PDA

View Full Version : Emp. Hrly Wage

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
03-06-2004, 09:02 AM
I am trying to get an idea on what gross average employee hourly pay is,I currently pay my experienced help $10.00 per hr.

yergus
03-06-2004, 09:05 AM
i generally start my employees out at seven dollars an hour, depending on their experience. top pay for lawn care, $10.00 per hour- 14.00 top pay for landscapers.

DFW Area Landscaper
03-06-2004, 09:09 AM
I just hired my first employee last week. He's giving his current employer two weeks notice right now.

I guaranteed him a minimum of 35 to 40 hours per week. The pay is $8.50 per hour and I buy lunch every work day. I'll be witholding SS & income tax. But I'll also be paying time and a half for work over 40. I'm expecting I'll have to lay him off upon first freeze, at which time, I'll encourage him to file for unemployment benefits (if he's a good hand and I want him back in the spring). Otherwise, I guess I'll just hope he doesn't realize it's available. Can't imagine I'll keep him all season if he's not someone I'd want back, though.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

lawnman_scott
03-06-2004, 09:17 AM
I pay $10 also. I start at $9.

ksland
03-06-2004, 09:21 AM
Experienced Foreman $20 laborers $10-$12

Cost of living is higher here on Cape Cod.

dmk395
03-06-2004, 09:28 AM
ksland....just curious, i am not located in the cape, but what would you say your billing rate per man hour is?

rodfather
03-06-2004, 09:32 AM
Start at $12 an hour for 2 weeks or so until they are up to speed. After that, they go to $15 an hour. My crew chiefs make $20 an hour btw.

charlies
03-06-2004, 09:46 AM
mowing crews:

crewmen 8-10 d.o.e

foremen 11-15 d.o.e.

dfw...we just did away with lunch at fast food restaurants. everyone will have to bring their own lunch this year, or go hungry. we expect to save about 1400$ in wasted payroll this year on that alone.

rodfather...are you hiring? lol

rodfather
03-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by charlies
rodfather...are you hiring? lol

In fact I am. But I think the commute from MD to NJ each day would be a bit much for ya charlies...lol

DFW Area Landscaper
03-06-2004, 09:52 AM
Well, scratch that out. I just called my new "employee" to see if he could work today hanging door hangers. His initials are JL. A woman answers the phone and I ask for Julian. She says "This is JL Lawn Service, can I help you?"

I called her back a few minutes later and explained that I had just hired Julian this week, he was giving his two week notice to his current employer and that since I've learned that he's a competitor, the deal is off.

Now I gotta go find a new employee. What's the best way to advertise for this? Newspaper? Labor Camps? Any advice?

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

TRex
03-06-2004, 10:26 AM
DFW,

Where does JL live around here. The reason I ask is because there have been adds popping up in my local paper for JL Lawn Service.

battags
03-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Have any of you offered a bonus at the end of the season? I'm having difficulty keeping help all the way to my fall clean-up time. Most of the college kids go back to school before hand and I'm left short. I'm thinking about offering a $250 bonus to anyone who stays.

Brian

proenterprises
03-06-2004, 11:13 AM
ive been lurking around since age 13 in the summers with the same company. Bless his soul, he took me on at age 13 at 7/hr doing just trimming. It has gone up 1 dollar/season-this summer it will be 10/hr. and I will be running a machine.

Seems low at the time, but he didnt have to take me on at 13, plus, its tax free.

Lux Lawn
03-06-2004, 11:19 AM
I am looking to hire another employee this season and will start him at $8-$9 an hour.

Roger
03-06-2004, 11:31 AM
DFW,

You made a comment early in the thread about urging your employee to file for unemployment during the off-season. I have no employees, but know a man well who has a home repair service. He has a slow time of the year during the Winter. He laid off an employee a year ago, the worker filed for unemployment, and was paid. But, my friend then received notice of huge increase in his unemployment insurance.

This past Winter, he opted not to lay off anybody during the slow time, rather to work hard to find work for them, even if it meant paying some time for no work. He felt that he was better off to pay for some non-work time, rather than endure the large increase in unemployment insurance.

You may wish to review your choices. Maybe somebody else has some first-hand experience for lawn service workers in this regard.

Nobody said having employees was easy ...

dkeisala
03-06-2004, 12:30 PM
I've always wondered about the unemployement thing. If you hire somebody as part-time temporary and both you and the employee enter into the relationship knowing that the employee will be laid off in December, do they still qualify your unemployment?

Lot's of high tech around here and it's common practice for them to classify workers as part-time, temporary to avoid benefits such as this.

lawnman_scott
03-06-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by dkeisala
I've always wondered about the unemployement thing. If you hire somebody as part-time temporary and both you and the employee enter into the relationship knowing that the employee will be laid off in December, do they still qualify your unemployment?

Lot's of high tech around here and it's common practice for them to classify workers as part-time, temporary to avoid benefits such as this. Why is it so hard to find good help? any ideas?

Flipperneck
03-06-2004, 12:51 PM
I agree with scott on this one. What do you think your chances are he's gonna work for you again in the spring. Dpependable help need dependable pay. As far as hourly wage its all about cost of living, here a one bedroom apartment goes for 900 a month, in columbus ohio you can get a one bedroom for 400-500 a month. Here car insurance on a beater is about 1800 a year. columbus 500. I would call a help wanted ad in the paper tell them you have 3 years exp. mowing, whipping, edging, pruning, mulching, and whatever else you need someone to do and go from there.

EastProLawn
03-06-2004, 02:56 PM
$10.00 to $12.00 depending on experience and reliability. All laborers start @ $8.50 until they have proven to me that they are at least reliable, (1 to 3 months trial period ) then I increase their pay depending on exp. and work rate.

AintNoFun
03-06-2004, 03:06 PM
most laborers start at $10-$11 an hour. Foremans currently are topped out at about $15-$15 an hour with a company truck and phone...

SodKing
03-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Why is it so hard to find good help? any ideas?

Drugs, lack of personal pride, and downright lazy labor pool.

charlies
03-06-2004, 03:16 PM
oops, i forgot to add...

don't encourage any employee to seek unemployment. it will destroy your unemployment tax rate. if you are friends with any very large companies, you could ask them about the possibility of sending them over there for the winter. of course they might not come back...

charlies
03-06-2004, 03:19 PM
oops here's another:

as has been mentioned around here a few times before, good help is hard to find because after developing the basic skills, many of your more intelligent folks see that they could probably make at least as much as they currently do by going out on their own, and they get to be their own boss.

dkeisala
03-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by SodKing
Drugs, lack of personal pride, and downright lazy labor pool. Second that. I think there is a real problem in this country with work ethic. You see it all around. It's not like the jobs we are providing require a substantial investment in a college degree or years of training and experience. You wanna make 30 bucks an hour? Go be an electrician.

I pay well, provide yearly raises and am more than fair but I also want to see something for my money. Take a class, attend a seminar or two, get your spray license without me having to harp about it for 6 months, help me control costs, don't make me have to babysit your every move. The amount of effort I see being put forth is going to dictate the reward (amount of raise). I don't just hand out money because I think an employee is a damn nice guy.

specialtylc
03-06-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by battags
Have any of you offered a bonus at the end of the season? I'm having difficulty keeping help all the way to my fall clean-up time. Most of the college kids go back to school before hand and I'm left short. I'm thinking about offering a $250 bonus to anyone who stays.

Brian

We tried the bonus last year . We were going to give them 50 cents per hour worked if they stayed to end. We didnt have to pay out a dime. The original 5 employees didnt last. We wont bother with bonus this year.

DFW Area Landscaper
03-06-2004, 05:05 PM
++++I've always wondered about the unemployement thing. If you hire somebody as part-time temporary and both you and the employee enter into the relationship knowing that the employee will be laid off in December, do they still qualify your unemployment?++++

Yes. They do. In Texas they must have wages during the two most recently completed quarters to qualify.

I've got the maximum unemployment tax built into my labor costs as a part of my business model. In Texas, it's about 8.4% on the frist $9,000 worth of wages paid to a sinlge employee. After that, there is no tax.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

battags
03-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by specialtylc
We tried the bonus last year . We were going to give them 50 cents per hour worked if they stayed to end. We didnt have to pay out a dime. The original 5 employees didnt last. We wont bother with bonus this year.

NOT what I wanted to hear, but kinda what I expected. I guess I can always hope for the best and keep on looking for a dedicated, hard-working, employee. I know, I know! It will never happen!

Brian

Turfdude
03-06-2004, 08:46 PM
We start anywhere from $8-$10/hr for laborers, $11-$12 for crew chiefs to start. Top laborers get around $11, and top crew chiefs around $15. Lawn care and Landscape foremen get more.

In general, I have seen the labor pool really go downhill in the past 10 years. WE don't get the bottom of the barrel, we get whats lurking beneath the barrel. A lot of guys have no valid d/l's (DUI's, DWI's, etc), drug problems, no or low self esteem, etc.. They all want $12+/hr to start w/ no experience and "can learn anything real fast". In the past 5 years, I can honestly say that maybe 1 in 10 will make it through the entire season. We pay vacation, holiday, sick and 50% health care too and it still doesn't matter. Any of our staff who lasts the full season does get a holiday bonus. Also, if they last, we don't mind the unemployment as it is usually between 4-8 weeks max.

Where to find help, I can't tell you. Your best bet is probably to go through an h-2B program. The newspaper ads really bite. We specify experience w/ 36 or larger machine, valid D/L and transportation. 95% do NOT have all 3 qualifications. We do offer current employees a $100 cash bonus if they recruit someone and they make it one month (this is cheaper than a one week ad and we csometimes get a decent employee for a few months at least).