PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Turned Bad

TRex
03-05-2004, 06:22 PM
I dropped my wife and sister who is in town of at the mall and started off to the dealer I have been dealing with and who seemed to give me great service. They spent 20 minutes with me figuring what blades would work best for last fall. I walked in with plans to walk out with a new set of Kawasaki hand helds, well when I walked in everything seemed a little different. There were no more Exmarks and no more commercial Toro ( just home owner crap). They had a few Husky commercial mowers. They were loaded up with Encore and Country Clipper.

I started looking at they kawas any ways then a couple of wannabe salesmen walked up, my salesman was nowhere to be found. These guys dressed in T-shirts with dealers name on them clashed with on another on every word they spoke. They're appearance was that of a shade-tree mechanic hillbilly from the dukes of hazard.

I left in a hurry and did not look back, and now I need to find a dealer somewhat close to me. The main reason I started with this dealer was because of the service they originally gave me. Even though I had to drive 40 minutes to get there.

I am not sure if I should go ahead and buy the equipment or switch to a brand I do not want to regret getting either way.

Has anyone had similar problems with a dealer.

rodfather
03-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Is the dealership still owned by the same people? Sounds to me like there has been a change of command. Hope things work out for ya...man, I would be bummin' big time.

trying 2b organic
03-05-2004, 06:55 PM
I HATE my dealer but they are the only game in town. On another thread someone said you dont have to be friends with them, decide what you want before you go in then go in and order it. Its too bad cause I like to talk shop but they are really rude and snotty. (Almost as if they KNOW they are the only true pro place in our town of 80k)

In thier defence they let me return and exchange if I dont like something even if there is no defect. No real service probs just not likeable or helpful or nice. My alternatve is a big city 1.5 hrs away.

Lawn Dog2001
03-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Did you ask if your salesman still works there? Maybe he just wasnt in. Call the place and ask to talk to him. If they have changed managment and you are unhappy, I would find a new dealer. If they lose enough business they will straighten up their act real quick.

tiedeman
03-05-2004, 10:04 PM
sounds like a change in hands to me

Mowingman
03-05-2004, 10:15 PM
TRex,
Where are you located in the Metroplex.?Maybe I can help by recommending another dealer. Also, what is the name of the dealer who went bad. I don't want to waste time checking him out
if I am out and about shopping.:)

gene gls
03-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Chances are they were required to invest in a "floor plan" of equipment that they couldn't afford or didn't really want to stock. X-mark and Toro probably pulled their equipment and released them from being a dealer ship for that brand. I belive most brands have floor plans that require dealers to buy X-amount of different types of mowers for show. The overhead is way too high for the smaller dealers. Husqvarna set up a bunch of small dealers back in the early 90's. Then around 1995 they required thoes dealers to carry a huge investment of mixed equipment, even models that they had no chance of selling, or they were dropped as dealers. There were deals every where around here for Husky equipment because the small dealers were dumping the Husky brand because they knew that they were going to loose their Husky dealership.

Gene

NCSULandscaper
03-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by trying 2b organic
I HATE my dealer but they are the only game in town. On another thread someone said you dont have to be friends with them, decide what you want before you go in then go in and order it. Its too bad cause I like to talk shop but they are really rude and snotty. (Almost as if they KNOW they are the only true pro place in our town of 80k)

In thier defence they let me return and exchange if I dont like something even if there is no defect. No real service probs just not likeable or helpful or nice. My alternatve is a big city 1.5 hrs away.

Yea i hate my local dealer too, wish i had never bought my mower from them. But i do not mind driving the hour and 15 min. to my new dealer. They are a complete opposite from one another.

GrassBustersLawn
03-05-2004, 11:14 PM
I drive 20 miles one way to my (mom & pop) Exmark dealer. I could drive 5 miles to the MEGA Farm/Fleet store that also handles Exmark. It is a whole lot more pleasant doing business with the smaller store. They know me (and most if not all of their "regulars") by name, know my kids names, etc. At the MEGA store they might bother to know me if I bought a couple of $200k combines or a fleet of 20 Exmarks. :(

Mike

proenterprises
03-05-2004, 11:19 PM
it takes alot to make some dealers notice you. i have been forunate with mine, besides that fact that im the only person under 30 whose ever in their, all it took was 1 $250.00 echo purchase 3 years ago to be greeted by name and treated with respect every time i walk in.

this is how it should be, i dont want to be hassled with a salesman trying to cram some POS down my throat so he can collect commision or be given a cold shoulder because im not giving the $60,000.00+ per year.

each customer is just as valuable as the next, they should be treated so.

burnandreturn
03-06-2004, 12:18 AM
Trex, did you get my pm?

TRex
03-06-2004, 12:37 AM
The dealer is Garland Saw and Mower. They could have changed hands, but I think that they were just selling more to home owners than commercial cutters and made a change based on sales. I bought my Exmark there and they will no longer handle warranty work. This is the main reason I need to at least find a new dealer even if I go back and buy the hand held equipment. I did not even care to know if my salesman Chris still worked there after seeing the way the place had changed and I could see the direction they were trying to go with sales. The drive won't be the worry for me its the fact that when I need something they had it and if I walked in I was treated as well as I could have asked to be treated. And now I was getting this somewhat of a used car sales pitch from the guys that should been repairing things in the back, and no disrespect towards them but I would not walk out to get my paper in the morning looking like they did. I met with all the Exmark dealers around me that I could find and most seemed to blow me off or told me I needed to talk to their manager who never seemed to be there. If you have a great dealer in the area and would like to share, Thank You. Burn I am in Ennis its about 30 miles south of I-20

CNE
03-06-2004, 11:30 AM
NCSU, who do you deal with up in Raleigh? I deal with Musgrave Equipment Company in Golsboro. They have been super nice every time I've been in. Maybe that's because I pay cash. Either way, I get good service from them at good prices (I think). I bought a 60" Exmark 23HP Kohler for $7100 and a Gravely WB 48" 15HP Hydro Floating deck with 18 hours on it for $3,000

NCSULandscaper
03-06-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by CNE
NCSU, who do you deal with up in Raleigh? I deal with Musgrave Equipment Company in Golsboro. They have been super nice every time I've been in. Maybe that's because I pay cash. Either way, I get good service from them at good prices (I think). I bought a 60" Exmark 23HP Kohler for $7100 and a Gravely WB 48" 15HP Hydro Floating deck with 18 hours on it for $3,000

Right of Way Equipment on Hillsborough St. near the NC Fairgrounds.

ZaK18
03-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Here is a list of dealers in the DFW area I go to!

Arlington Lawn Equipment- off of North Fielder Rd. in Arlington
Gary's small engine repair- on davis Boulevard in Southlake
Outdoor World- on jacksboro hwy in Azle
Lawn and garden warehouse- on MCcart St. in Ft. Worth

My favorite dealer

A & B lawn and Garden - on River oaks Blvd. in Ft. Worth

Hope this helps!