PDA

View Full Version : Enough is Enough

Kingbman1
03-06-2004, 02:53 AM
Is anybody getting sick of threads about scrubs? Everyday it seems theres another thread about scrubs. Let it go!

lawnman_scott
03-06-2004, 03:50 AM
No kidding. The "scrubs" can mow cheaper than us because they mow with an old 21 inch push mower, and we mow with a big 52-60 inch ztr. How does that work? Well they dont have ins, or....... Get over it and run your business.

Doster's L & L
03-06-2004, 04:23 AM
kingman, scrub has several different meanings on here. It can mean someone that has no signage, insurance, pays no taxes, etc. And another term is someone that they're pissed off at bacause they beat them out of a bid by a few dollars per month. Truth be known, scrubs could just quit working all together and mooch off of the gov't and we'd still end up paying their room and board. Either they work and beat us out of some money, or they quit working altogether and we still lose money.
The biggest arguement here is that they make professionals like us look bad. This is true. I get pissed off about it and want to raise some he!! sometimes. When the word, "scrub" comes out in the open, it opens a big can 'o worms, so i try to vent my anger off of the public forum.

EagleLandscape
03-06-2004, 04:30 AM
First off, just because you don't have signs, doesn't make you a scrub. I didn't get signs until recently, and I'm sure I could out perform quite a few people in here.
Plus I'm sure that the thought of some things, such as insurance, signs, and uniforms and what not don't cross their minds. Given, we all have to / (should) pay taxes.

Everybody please let the whole "scrub" thing, or I'll just start some thread "Complainers that have nothing better to do with their time" thread and I'll gladly start making a list.

Please, grow up.

GarPA
03-06-2004, 04:46 AM
yes it does get old doesn't it...we've only been full time in the biz for a few years and only on rare occasion has Joes Mow/N/Go caused me any wheel spinning and mostly I find their lowballing and poor quality of work with mulch bids. THere are guys around here spreading a yard of mulch for $35, including the material.I can usually tell on the phone if I have a prospect that is strictly looking for the lowest price. So before I waste the trip I tell them my rate per yard and if they gag, then I've just saved some valuable time banging heads with Joe.

Low priced service providers are in every industry. Fact of life so the whiners need to grow some thicker skin and focus on their own biz, not Joe's

mtdman
03-06-2004, 05:37 AM
Funny how this thread about no more scrub threads has turned into a scrub thread!

:D

GarPA
03-06-2004, 06:37 AM
ya know MTD thats is exactly what I was thinking when I typed that post above...good point you make. But I replied anyway because if we keep saying over and over again "worry about YOUR business...not the other guy", maybe it will sink in for some people

geogunn
03-06-2004, 08:23 AM
what's a scrub?

GEO ;)

lawnman_scott
03-06-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Doster's L & L
kingman, scrub has several different meanings on here. It can mean someone that has no signage, insurance, pays no taxes, etc. And another term is someone that they're pissed off at bacause they beat them out of a bid by a few dollars per month. Truth be known, scrubs could just quit working all together and mooch off of the gov't and we'd still end up paying their room and board. Either they work and beat us out of some money, or they quit working altogether and we still lose money.
The biggest arguement here is that they make professionals like us look bad. This is true. I get pissed off about it and want to raise some he!! sometimes. When the word, "scrub" comes out in the open, it opens a big can 'o worms, so i try to vent my anger off of the public forum.
Funny thing. I looked at your profile and your last post was the why i cant sell lawn care one. You mentioned something about a guy who does spraying for 9/sf, and said you could pick up more work if you went a little lower. Are you a "scrub"? Dont be shy, say it. I am, because an accident took one of my magnetic signs, and the other I threw out because it was old and I have too much work to do to worry about something useless like that. And I have some corrercial accounts, so I obviously underbid someone at some point.

GarPA
03-06-2004, 09:45 AM
here I go again ...adding to the banter about 'scrubs'...

I dont think being a scub has anything to do with the fees someone charges...last time I checked we live have a free market system. My fees are not low by any means but I dont consider a lowballer a scrub...so long as he runs his business like a business...and all that that entails

Is Brickman low priced? yes
Are they a "scrub"...no

Doster's L & L
03-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Thanks for backing me, GarPa. I think lawnman was just messin' with me a bit. That's fine.
The only time that i will go lower on a price compared to someone else's, is when i get the price from someone that's not in my area of competition. If i know what someone is charging that is my direct competition, i will raise my price to meet theirs, or i will increase my price to exceed theirs. I'm not gonna be cheaper than anyone else. I refuse to knowingly be cheaper than my competition. I am setting the standard in my area, so they need to join me or get left behind.
Here's an interesting motto y'all might like. "I've upped my standards, so up yours!" :D You can get at least 2 different meanings from this.

tiedeman
03-07-2004, 12:00 AM
I feel that if you let scrubs bother you to the point that you lose sleep over it, then you are in the wrong business. Yes, I get upset with people bidding lower than me and not having insurance, overhead, etc. But hey, its competition. If the competition (scrubs) bother you that much then YOU need to change your tactics.

Grassmechanic
03-07-2004, 09:24 AM
I love scrubs. I make more money off them fixing their screw-ups than I do my regular clients.

lawnman_scott
03-07-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Doster's L & L
Thanks for backing me, GarPa. I think lawnman was just messin' with me a bit. That's fine.
The only time that i will go lower on a price compared to someone else's, is when i get the price from someone that's not in my area of competition. If i know what someone is charging that is my direct competition, i will raise my price to meet theirs, or i will increase my price to exceed theirs. I'm not gonna be cheaper than anyone else. I refuse to knowingly be cheaper than my competition. I am setting the standard in my area, so they need to join me or get left behind.
Here's an interesting motto y'all might like. "I've upped my standards, so up yours!" :D You can get at least 2 different meanings from this. I was just showing that anyone can be a "scrub" to others. Just because your a bit cheaper than others means nothing. It could mean that your better at running your business than they are. I see in your signature line you get parts from j-thomas. Me too, why? Cheap. Better or worse than the dealer? Exactly the same, the dealers use aftermarket too. Has anyone ever posted and said they lost an account to another LCO? noooooooooooo its always, lost an account to a scrub, scrubs are back, here come the new guys..... And its always this time of year. Like GarPA said, its still a freem market we live in. A few years back when I worked alone I didnt have backup stuff and blew a head gasget on a wed. I was going to fix it and have to work sunday, then i thought, well..... I had this old caddillac seville i bought cheap, just used to go to the store and stuff like that. Well it had a hitch on it. Yeah, i did it, i pulled my trailer with the old seville, and you know what i looked like. A really stupid pathetic scrub. But i didnt have to work on sunday doing lawns, and monday the truck was running.

muddstopper
03-07-2004, 10:09 AM
Wal-Mart undercutts everbody elses prices, I guess they are a scrub to. Heck they are worst than that, they make there suppliers cut their prices also so that they can charge even lower prices. And worst than that is, if there suppliers cant get their prices low enough, they find new suppliers from overseas to make their products at even cheaper prices. Wal-Mart Stores should be called Scrub Centers instead of Super Centers.

Navig8r
03-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by GarPA
.....................Is Brickman low priced? yes
Are they a "scrub"...no

The one instance in this area that I see Brickman, they ARE scrubs.

They "take care of" the property at my FT job...... what a mess!
Grass on cars, in the street, everywhere. Irregular schedule, sloppy cuts, mowin with open discharge into traffic...... mowin over garbage, makin a bigger mess..... the only thing they seem to do neatly and carefully is trim the hedges.

Oh... but I'm sure they are insured, pay taxes, and they have signs on the trailers, so I guess they aren't scrubs.;)

rmartin
03-07-2004, 10:39 AM
my truck is not labeled with my business name and number does that make me a scrub?????????? i have a full time job and do this on the side.....so am i a scrub? i am insured and oay taxes am i still a scrub

WAGS LandL
03-08-2004, 11:39 AM
rmartin,
No way you are a scrub, that's how I started out and grew to
be full time. I don't letter my truck, but I pay taxes and insurance
and use good equipment and have tee shirts and all the rest.
Just do the best job you can do, treat people right and the
"scrubs" will help you grow your business. People will pay for
quality work, you just have to show them the "value".
Good luck all.

brucec32
03-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Lawnsite Definition of Scrub: Anyone who gets the job you bid on.

tiedeman
03-08-2004, 10:46 PM
too funny bruce. :) But that is what most LCO's attitudes are.

mtdman
03-09-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by muddstopper
Wal-Mart undercutts everbody elses prices, I guess they are a scrub to. Heck they are worst than that, they make there suppliers cut their prices also so that they can charge even lower prices. And worst than that is, if there suppliers cant get their prices low enough, they find new suppliers from overseas to make their products at even cheaper prices. Wal-Mart Stores should be called Scrub Centers instead of Super Centers.

That's fine with me. I hate Walmart. Going into a Walmart around here is like stepping into a scene from Deliverance.

And bruce, I agree!

:D

Darryl G
03-09-2004, 12:28 AM
If you're looking for scrubs, this is the best place I know of.

http://www.scrubs.com/