PDA

View Full Version : Add-on flex deck mowers

Who's on first
03-06-2004, 05:37 PM
What's the good, bad, and ugly with the flex decks you mount as an attachment to your existing decks? Is quality of cut still okay, power demands, maintenance requirements, longevity, overall performance, brands available?

We cut all large properties and the concept sounds good.

gravedigger5
03-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Good: heavy duty commercial quality unit

Bad: Does require you to cut and modify your existing mower deck

Ugly: My unit is painted black and my mower is red. Wife says it is not color coordinated :o

Quality of cut: can't really tell a difference between the flex deck cut and the cut of my Toro 36"

Maint. Requirements: Sharpen blades and grease same as main deck on mower. (Flex deck easier to change blades/ flip deck up)

Longevity: Only had mine a year. Comes with warranty/spare parts

Overall Performance: Cut my trim time by about 25%. My setup mows 54" but fits thru gates around 37". And saved the day when my 62" z broke a belt, cause I was able to finish up mowing.

Brands available: I have Flex-Deck brand, probably the only add on brand (also carried by Dixie Chopper) and I think Howard Price Turf Equipment makes one that is permanently attached to their deck and only available in a 80" Z version

PaulJ
03-08-2004, 08:18 AM
check www. flex-deck.com and call Brad.

padude2004
03-09-2004, 05:28 PM
after speaking with a scag mower mechanic and flex-deck mechanic i have some questions about the longevity of the mower deck and the unit itself. the idea was brought to my attention which was," would cutting a hole on the left side of the mower enable the mower deck to worp on a fixed deck compared to a floating deck." i ask this question because i cant decide to put it on the 36" fixed deck scag or the 52" floating deck scag.:(

padude2004
03-09-2004, 06:05 PM
secondly, does cutting a hole in the deck of my brand new mower void the 3 year warranty on the deck????:eek:

gravedigger5
03-09-2004, 08:08 PM
padude2004 after speaking with a scag mower mechanic and flex-deck mechanic i have some questions about the longevity of the mower deck and the unit itself. the idea was brought to my attention which was," would cutting a hole on the left side of the mower enable the mower deck to worp on a fixed deck compared to a floating deck." i ask this question because i cant decide to put it on the 36" fixed deck scag or the 52" floating deck scag.

The bracket I welded on the mower deck after I cut the hole in it was as heavy as the deck material itself. I belive after welding it on, the deck is as strong or stronger than before.

secondly, does cutting a hole in the deck of my brand new mower void the 3 year warranty on the deck????

My dealer did not seem to have a problem with it, cause he will want any warrenty work he can get and wants to keep my business. (Dropped about $14,000 last 1 1/2 years there) Ask your dealer what he'll do for you.
Marc

padude2004
03-09-2004, 09:26 PM
thanks gravedigger. how is the quality of cut and what do you use your flex deck on. as i mentioned before i have scag walk behinds.

gravedigger5
03-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Quality of cut of the flex deck is as good as the main deck of my Toro it is mounted to. There is a little bit of a learning curve to the flex deck, the more you use it the more you learn to maximize it trimming potential. the first swath you mow around a yard, forget you have a large mower and just concentrate on the flex deck as if it were a 21" mower working it in and out of all the nooks and crannies (I realize my set up, 54", is bigger than a 21", but I am always amazed where I can actually get my mower to fit) after the 1st swath is done then resume mowing like it is a regular larger mower and you've already made (in my case) a 54" swath around the yard. My setup, the flexdeck folded up allows me to fit thru gates and tight places where my old 48" wb and 62" z would not fit and would have to use my 21" push :mad: With the FD on my 36" wb I have almost completely eliminated the need for my 21" mower :) Don't get me wrong, I am as lazy (or more) than the next guy and prefer to use my 62" Zmaster everywhere I can, probably about 65% of my mowing. but I figured up after I started using the FD on the 36" wb I have save (gained) appx 5hrs a week on a 25hr week route over what I was doing when I relied on the 21" and 48" for my smaller yards. And for the money, the flex deck has been one of better investments as far time and profits go. Marc

padude2004
03-10-2004, 07:30 AM
how is the installation process? it sound a bit complicated especially trying to get it level with the other blades. once installed any maintanence involved like fixing welds or painting, rusting, or bending?

gravedigger5
03-10-2004, 09:08 AM
Installation isn't bad, just take your time and make sure everything is level. I am not the words greatest welder, but I grew up on a farm doing quite a bit of maintenance and fabrication type welding, so tackling this project did not bother me. If you are not confortable with your own welding capabilities, get someone who is good at welding to help you. It only took me about 4 hours, taking my time and double checking everything as I went. You will need to at least paint the welds, I decided to paint the whole mounting bracket to match my mower. If you mount the flex deck on a good commercial quality deck such as your Scag, I would not think you would have any problem with bending or flexing. Marc

padude2004
03-10-2004, 04:26 PM
thanks for the input marc. as far as other folks, its seems like you are the only person on this site that has a flex deck marc. is there anyone else out there that has seen or used one????:cry:

PaulJ
03-10-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by padude2004
thanks for the input marc. as far as other folks, its seems like you are the only person on this site that has a flex deck marc. is there anyone else out there that has seen or used one????:cry:

There are or were others but they got blasted and flamed whenever they mentioned the flex-deck. The manufacturer even used to be a sponsor here with his own forum. You might find some info with a search but most of it got lost when the sponsor forum was closed. The possibility of adding one of these in the future is one reason I got the hustler 23hp walkbehind.

here's a pic from the website I found
www.flex-deck.com

weve
03-10-2004, 08:25 PM
I've used a Flex-Deck for two years now on my Dixie XWD2600-60 and have about 410 hours on the Flex-Deck. I have about 950 hours on the Dixie so use the Flex-Deck about half the time. I use the Flex-Deck on most jobs but on some jobs don't use it at all. On some jobs I just use it for trimming and then take it off. On some jobs I mow everything with it. It all depends on the lay of the ground, the thickness of the grass, the moisture in the grass, etc. I can put the Flex-Deck on or take it off in less than a minute. It's not for all jobs but I'd miss it if I didn't have it.

Here's a pic of striping using my Flex-Deck:

padude2004
03-10-2004, 10:24 PM
thanks for the input gentlemen. :)

dobehap
03-11-2004, 08:47 AM
I got me a flex-deck over the winter, I will post my review after I get some grass under it.

gravedigger5
03-11-2004, 09:58 AM
dobehap, how did your installation go? just wait till you get to use it. Trimming around stuff takes just a little practice to learn what all the flex deck is capable of. The first place I took mine was right outside the shop where I had this metal swing set. was able to mow everything under and around with only a few blades of grass left around the legs. Good luck and enjoy, Marc

dobehap
03-11-2004, 10:42 AM
Instalation went fine, if you can weld you can do it.
Dont worry about the deck warping, I think the deck is stronger with the bracket then it was without one.
The deck is definetely heavy duty. I cant wait to get some grass on it.

Meg-Mo
03-11-2004, 11:15 AM
We put a flex deck on our Bad Boy yesterday. We have used these for 7 years on our mowers and there has been no damage to our deck. On Bad Boy there is no cutting on the deck at all.

DLCS
03-11-2004, 01:32 PM
Looks good, that thing is a monster. I assume that is a 72" deck?

Meg-Mo
03-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Yes that is a 72" deck on the Bad Boy mower. This is picture of 36" Exmark with 22 hp engine.

dobehap
03-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Meg Mo, is that a new version of a flex deck, or an old version?

Sure does look diffrent then mine.

Meg-Mo
03-11-2004, 04:56 PM
We use the older style. We had a new style and lost that one so have been keeping them the same. We do use MEG MO blades on them.

Who's on first
03-11-2004, 07:40 PM
Is Flex-Deck the only brand out on the market?

Is it necessary to cut a hole into a deck?

I'm not too keen about the idea of cutting into a deck just to see if this attachment works for us.

dobehap
03-11-2004, 07:48 PM
Lastec make an articulating deck on their Z.

Flex Deck is the only one I'm familiar with that will go either on a wb or a Z.

I think they have a compatability list on their web page.

Its necessary to cut a hole yes. If you like the concept in theory, you will love it in real life.

Who's on first
03-11-2004, 07:58 PM
We're looking for productivity and flexibility. (Not asking for too much are we?)

Our thoughts are to mount one of these on a 72" Cub Tank with a 33 horse Generac engine.

Is a Flex Deck going to be able to keep up in the wide open spaces and not get beat to death?

Is it then going to be a pain in the neck when we are working on the Condos more confined areas?

I appreciate what I am hearing back so far!!!!

Meg-Mo
03-12-2004, 09:20 AM
On the BAD BOY we did not have to cut on the deck. On a 48" hulster there was no cutting on the deck. The flex deck works in the open and just as well in the tight places.

gravedigger5
03-12-2004, 10:21 AM
The flex deck works in the open and just as well in the tight places.
My Flexdeck setup totals 54" (36"maindeck and 18" flexdeck) and in tight stuff it will fit places my 48" mower had problems with. With the flexdeck mounted off the side but almost a whole deck length forward, you can sneak it around alot of obstacles and tight places. Marc

dobehap
03-15-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Who's on first

....and not get beat to death?

This thing is more heavy duty then my main deck.
I have used it for a couple of days now (season is picking up)
All I can say is WOW, this thing will reach so many places! I got the trimmer after I was done, and there was nothing to trim!

gravedigger5
03-15-2004, 11:34 AM
dobehap, Welcome to the world of Flex-Deck.:waving: :waving: :waving:

And as far as all those guys that were always slamming Brad and his ideas on here, never really took the time to look at or give equipment like this a try. This setup probably is not for everybody, but most would PROFIT substancially more from investing in a flex-deck than quite a lot of equipment they have purchased in the past. I know I have equipment such as my aerator that only gets used a couple of weeks a year. My flex deck gets used five days a week throughout the whole mowing season. JMHO Marc

justmjc
03-15-2004, 12:41 PM
So, what is happening with the flex deck discharge? Does a hole get cut into the main deck and the flex deck discharges into the main deck? If that's the case, what do you do with the hole after you take the unit off? Where does the flex deck discharge if I'm incorrect on what's stated above?

gravedigger5
03-15-2004, 01:49 PM
It discharges under the front left hand corner of the main deck.

Flex-Deck
03-16-2004, 05:50 PM
dobehap - gravedigger5 - "the nail has been hit on the head" LOL:D :D :D

dobehap
03-16-2004, 07:42 PM
As I get more usage with this deck, I will try to post a detailed review- pros and cons. Some pictures too.

Flex-Deck
03-17-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by dobehap
This thing is more heavy duty then my main deck.
I have used it for a couple of days now (season is picking up)
All I can say is WOW, this thing will reach so many places! I got the trimmer after I was done, and there was nothing to trim!

dobehap - I got slammed pretty hard a year or two ago for saying such things. LOL :rolleyes:

gravedigger5
03-17-2004, 11:29 AM
dobehap - I got slammed pretty hard a year or two ago for saying such things. LOL

Shame people gotta be that way and they aren't more open minded.:confused:

Flex-Deck
03-17-2004, 05:53 PM
Thanks Gravedigger5

padude2004
03-19-2004, 10:50 AM
i am interested in the flex deck but too far away from anyone who uses them. it would be great if some pictures where posted or sent to me from those who have flex decks. specifically pictures of the left side of their mowers with the flex deck off and even some installation pictures. i think Brad has a great idea here and i want to judge for myself by seeing some of your setups. thanks:cool:

dobehap
03-20-2004, 01:31 AM
padude2004, you can email Brad at flex-dek@mepotelco.net

When I finish everything I'm doing with my mower, and find a camera, I'll try to post a pic.

gravedigger5
03-21-2004, 11:36 AM
I will try and get you some photos with the flex deck off. Marc

padude2004
03-21-2004, 01:57 PM
marc, is that the jrco thatcher? if so how well does it work?

gravedigger5
03-21-2004, 09:35 PM
Got some pics with the deck off. took less than a minute to take off, but did have to take the saftey cover off the flex deck to get belt off (two nuts). I think this was the first time I took the flex deck off since I first put it on.:eek: Once you use it you probably won't take it off much either. Marc

gravedigger5
03-21-2004, 09:40 PM
And another picture of the flex-deck mounting bracket

gravedigger5
03-21-2004, 09:46 PM
marc, is that the jrco thatcher? if so how well does it work?

Yes, that is a JRCO dethatcher. Just got it recently. Only used on my own yard so far and it worked great along with my Accelerator bagger. Got a couple of yards lined up this week. Hopefully pay it off with only a couple of jobs.payup Marc

Flex-Deck
03-21-2004, 10:17 PM
Gravedigger - Leave all the Flex-Deck covers on. Just take off the little cover on the main deck, and leave the belt on the flex-deck always. Just have to take off the two nuts on the little cover, hook the tightner pulley back to relieve tension, and lift off the double pulley on the main deck. It is in the manual. Thanks

padude2004
03-22-2004, 04:37 PM
in those pictures i see no hole cut into the deck of the mower? is this true or false????:confused:

dobehap
03-22-2004, 06:49 PM
the hole is cut in the deck,

but then... you weld this bracket on top of the hole...so in the end there is no hole.

You can mow with or without a flex deck after installation.

gravedigger5
03-22-2004, 08:53 PM
padude2004 in those pictures i see no hole cut into the deck of the mower? is this true or false????
Here is a photo of the piece I cut out of the side of the deck. about 8" long 5" high and 1.5" deep. The flex deck bracket welds on over top and is the most critical part of the mounting process. Just make sure and take your time to get everytheing lined up real well. I saved the old cutout piece in case I had to weld it back on if I sold the mower and whoever bought it didn't want it. Marc

padude2004
03-23-2004, 05:33 PM
i have been considering the flex deck but i have no pictures of directions for cutting the deck and welding in a new piece. i have no idea how big or how small these components are. all i have heard is "you need to know how to weld". weld what? cut what? how big? i guess im frustrated because i want to believe this flex deck is a wonderful piece of machine but have no clue what it is going to take to put it on a mower. i think brad should put a video on the web site showing how to install. that way maybe people would not be so skeptical.

Meg-Mo
03-23-2004, 05:46 PM
Call flex deck and he will tell you what you need to or not to cut. On the BAD BOY we did not have to cut anything.

Flex-Deck
03-23-2004, 06:25 PM
OK, padude 2004 - Thanks, Brad

Who's on first
04-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Ok, it's time. I'm certain some flex-decks have been in at least limited use for the first this year. What's your thoughts and how about any pictures...

gravedigger5
04-14-2004, 01:17 AM
My Z went into the shop friday morning, so my 36" wb with flex deck attachment has been doing double duty and the rsults look great. Marc