PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make it last ......

Andyinchville
03-06-2004, 07:31 PM
I am in the process of replacing the decking on my 16' Brand Landscape trailer....The boards were somewhat rotted.....I was actually surprised to see the extent when I pulled up all the boards....What can be done to make the wood last longer (I have thought of spraying all 4 sides w/ a good waterproofer prior to installation)....Also thought of smearing grease on the frame rails where the wood touches metal to help preserve the metal but was worried that this may have a negative effect on Pressure treated wood?.....Any ideas on
making it last would be appreciated......Also, how long does decking last on the average?......I haven't replaced it since the trailer was new but
don't look forward to ever having to spend a day to do it again....

Thanks !

Andrew

jajwrigh
03-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Try some Thompson's waterseal. It works well on decks.

JKOOPERS
03-06-2004, 07:42 PM
i replaced mine with steel for about $200. that way nothing could fall through the spaces in between the boards. it really doesnt help spraying them b/c the wear is constant

gene gls
03-06-2004, 08:42 PM
Treated lumber will last for years..

Gene

jajwrigh
03-06-2004, 09:10 PM
I have been told that good treated wood can last up to 10 years or so. I think you can buy pretreated wood for decks that should work really well for this application.

STAN1366
03-06-2004, 09:16 PM
Anyone ever use that TREX composite decking material? It's like a plastic looking wood. Not as thick (5/4) as regular 2x8, but never rots.

mowerman90
03-06-2004, 09:40 PM
Go to a large lumber yard and ask to speak with someone in the contractor department that knows how to order wood. Ask him if you can order some pressure treated wood that has been treated for below ground use or in salt water (like for a dock). It will cost you more but it will last "forever". The difference is the amount of chemicals they inject into the wood. I believe the numbers are .25 for above ground pressure treated, .40 for below ground and .80 for salt water.

TRex
03-07-2004, 08:11 AM
They make "Trex" in 2x6 for different applications. The 5/4 Trex is pretty flexible and can be bent if there is not a support underneath it every 16" and that is with a normal deck built for people not machines. It has a memory to, so if the mower sits in the same place day after day it will sag.

I would use pressure treated lumber and after it has dried out (about 30 days) spray under the trailer with the sealer and spray the top of the Deck a few different times to make sure you get in between the boards.

None of the 12 trailer manufactures around me use treated lumber, they all use untreated yellow pine and paint it. So I think just using P/T lumber will hold up for a long time.

You might also want to paint the metal under the deck while you have it off the trailer to help keep the metal in good shape. Take a wire brush to it first to get off the loose paint and rust.

Lombardi
03-07-2004, 06:10 PM
DO NOT use Thompson's water seal. It is the worst stuff on the market. In fact I would not use any stain or sealer on your trailer deck. It will make the surface very slick at first and then it will all be worn off soon because of the abuse on the deck. I know this because I also treat a lot of home decks and nothing will stand up to the wear/tear that we put our trailer decks through.
As others have said, go with the treated lumber. Another option is applying that Rhino Liner that they use for truck beds.