answer some of the questions, yes, the tines ARE thicker and tougher. There are many more of them, too. One pass is like a GOOD raking over with a rake. It combs all the stuff right out. As far as the mounting bracket, if you have different pieces of equipment that you want to run your JRCO attachments on, once you have one bracket, you'll see just how easy it is to build another one, much cheaper than 80 bucks. For that matter, if you knew anyone that has one, you could copy that. Actually, once you have an attachment, it isn't hard to make the bracket to match.

bastalker
03-10-2004, 02:16 AM
A few years ago, I went to home depot, an got a 36" tine rake an pulled it behind my walk behind. Did a good job for $100....Had to go over the yard a few times in 3rd gear.

Impressed the home owners with the amount of dead grass that it pulled up..

I am getting the 60" jrco for the lazer. It is an efficiency thing with me now.......

soccerlawn
03-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Paul J how is that mounted to the mower?
Is it just bolted on?

PaulJ
03-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Soccerlawn,

The pic above is a snapper thatcherizer from a snapper rear engine rider. I mounted it on a lesco 36". Originally the arms went down and hooked under the front on the snapper. I made the black bar and bolted it across the front, turned the arms over so they go up and hooked it on. I had to reinforce the wheel arm and weld a stop on it so it wouldn't go down to far and get bent under. It does the job ok but puts a lot of strain on the belt drive mower. So I want something bigger for the 48" hustler I got last fall. I'll probably get the jrco, just got to figure out how to make it cash flow.

PaulJ
03-10-2004, 06:24 PM
Here it is folded up for transport.

edward hedrick
03-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Paul, its similiar to the snapper. 40" wide. I've used it 5 years

saved $200. Thats almost a good trimmer. Its in My gear

Turf north April 03. Mounted on my Tbar Lesco.

PaulJ
03-25-2004, 01:15 AM
Well,
I bit the bullet and ordered the JRCO rake this morning. $389 plus tax. But I will have to put it together myself, no big deal. I ordered some extra tines also. I am looking forward now to using it for spring cleanups, and bigger dethatching jobs. even over seeding. I will post some pictures when I get it mounted to my hustler SWB. Thanks for all your help guys. If agrifab or craftsman had made a 48" front mount, I might have gone that way, but I think I will be happier with the JRCO even with the higher cost.

Runner
03-25-2004, 01:34 AM
What size did you get? I promise you will not be sorry. These things are just awesome! Definitely a worksaver, and a moneymaker.

PaulJ
03-26-2004, 01:20 PM
I got the 46" . It's still not 48" but close enough and closer than the 40" craftsman or agrifab. and I won't have to build a mount for it. Should be here monday.

gogetter
10-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Hey Paul, was searching for info on the JRCO and came across this older thread of yours.
So, did ya get to use it much? Glad ya got it?

I was searching to find out how easy it is to replace tines on it? And how much $$ are extra tines?
I'm looking at a used one that will need a few replaced.

KathysLGC
10-19-2004, 09:33 AM
If you find one used at a good price grab it. I got one used also but i had to order the universal mount. ($85.) I too had to replace some tines. They where easy to do. They cost me $1.80 each. I replace 10 but only two where broken and 8 where a bit bent. After installing the 10 i realize some of the others where a bit bent but it doesn't look like it would matter much.

Replacing the tines is nothing more then just removing one cotter pin and sliding 3 rods out. There is a 1" rod that is in the first hole of the tines and then there are two main rods holding the tines in at the base of the unit. Remove the thin rod in the rear first for easy removal.

some
10-19-2004, 11:53 AM
Hey Guys,
This is my second season in business.In March i purchased a o4 turf tiger 61" 29 kawi. I orderd the machine with the spindle driven collection system and also with the jrco tine rake.The tine rake cost me $500 assembled and installed on my new mower.Yes 500 is alot of money,but think about it,it makes good business sense to buy such an attachment for the front of the mower.

Once it was adjusted properly the thing works awsome!! I used it as part of a spring clean up package,as well as just going out and dethatching a lawn.The tine rake paid for it self within 4-5 dethatching jobs.My phone was ringing off the hook for this service.The only problem was i did not start my clean ups early enogh,i had to break it down in early may for mowing,and i was still getting calls.Just about every dethatching job i did,the people were home and watched in amazment how much dead grass it pulled up. Once i figured out how much to charge,i was doin pretty well money wise. I was getting 120.00 for about a 3/4-1 acre yard with minimal obstacles (60.00 an hour)

Bottom line is. Those of you on the fence about it or on a tight budget,just go for it spend the extra money now,and take care of it.Fitted to a mower with a collection system,and properly adjusted right it will work very well.

I cant say enough good things about it.Any questions just ask. :waving:

KathysLGC
10-19-2004, 01:52 PM
Thats one thing i forgot to mention. Proper height adjustment. When i got mine i just threw it on and tried it out at my place and it was too low. I raised it up 1/4" and it made a huge difference.

PaulJ
10-20-2004, 09:56 PM
I'm very happy wiht the jrco. I'm thinking about putting it on next week to help wiht fall c.eanup on a few properties. I have a couple lawns where the grass layed over in spots and got matted some. The rake should be just the thing to get them back in shape for winter.
I did have to call the company back and have them send me the correct (extra long) mounting arms for mine. either my dealer ordered wrong or they sent wrong.
years ago when I used one we broke a lot of tines so I ordered a bunch extra. I later found ot that they have changed to a stronger steel for the tines and they hardly ever break now. I didn't break any last spring. So I quess I have extra tines if anyone needs some.
I didn't get it thite early enough last spring but am really going to push the dethatching wiht spring cleanups next season.
I really like theeasy on and off of the unit. I usually raise it to trasport positoin for the final pass to really clean up the lawn, Or just four pins and it's off for straight mowing. Versitility, that's what I like in any machine.

kemmer
10-20-2004, 10:41 PM
I guess its to late, but heres mine. Its a craftsman with a tractor mount. i also made a leaf plow for it to, save me a bunch of money
http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27166&stc=1

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27162&stc=1