PDA

View Full Version : Retaining Wall Materials.

MowingisMaddness
03-05-2004, 11:44 PM
Hey All,

What are some alternatives to interlocking stones when building small retaining walls? I have used 25 lb and 75 lb interlocking stones and really want to do some new things. However, I am having a hard time getting information. The guys here at my stone provider arenít real helpful. When I ask them they talk about different types of flagstone that they carry, but donít offer a lot of insight on construction. I have done limited work using flagstone as edging, but no planters or walls. I guess you can dry stack small planters, but not walls. So that means you must mortar flagstone retaining(under 3 ft) walls? Back to the question:

1)What are some materials other than interlocking stones for small retaining walls and planters.

2)Could you explain a little about the construction of the wall using those materials?

Thanks, aj

landscapingpoolguy
03-06-2004, 04:01 PM
You can dry stack a natural stone wall......just has to have the proper batter aprox 1" for 1' of elevation....personbally i wouldnt go dry stack for a retainer just for garden walls. as far as materials i use penn rounds, field stone rounds, moss rock, colonial thins, and irregular flags.

Chuck

jajwrigh
03-06-2004, 05:42 PM
This is where you can be creative and experiment with new things!

bobbygedd
03-06-2004, 09:32 PM
what is "batter"? the amount of how far the first layer is underground?

GreenMonster
03-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
what is "batter"? the amount of how far the first layer is underground?

Batter is the vertical set back of the face.... that's not real clear is it?

Ex. Allan Block and other split face blocks are 8" or so high. There is a lip on the front of each block for the next course. Each course sets back about 1" beyond the course below it.

Make sense?

bobbygedd
03-06-2004, 10:25 PM
very clear. thanx