PDA

View Full Version : Do you tell your immediate competition about Lawnsite.com?

Doster's L & L
03-06-2004, 03:37 PM
I was just curious to see how many of us on here tell our competition about this educational forum. I'm not talking about friends that also do lawn care in another part of the state/country, just your closest competition.
I've gotta admit it, if i told the guys in my area and they signed on, they wouldn't be able to handle the "S" word. :rolleyes:

bobbygedd
03-06-2004, 04:04 PM
no, to do so would be to dig your own grave. the best thing we have going for us, is that the new guys flop and go under, as a result of not being able to manage their business properly. to show them this site, would eliminate 90% of the development pains, and as a result, we would all be working for minimum wage(some of u guys already do) the answer is NO, a thousand times no

1MajorTom
03-06-2004, 04:19 PM
First I find out if they have a computer.
If they say no, then I tell them about lawnsite.com If they say yes, then I don't tell them. :laugh:
just kidding

We never really have the opportunity to tell direct competitors about this site. We have told dealers about it though.

Navig8r
03-06-2004, 05:32 PM
I cant answer the poll... because my answer would be "Sometimes".

If I meet someone who is professional, polite and respectful... YES I tell them about LS..... on the other hand, if they are scrubbish.. HE** NO...... Note that by scrubbish, I mean sloppy looking (personnell, equipment & work), unprofessional, and just overall not concerned with quality of work or satisfaction of their customers.

I have learned tons here, but even without the knowledge I've gained on LS, I knew that professional appearance and concern for the satisfaction of my customers was important.

J&R
03-06-2004, 06:28 PM
I tell then were it might help them know how to charge and from becoming lowballers.

Runner
03-06-2004, 07:03 PM
I'm with Navigator. It depends on who they are...

Black Water
03-06-2004, 07:14 PM
I've told quite a few here in Spartanburg, because i knew i'd be moving in May. I'm not telling any of the LCO's in the area where i'll be moving, because IT'S MINE..... ALL MINE! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Quite the diabolical scheme uh?:D

Doster's L & L
03-06-2004, 09:11 PM
I don't tell them either. This is MY little gold mine so i'm not telling anyone!! However, if i meet someone at another part of the state where i'm gaining cert points, then i might mention it to them, but first i make sure they live no where near me!

I wonder how many of the members that answered, "yes i tell my comp..." is really truthful. :rolleyes:

crawdad
03-06-2004, 09:26 PM
I tell them where I get my blades for five bucks each.......after the place is sold out of them.
Crawdad

Kelly's Landscaping
03-06-2004, 09:31 PM
I try to avoid knowing them I am friendly and honest so knowing them would put me in a position where if one of their customers were to come to me I would let them know. Since I do want to grow and I do want to take large market share I think its better not to know the people you are beating on the estimates and whoís lawns you just took. Some times you do get a client that has never had a lawn service but the vast majority of the time that was some one elseís account. I donít know why they lost it and I donít care this is business and for me its simpler if the competition doesnít exist some preach here that competition doesnít matter well I take it a step further in my eyes there is none and if they now grew a face it gets more difficult to do my job and build my company.

GreenMonster
03-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
no, to do so would be to dig your own grave. the best thing we have going for us, is that the new guys flop and go under, as a result of not being able to manage their business properly. to show them this site, would eliminate 90% of the development pains, and as a result, we would all be working for minimum wage(some of u guys already do) the answer is NO, a thousand times no

:):D :) :D

Glad I found it before I start cuttin' this year! I really can't imagine going out there this year without all the knowledge I've gained from this site alone.

Hopefully, I can figure out the other 10% own my own!

Thanks Lawnsite members!

leadarrows
03-06-2004, 10:06 PM
I already have. I can tell by the reaction I get that they would never have done the same for me. I also have never seen a one of them that I have told take advantage of the info and become a member. I voted that I would sense I have.....I may not do it any more.
I like the idea of helping each other but I understand the down side. Nice guys finish last they say. :(

PaulJ
03-06-2004, 10:39 PM
I tell them but they don't listlen.

chefdrp
03-06-2004, 10:50 PM
i tell others about it. I was told about it from a fellow LCO. they arent my competition. The ony competition there is, is yourself.

tiedeman
03-06-2004, 10:53 PM
Right now I know of only one other competition of mine that uses this site. But I wouldn't call him competition. We both work together and help each other out. He's a good guy!

Doster's L & L
03-07-2004, 12:16 AM
I guess it would be cool to tell someone about this site if you were already friends with one of your competitors that was a professional and you knew he wouldnt attack your accounts and low ball you.

bastalker
03-07-2004, 12:28 AM
I dont have any competition that I really talk to..So answering your question, I would have to say no..

I was selling a trailer this year, an the person who bought it was the dad of a 16 year old starting out in the biz. I told him about the site......I will probably give him a few accounts.

Other than that, the competition is strictly on a "Hi how ya doin" basis..

Soupy
03-07-2004, 01:17 AM
I have told a few guys over the past 2 years, but then when I run into them again. I ask if they checked it out and they always say "no, what was the name of that site again/ I'll have to check them out". So I gave up even mentioning it.

I think most LCO's are not really into the whole computer/internet thing. Which makes you wonder just how many LCO's there really are compared to the member count on here.

I have even tried to tell a few about places like J-Thomas etc. and they just look at me like huh, you buy your parts from a mail order place.

Grassmechanic
03-07-2004, 08:29 AM
my competition can't read.

Navig8r
03-07-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Soupy
I have told a few guys over the past 2 years, but then when I run into them again. I ask if they checked it out and they always say "no, what was the name of that site again/ I'll have to check them out". So I gave up even mentioning it.

I think most LCO's are not really into the whole computer/internet thing. Which makes you wonder just how many LCO's there really are compared to the member count on here.

I have even tried to tell a few about places like J-Thomas etc. and they just look at me like huh, you buy your parts from a mail order place.

I've experienced the EXACT thing here, also.......... Kinda like.. "Yeah, a website, whatever...."
Oh well..... their loss.

Sean Adams
03-07-2004, 09:32 AM
This is a good question. I am 30 years old. I started my business when I was 16. I wish LawnSite was around back in the day....that aside, I feel odd telling people because it sounds like I'm trying to push the site that I own. But when people ask questions and I know they can find the answers here, I tell them.

The funniest thing is when I am at a dealer or a local expo and people tell me I should check out this "sweet site called LawnSite.com...you won't believe it when you see it...."

I just smile....:)

lawnranger44
12-07-2004, 07:43 PM
I know a few people in the biz, and I would mention it if it came up in conversation, but it never has.
I don't consider them competition, it seems that if you are talking to someone chances are you are helping each other out...which is the way it should be. Rather than cutting each other down you can build each other up and cooperate.

YardPro
12-08-2004, 07:58 AM

LOL
bobby doesn't tell, becuase they would tell us the TRUTH about him..

it would blow his cover.......

Precision
12-08-2004, 07:46 PM
I have only one LCO in the area that I know personally and we came to meet because of this website. He is not competition at least not in the true sense. He has given me an account and I would gladly help him out if his equipment died or whatever.

Actually make that two. The guy I used to work for. I told him, but no go. I think he likes to beat his head against the wall untill he figures it out himself. His kite, he can fly it how he wants.

And Fantasy found it way before I did.

Many in my area cut with dull blades and never change the oil in their Craftsman. Breath wasted.

I have told others and gotten the 1000 mile stare, So generally speaking, I don't bother unless the person seems to be quality oriented or seems to be a good guy but needs some help.

Green Care
12-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Have told some but they don't know where to start when it comes to a puter.