PDA

View Full Version : Doppler Radar

M Raggs Yard Service
03-05-2004, 08:43 PM
Another cold, windy, rainy Seattle day.

Went to daughters school and joined her for lunch. Ariving home at 1p.m. and skys were starting to break and figuring this was short lived but decided to check local weather and looked at doppler radar on the computer. (Also had to check out lawnsite!)

I could see out past Wash. St. to Pacific Ocean and this a.m. storm was clearing out nicley. Ended up having a productive afternoon.

Do any other LCO'S use anything like this to assist you?

Spring is almost here. Yaa Hoo!!!!!

lawnman_scott
03-05-2004, 08:57 PM
there is a local station here owned by time warner, just news. They have a doppler radar on it that can be useful sometimes. I have used it sometimes in the summer when we get alot of rain.

tiedeman
03-05-2004, 08:58 PM
I use 4 different weather information; the local news, weather channel, intellicast, and weatherunderground

specialtylc
03-05-2004, 09:06 PM
I trust no forecaster. I can be right 50% of the time just like they do. WE mow the Doplar Radar site here and I can go in and ask the forecasters . Ask them if its going to rain all day and they say it sure will. 75% of the time its clear by noon and we are out mowing. Billons of dollars spent on this system nation wide and still not much better than forecasts 25 years ago.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-05-2004, 09:48 PM
I use this for my town http://www.wunderground.com/US/VA/Danville.html and then when all else fails go out side and look up

M Raggs Yard Service
03-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Specialyc:

Thats pretty interisting doing service @ a Doppler site.

I will agree that a lot has to do with good old fashion feel for weather but at times a little help from eyes seeing further out than you and I can only be helpful.

Where in Spokane is the site and how did you get to servicing this acct?

specialtylc
03-05-2004, 10:51 PM
Its just north of the Air base. Our shop is about 1.5 miles away. Its a federal bid. We do the snow plowing also. We have done this acct. for past 5 years. Have to rebid every year. If you have Federal sites you are intrested in , just go inside and tell them you would like to be on the bidder list.

General Grounds
03-05-2004, 10:53 PM
:blob3: i have the weather channel and accuweather.com on my verizon cell phone, gives me forcast and a doppler radar updated every 7 minutes, ive had it about a year now and has been a great tool on deciding weather to go home or to wait out the rain or when to call the guys in to start are walkways and salt procedure during snow events. tony

2 man crew
03-05-2004, 11:01 PM
I've got Doppler radar on my cell phone. Works great for plowing or to see if your going to get rained out during the summer. with out having to be in the office or carry around a laptop.

riden2low
03-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Try weatherbug.com

TRex
03-05-2004, 11:51 PM
I have the weatherbug and also use this http://www.weather.gov/radar/ .

KCLandscape
03-06-2004, 12:13 AM
NOAA is great, where do you think everyone else gets their info...
Knowlege of weather and how it happens can save your azz on a weekly basis. Worth reading up on. May of last year we had a major tornado outbreak, I saw it coming the night before.
I need to post some pictures of that chaos...WOW

KCLandscape
03-06-2004, 12:16 AM
Of course, here is my favorite weather site...
http://weather.noaa.gov/radar/mosaic.loop/DS.p19r0/ar.us.hi.shtml

I have weatherbug, but it is slow and full of bugs that I have to seek and destroy from the reg on a regular basis

Roger
03-06-2004, 11:55 AM
For those who have doppler on your cell phone:

What phone, what service have you subcribed to? Where do I start to get this kind of service?

This is something I need!

2 man crew
03-06-2004, 12:14 PM
I use Sprint. The phone has to be web capable. (most new phones are) The Radar service is through My Cast Weather. You just down load the service and it's in your phone for 30 days. The cost is $3.95 for 30 days. The only downside is the loop is only 30 min. vs noaa which is 5 hours long. But If your away from the office it gives you a real good idea of how long or short a storm is going to last. Well worth the $4.00