PDA

View Full Version : Fungicide Study

Russ
03-06-2004, 09:31 AM
I came across an interesting study
http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/kpn/...0223.htm#lawper

I dont do many fungicide apps. for a number of reasons, price, required frequency and required customer education being the top 3. But I found this report interesting for several reasons. I did not know Chipco had lost it's patten. Nor did I know that a number of products were being marketed with "disease-control chemicals" and "nutritional supplements" to avoid being subject to federal regs.
Have I just had my head in the sand again?
Are any of you guys using these products?
How would you describe your results?
How would the language "disease-control chemicals" and "nutritional supplements" be incorporate into your recommendations?
You see "snake oil" in this report or valid alternative control?
Thanks, Russ
Opps--Link didn't work try this
http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/kpn/kpn_04/pn040223.htm#lawper

Grassmechanic
03-06-2004, 10:36 AM
Interesting study.......too bad they don't tell what type of grass this was done on.

SWD
03-06-2004, 11:03 AM
The fungicide that was mentioned has been a standard Pythium control agent for decades. The reason that Chipco lost it's patent was the recertification that all chemicals have to go through after initial Fed approval is granted.
With enough market competition from other companies and formulations of Fosetyl Aluminum being available, it was no longer in Chipco's interest in renewing the certification of Fosetyl Al.
As far as the remaining part of the study, a lot of that material sounds agriculturally based. In addition, the study either didn't have the control mechanisms in place or didn't report them-but this study is junk.
I have been involved with turfgrass trials, soil trials, chemical trials and this study never mentions temp conditions, moisture levels, humidity, sun light, soil structure, turf variety and species, maintenance, existing fertilization levels, etc.
IMO, I wouldn't pay any attention to this 'study' at all.

Russ
03-06-2004, 11:15 AM
Good points. Well spoken and well taken. Guess I need to be more objective of University Studies. Thanks

Grassmechanic
03-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by SWD
The fungicide that was mentioned has been a standard Pythium control agent for decades. The reason that Chipco lost it's patent was the recertification that all chemicals have to go through after initial Fed approval is granted.
With enough market competition from other companies and formulations of Fosetyl Aluminum being available, it was no longer in Chipco's interest in renewing the certification of Fosetyl Al.
As far as the remaining part of the study, a lot of that material sounds agriculturally based. In addition, the study either didn't have the control mechanisms in place or didn't report them-but this study is junk.
I have been involved with turfgrass trials, soil trials, chemical trials and this study never mentions temp conditions, moisture levels, humidity, sun light, soil structure, turf variety and species, maintenance, existing fertilization levels, etc.
IMO, I wouldn't pay any attention to this 'study' at all. That pretty much sums it up.

tremor
03-06-2004, 03:53 PM
We're selling quite a bit of Phosphite now. At less than $60 an acre it's no surprise.

Kinda makes a nice fit for summer hydroseeding doesn't it?