PDA

View Full Version : "I'm on a Budget"

Gene $immons
03-05-2004, 06:59 PM
Call on voice mail today:

"Hello, I've been calling all around trying to get some estimates for lawn care. I'm on a budget, so I need good prices".

"I want to have my lawn sprayed, do you offer a one time deal? most of the places I have called don't offer one time spraying, but since I'm on a budget, I figure if you can spray it the first time for me, I can take over from there".

"Next, I need the lawn mowed real short. I do my own mowing in the summer, I just dont like doing the first cut. How much do you charge for mowing"?

"I also want to install some shrubs around my house over an 18 month time frame. Is there a way that you can buy the plants wholesale, and drop them off at my house for me to plant myself? "Could you also come by and look at my backyard and tell me what to plant? Do you charge for a design even if I do the work myself?

"Hope to hear from you soon, we want to get started this weekend if possible."

Ahhhh dont yoy love spring callers?

blankenshiplawncare
03-05-2004, 07:30 PM
Thats awesome! This is my first spring in the business. Is this what I should expect to hear?! Obfuscate (To make so confused or opaque as to be difficult to perceive or understand) the answer. Car dealers do it to us and we still buy cars.

Bob Minney
03-05-2004, 07:30 PM
I see you have spotted your first gray haired cheep-cheep of the season. More telling about the arrival of spring than a robin.

ksland
03-05-2004, 07:42 PM
You can't be serious!

You know where to tell that customer to go.:blob2:

Lawn Dog2001
03-05-2004, 07:42 PM
Maybe since she is on a budget, you can just do it all for her for free. People like this amaze me.

tiedeman
03-05-2004, 09:08 PM
I would still try to sell her some services, BUT give her literature on properly lawn maintenance, fertilization, aeration, etc.

Tell her that you will price it out, but before you give her the price you want her to read over the stuff first.

It could change her mind

DFW Area Landscaper
03-05-2004, 09:19 PM
I wonder if Chemlawn gets whacked out calls like this?

Yesterday, someone was posting about the customer who asked them to remove a rotting deer carcass from their lawn.

Geez. This industry needs an Public Relations overhaul.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

tiedeman
03-05-2004, 09:22 PM
if someone calls me to remove a dead deer, I would charge them so much. That is like a slap in the face.

LB Landscaping
03-05-2004, 09:25 PM
I'd at least give return the call, thank them for there interest but explain that you will not be able to help them.

GrassBustersLawn
03-05-2004, 10:07 PM
I gave a fert. quote at a roughly $1 mil lake front property today. 2 boat docks set up for 3 boats. Gave a breakdown for a 5 application plan. Owner showed up before I left. I explained the plan to him. "Could I just do the first app with the pre-emerg? He had alot of dandelions last year, but he thinks there is alot of stuff in there (apps.) that he doesn't need."

Economy must be bad when the MILLIONAIRES are getting CHEAP!

Mike

proenterprises
03-05-2004, 10:28 PM
oh man....now heres a headache and a half. i wouldnt even touch this one.

Nitroman
03-05-2004, 10:40 PM
gold and blue notre dame threw and threw:D

Avery
03-05-2004, 10:43 PM
Tell em you are on a budget too. Have to make money in order to stay in business.

2 man crew
03-05-2004, 11:16 PM
DFW Area Landscaper
"Yesterday, someone was posting about the customer who asked them to remove a rotting deer carcass from their lawn.

Geez. This industry needs an Public Relations overhaul."

Originally posted by tiedeman
if someone calls me to remove a dead deer, I would charge them so much. That is like a slap in the face.

That's the problem. Most of us including myself would do it for the right price.

Ryan Lightning
03-06-2004, 12:06 AM
I love the calls when they ask " how much to mow my lawn, it hasnt been done in 3-4 weeks, and its over grown."
You ask them how large is the lawn, " I dont know" You tell them you will have to look at it. " O Ill call someone else." are " I just wanted to know how much, Ill call you back"
Ive learned when they ask how much over the phone, to not go out of my way to look at the job, because 9 out of 10 times They want it done for $10 a hour.

dkeisala
03-06-2004, 12:41 AM
I just got sucked into one of these situations and still trying to figure a way out of it...repeatedly banging my head into the desk in the meantime.

KCLandscape
03-06-2004, 12:58 AM
I would scalp the first mow...no bag...and charge double...and then change my number

Scag48
03-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Honestly, I would bid the stuff they want done high. That'll make 'em think twice about screwing with us. :D

Phishook
03-06-2004, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by 60"dixie
gold and blue notre dame threw and threw:D

WTF? I agree, but WTF R U talking about?

Tharrell
03-06-2004, 04:40 AM
Tell her you're on a budget too and you have to charge enough to fulfill you're budget.

mtdman
03-06-2004, 04:45 AM
I wouldn't bother to return her call. Not even worth the time to call her back and say 'no'. What's she going to do, spread the word in the cheap-o community not to call?

:D

Gene $immons
03-06-2004, 09:03 AM
I will rarely not call back someone who calls my business.

I plan on having to explain how we operate, and then giving some prices, which I'm sure will be too high.

2 man crew
03-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Lawn care is a luxury. It's a service for people who can afford it. Why should some cheap shrew living in a fantasy world get a break on the price. I would give her a standard written estimate and one follow up call. Just like normal.