PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys service out of your locale area?

justmjc
03-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Got my first call of the season for a quote today from a lady in my city. However, her call was for her mother, who lived about 15-20 miles away, out of the city that I advertised in. Now, I know that's a lot of drive time for one account, and she already mentioned about a discount because she's a senior citizen. So she most likely will not pay the "drive" time and my rate, I'm sure. She is 100% out of the way of any of my accounts. I don't think I'm taking her on.

But, does anyone service out that far? I could see having a days worth of work out there, but not for one. What do you think? :rolleyes:

SodKing
03-05-2004, 08:31 PM
Just bid on a job that is about 4 hours away. I t should be a 3 week project worth about $70,000.

BW4486
03-05-2004, 08:32 PM
I dont think we do anything that is imside of 20 miles from us.
we have done properties as far as 100 miles, but I wouldnt recommend that

Rhett
03-05-2004, 08:38 PM
Depends on the drive time and if you are trying to expand into that area. Around here during the season a 30 mile round trip would be about five hours out of my day

Scenic Lawnscape
03-05-2004, 08:44 PM
Just mjc where is it at? If you dont want to take i might be interested depending where it is, i have accounts so far all over the area

olderthandirt
40 miles 1 way just to start work SodKing thats gotta be the largest chunk of lawn to mow and then you just have to start over so that 70k gonna turn into 49k by the end of mowing season lol Stick to installs you get to come home when your finished

Mac

SodKing
I will also say that our mowing and chemical crews don't out of the towns we service, generally with 25 miles of the office. I don't let the mowing crews stray out of the town they are servicing that day.

SodKing
03-05-2004, 08:49 PM
Mac,
that $70,000 job is an install down in CT retaining walls & patios. If i organize it well i think I can get the crew in and out in about 13 days.

justmjc
03-05-2004, 09:00 PM
Topgunlandscaping, pm me a way to contact you. I may pass on my overflow work, or distant accounts that are closer to you. No matter how I slice it, I'm looking at a 25 min drive time each way. I'm not looking to expand there either, so I'm not making any money that way.

mtdman
03-06-2004, 04:42 AM
Taking accounts that will require lots of drive time is not profitable, imo. Unless you can pin the customer to pay for the drive time. My very first attempt in this business I took jobs wherever they were. I was driving half the day, making no money. Doesn't make sense. If people call outside the area I mainly service, I don't take the gig. You don't have to take every job that comes your way.

:D

crawdad
03-06-2004, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by justmjc
Got my first call of the season for a quote today from a lady in my city. However, her call was for her mother, who lived about 15-20 miles away, out of the city that I advertised in. Now, I know that's a lot of drive time for one account, and she already mentioned about a discount because she's a senior citizen. So she most likely will not pay the "drive" time and my rate, I'm sure. She is 100% out of the way of any of my accounts. I don't think I'm taking her on.

But, does anyone service out that far? I could see having a days worth of work out there, but not for one. What do you think? :rolleyes:

...and she already wants a "senior discount?" Sure, figure your price, add in drive time, then "discount" it. Or, tell them that a senior discount would be age discrimination, "everyone gets the same fair price, regardless of age, sex, race, etc..."
Crawdad