PDA

View Full Version : How far to cut back these bushes...

allstar
03-06-2004, 08:57 AM
I have a customer who wants me to cut back some badly overgrown bushes on the sides of her home that extend above the roof.I'm not too good at identifying shrubbery but these bushes are quite common around here in Central S.C.I plan to cut them back to about 6 ft.(head high) and shape them somewhat.Is that about right or,since they're so overgrown,should I just cut them down to the ground?Thanks.

dreisman
03-06-2004, 09:10 AM
Try to find out what type of tree, shrub etc. it is before doing anything. If you cut it back to far you will kill it and have to take it out anyway. By identifying it yoou will be able to kow what youcan do to it

GarPA
03-06-2004, 09:57 AM
try to buy a tree/shrub book...Taylor makes a good one...or ask a friend in the biz to identify it for you. THen post back and we'll try to help you. I dont know whats "popular" in SC but if its a mature evergreen, like an arb, it won't look too great if you whack it back. Once plants get out of control like these, frankly the best solution is to take them out.

CNE
03-06-2004, 11:12 AM
They are shrubs, not bushes. At least that's what I was told.

Black Water
03-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Extend above the roof? Red tips maybe? Some type of Ligustrum?

Yea, definitely identify the type of plant before trimming.

Critical Care
03-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Some plants can be pruned all the way down to the ground each year, such as the butterfly bush or false spiraea. Some you might just thin out, some you would head back, and yet others could be sheared. Depends upon the plant...