PDA

View Full Version : Question?

Tim Baden
03-05-2004, 08:40 PM
A friend of mine lives in a mobile home park(300 units)and is going to start up a lawn service.He has used commercial mowers before.He asked me how much to charge but I am not sure.You would have to use 36-48 walk behind in there.Got any idea what I should tell him?
It's mostly retired people.

Runner
03-05-2004, 08:57 PM
If one can get enough of them in there, I've seen them go for as litle as $10. That is by someone legit. There are always your scrubs that can and will do it for less. (The guy that goes around with his mower sticking out of his trunk doing it for $5 to 7). The main thing is, is that while there isn't much grass to mow, there is a high liability. There are many obstacles to cut and trim around. There are all the old folks' Cadillacs parked everywhere just WAITING to take a pebble or a stick to there side, from the mower (Fleetwoods have BIG quarterpanels). Then, there is the biggest hinderance and slowdown of ALL when doing trailers - the skirting. An ordinary commercial string trimmer will rip through this stuff like it's paper, if you hit into it right. One of the tricks is to stay on the bead that holds the skirting in place. If you can keep the blade (meaning the string) at an angle of about 45 degrees, and just touch the bead with the tip of the string, then you're all right.

lawnman_scott
03-05-2004, 09:06 PM
It all depends on the size i would say. I used to do one, well parts of it. I did about 100 units for $7 per cut. It took about 10 man hours with a 52" Great dane. Lots of complaining, and chit chat though. I had to use my truck and trailer though, just couldnt get that Great Dane in my trunk no matter how hard i tried. Best to do if they are year round residents. Mine were only there 1/2 the year, so they had 95 year old Mildred watching their place, and she didnt see us there.....

tiedeman
03-05-2004, 09:21 PM
The big question, is the amount of trimming involved? $10 seems like a good idea if these lawns are like postage stamps.

LB Landscaping
03-05-2004, 09:27 PM
Tideman hit it on the head, mowing might be an easy buck but not if you have a ton of trimming!!!!

chefdrp
03-05-2004, 11:27 PM
i do a few in a tailer park. The ones i do are 20- 25 dollar ones. I do suppose if i had a ton or all of them to do i would be around 15

lawnman_scott
03-06-2004, 03:01 AM
So a good bid would be $3,000-$4,500 per cut for the entire place. Probably a good days work? That seems like an ok price then, if its going to take all day doesnt it? When you get there to do the account Tattoo can yell, the lawn guys boss, the lawn guys, Just like on fantasy Island, because thats about the only place you will get that kind of money.

Tharrell
03-06-2004, 04:33 AM
Just a few thoughts on trailer "parks" that I've encountered. Trash all over the place. No trees to hide from the sun. Long chains to pull the septic tank lid. Cars parked wherever they please. I've done that and won't go back.