PDA

View Full Version : how much time for mulch?

bobbygedd
03-06-2004, 10:26 PM
did some mulch today. i timed two yards. pitch it out of truck, into wheelbarrow, and dump in beds, that were real close to truck( no more than 30 feet). how long should it take one man to do this?

workaholic
03-06-2004, 11:10 PM
I would estimate 2 hours

leadarrows
03-06-2004, 11:12 PM
You left out how many bed's and there size so I would have no clue.

GreenMonster
03-06-2004, 11:14 PM
maybe 1 1/2 hrs?

juststarting023
03-07-2004, 02:46 AM
around 2 to 2.5 hrs

GarPA
03-07-2004, 04:44 AM
need more info BG..no plants? a few? many? # of plants in the beds makes all the difference in productivity

kris
03-07-2004, 09:28 AM
It's not how long it took you but how long you bid ... site unseen I'd go 1yd3 per hour.

bobbygedd
03-07-2004, 09:42 AM
like i said, just make piles in beds, nothing more than pitch, roll, and dump, 30 feet max. believe it or not, client wanted to spread it himself?????;) said he needed "something to do sunday, to keep himself busy."

bobbygedd
03-07-2004, 09:48 AM
what i'm trying to do, is time myself down to the minute for different types of jobs. i started a small retaining wall(i'll post pics when done), and i'm timing myself so i can then charge per foot, or per 5 ft section, i'm not sure yet, but i want to be able to price very accurately on all the services we do. so i timed my mulch yesterday. not rushing, but at a reasonable pace, because this will be the pace during the summer heat, etc.

kris
03-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Bobby ...thats great that your starting to keep production records.We have years of them. Just remember that it will change once you have employees... When your keeping track of your walls keep separate notes on your base level ... you should be charging more for that course , it can be 50% of the time spent on a wall ... I hope Im being clear .... example would be a wall that is 200 blocks long(one course) will take you much longer than a wall 40 long by 5 high. We include excavation and the base prep with the first course.

rodfather
03-07-2004, 03:10 PM
I would think you would be able to do that job bobby in an hour or less.

bobbygedd
03-07-2004, 03:25 PM
if wisdom comes with age, that would make my man rodfather a gdamn genious! u hit it on the head rod. i started at 2:30, and ended at 3:20. what slowed me down was, i left my pitchfork at the mulch place, and had to use a cr@ppy little shovel. 2 yards of nice mulch = about 14 wheelbarrows, and about 50 min of labor under the conditions i described. figure an extra 20 min if u had to spread it around the shrubbery.

kris
03-07-2004, 05:25 PM
Doesn't take a genious to know that you could easily shovel the 2 yards off the truck in less than an hour... what makes a guy wise is when he bid 2 hours.

bobbygedd
03-07-2004, 05:33 PM
my price was $140 for the two yards. sound ok?

kris
03-07-2004, 05:36 PM
If it works for you ...

bobbygedd
03-07-2004, 05:41 PM
would that work for you? my competitors sell it for $30-$60 a yard. i'm usually at $65, but my usual place didn't have any, so i had to pay a bit more for it

kris
03-07-2004, 05:56 PM
Ok Bob I'll bite ...first off your happy with the 140 thats all that matters.
Your keeping track of your times..that's great! Did keep track of your travel and other general conditions .IE: talking with the customer, clean up etc.
We're at $75 per, installed minimum, but not a 2 yard job. I would have tried to squeeze a bit more out of him but I'm not interested in 2 yd jobs unless it's for a regular customer.

How much are you paying per yard? Shredded cedar mulch(nice looking stuff) and the material of choice for us lately, retails for about 40 ...we buy it in at around 12.

bobbygedd
03-07-2004, 06:11 PM
not askin you to bite....but you could nibble a little. usually we get root mulch, double ground, for like 12 bucks a yard. that's nice brown mulch. now, our usual guy isn't stocked yet, so i went elsewhere. i always combine services to make it worth my while. yesterday i did a cleanup, and dropped the mulch, so my total for the property was not $140. i paid $46 for the mulch. my entire 3 hour ordeal got me $240. take away the $46 for the mulch, $3 bucks for gas...figure it out. and i am a solo, i aint payin no body drive time, etc. i get 2 jobs like this a day, everyday, i'm living large, and barely breakin a sweat.

Lombardi
03-07-2004, 07:03 PM
bobby,
You are going to lose your arse if you think you can use a "by minute" formula in landscaping. As Kris said, you have to set a per yard or per ton minimum on jobs like this. Same as in building retention walls, patios, etc.
You say you are "livin large" because of this job. I will bet you that you will not get another customer all year that just wants you to dump the mulch so they can spread it. I wish you luck in the world of landscaping and if you do it right you will soon find that landscaping pays the bills and mowing is just something to do to stay busy with between jobs.

Doc Pete
03-07-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
my price was $140 for the two yards. sound ok?

Well, I don't understand how you are making about $100/hour for mulch and then, as I remember, are having trouble making $65/hour for mowing..................
I'd think charging the customer $20/yard for mulch you pay $12/yard for, and $30/yard to spread is a bit more fair.......

bobbygedd
03-07-2004, 07:59 PM
lombardi, me figuring out how long it takes me to do things, is a great starting point. when i said, "living large", i meant simply that, with my overhead being about a billion dollars less an hour than the rest of you, i can take on little projects like 2 yards of mulch, and as i said, grossing $240, twice a day=$480. if i minus the cost of material and fuel, it brings me down to about $390 for the day. minus my operating costs of around $50, that leaves me $340 for the day, times that by 6 days, i'm i'm dragging in over 2 grand a week, after costs, by myself, working max 8 hrs a day. i don't know what you need, but i can live just fine on that. being primarily a solo act, and not having a mortgage on my equipment, does have its advantages. curious pete, if i order 2 yds of mulch from you, brought in the same fashion as the job i did yesterday, how much will you charge?

kris
03-07-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Doc Pete
I'd think charging the customer $20/yard for mulch you pay $12/yard for, and $30/yard to spread is a bit more fair.......

Whoa Pete ... we buy it in at 12 dollars a yard. There are overhead cost involved in storing a pile of 200 yds, machinery to load it etc etc.. and because of our buying power when you purchase over 1200 yds per season should we then feel obligated to pass on those savings to the customer? I have no problem sleeping at night buying it in at 12 and retailing it for 40.
If your labor rate is $30 thats fine..ours is more. Bottom line is your in business to make a profit. Thats what's great about the free world.

Doc Pete
03-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by kris
Whoa Pete ... we buy it in at 12 dollars a yard. There are overhead cost involved in storing a pile of 200 yds, machinery to load it etc etc.. and because of our buying power when you purchase over 1200 yds per season should we then feel obligated to pass on those savings to the customer? I have no problem sleeping at night buying it in at 12 and retailing it for 40.
If your labor rate is $30 thats fine..ours is more. Bottom line is your in business to make a profit. Thats what's great about the free world.

If you buy it for $12 and store 200 yards, it's you with the problem and not me, that's crazy. I get it for $12/yard, and buy as little as 2 yards and get it delivered for $25. Naturally, the customer pays the delivery charge, just at they would from the Garden Center. Furthermore, when the garden centers all sell it for about $18 to $25 a yard with a small $30 truck charge, why would anyone pay $40/yard from you?
Furthermore, recheck your math, I said $30/yard to spread, and bobby did it in 50 minutes. That's about $70/hour, which is fine with me.................
DP

kris
03-08-2004, 07:58 AM
We are the garden center..and the rest of your post makes no sense at all. We're crazy for having 200 hundred yards on hand to sell and install? Ya Ok Pete... There has been days when 200 yards go out.

Strawbridge Lawn
03-08-2004, 08:55 AM
I also was shocked at what you charge, but I do know that from NJ through New England we are talking about a higher cost of living/pay scale. To do 2 Yards I have moved away from Wheel Barrows to improve my efficiency. A 17 SF Dump Trailer pulled by a tiny 14HP 34" tractor gives me access to just about anywhere and improves capacity per load. To just dump mulch in a bed my charge would have been 40-45$ p/hr plus the cost of mulch.
accesses. Prob 45 labor (1 hr) plus mulch cost and maybe a slight deliv charge.
Mulch isn't rocket science work and if someone else is doing it significantly faster and cheaper (vet still making good money) they will prosper. This type f job is perfect for a part timer.
Pay him $10 p/hr while you are on another $45 p/hr job
Gross $35+$45 or $80 vice $45 p/hr. A good part timer is something every solo guy should consider IMHO.
For mulch jobs 4CY, and higher I use a compact loader to load
the 17SF dump trailer. Last Saturday I had ONE part timer putting in 3.0-3.5 Cy p/hr. No shoveling, just raking.
As a solo your biggest enemy is efficiency.
Using tools to improve this efficiency/productivityshould be your goal.

bobbygedd
03-08-2004, 10:07 AM
and increase overhead by double/tripple. then i'll be like that hamster, running on that wheel, running, running, running......getting nowhere.

Doc Pete
03-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by kris
We are the garden center..and the rest of your post makes no sense at all. We're crazy for having 200 hundred yards on hand to sell and install? Ya Ok Pete... There has been days when 200 yards go out.

Well, I'm sorry. I can seem to find where you said "you" were the garden center. I assumed you were a LCO. Naturally, not knowing you are the Garden center makes my post incorrect.
Anyway, in NJ the absolute best mulch money can buy is still under $30/yard. So, more power to ya that you can get $40/yard for yours. That just won't fly in NJ........
DP

culand
03-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Bobbygedd " $140 for 2 yards"
--------------------------------------------

I buy Ceder mulch for $30. a 3.85 cubic feet, sell it for $ 75.00. I hope I was making a very good profit. Maybe WE need to rethink what we are charging. Thank you for this infofmation.

CULTURAL LANDSCAPE

LANDSCAPE AND LAWNCARE

Doc Pete
03-08-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by culand
Bobbygedd " $140 for 2 yards"
--------------------------------------------

I buy Ceder mulch for $30. a 3.85 cubic feet, sell it for $ 75.00. I hope I was making a very good profit. Maybe WE need to rethink what we are charging. Thank you for this infofmation.

I guess we must have smarter consumers in NJ. They can buy Cedar mulch for $28/yard themselves at the local garden center. Delivery is $30, regardless of the amount. Buying 10 yards would cost them $31/yard, inclulding delivery........Hmmmmmmmmmm, guess I couldn't sell it them for $75/yard.........
I gotta move to another state, or get dumber customers........
DP

CULTURAL LANDSCAPE

LANDSCAPE AND LAWNCARE

bobbygedd
03-08-2004, 05:16 PM
doctor pete, you lost me on that one. do you sell cedar mulch for $75 a yard? how much do you charge for double ground root mulch? we charge $88 a yard for cedar mulch.

Strawbridge Lawn
03-08-2004, 06:13 PM
Bobby you wrote: "and increase overhead by double/tripple. then i'll be like that hamster, running on that wheel, running, running, running......getting nowhere.

Bobby, All the equipment I own is paid for except my new loader and of course a truck payment. I have not doubled or trippled my overhead.
IMO, those trying to maximize the efficiency of their pitchfork and wheelbarrow are the Hampsters you described.
When you can afford it, spend money to make what you do faster and easier. Allow for diversification and work smarter not harder.
If staying small is what you want that is fine too. Just don't see much neeed to time anything for things will be pretty close to what they were last year. Just ask the hampster.

bobbygedd
03-08-2004, 06:35 PM
we are talking about 2 yds of mulch. by the time you load and unload your little tractor and whatever apparatus u described, i'm done and gone. i'd say the biggest part of the expense of doing mulch is the time u need to clean the truck, go to the mulch place, wait in line to pay, wait in line to be loaded, drive to the jobsite, clean out truck. the actual time/labor involved in pitching, and spreading is nothing. for 2 yards i spend more time doing everything but unloading it and spreading it. if i have to buy "special " equipment now to install mulch, i'd have to charge $100 a yard. most guys don't make money on mulch, they only think they do. if "getting big" is your goal, my advice is don't take on tiny jobs like 2 yds of mulch, your overhead is too high to make it worth your while. i "maximize" efficiancy, by keeping my overhead down to pennies an hour. now i don't have the need to gross $ 2000 a day to scrape out a $200 payday, see what i'm saying? hey, maybe i'm wrong, it's happened once or twice before. as a part time op, i was very efficiant and very proffitable, all i'm doing is trying to do more of the same. more, of a good thing, SHOULD equal, more good results. right?

Doc Pete
03-08-2004, 06:56 PM
doctor pete, you lost me on that one. do you sell cedar mulch for $75 a yard? how much do you charge for double ground root mulch? we charge $88 a yard for cedar mulch.

Bobby, I don't know how you guy's do it, but I sure can't sell mulch to the customer at $40 or $50 a yard, when they can buy it themselves for $35 a yard and have it deliver for another $30 from a garden center. You tell me, what am I missing???

Why would customer pay you $88/yard, when they can buy it from the garden center at $35 or $40/yard?

bobbygedd
03-08-2004, 07:20 PM
pete, it's labor they are paying for. my prices: double ground root mulch=$65. cedar=$88. red or black dyed mulch=$92. look, if you charge $50 a yard, it's like this: you get $100 for the two yards. it cost you $24 to buy it, now you're down to $76. it took you how long to clean the truck, so you can pick the mulch up? at least an hour to pick it up, and get to the site. another hour to unload/spread it. i bet that entire 2 yd mulch job including drive time,truck cleaning, etc, took you 2.5 hrs. you had $76 left after purchase. let $6 bucks go for gas. u r left with $70, for 2.5 hrs? i'd rather cut grass. in 2.5 hrs i can do 4 lawns at $30 each, no cost for material. now, if you're selling 40 yds a week, you are ok. but just the little stuff like 2 yds here and there, aint worth it. it becomes worth it to me, when i'm doing flowers along with it, or a cleanup, u know what i mean. hey, i know guys here that do mulch for $40 a yard. those are the guys who are so broke, they were out today diggin thru the snow to get thier spring clean ups done

kris
03-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Bobby..I wouldn't knock guys to much for high overhead ...it's all relevant right? I think what is important is to have a handle on your overhead no matter what size you are. Overhead costs also go in cycles .... we are at a point where we are max'ed out for our overhead. One example would be our shop.... we'll be running 9 plus crews out of it this season. Next winter we will more than likely expand it so you have the extra overhead of all that is involved...after that we'll be OK for some years until we build it up to another 9 crews... and the cycle continues. Same goes for office staff, You get to a point where your max ed out ...you hope that the extra sales even it all out but chances are it doesn't...tricky thing that overhead is.

Doc Pete
03-08-2004, 09:10 PM
would that work for you? my competitors sell it for $30-$60 a yard. i'm usually at $65, but my usual place didn't have any, so i had to pay a bit more for it

For what it's worth Bobby, read the above statement. This is what originally caused my questions. You talk about selling at $65/yard, when you should have explained you "sell and install" for that price. This is a big difference. Also, I charge the customer a flat $30 delivery charge on top of my "sell and install" price. I suggest you may need to be a bit more specific when talking about mulch. That OK, with you????
DP

bobbygedd
03-08-2004, 09:22 PM
for you sir, anything. please excuse me for not being thorough.

Doc Pete
03-09-2004, 12:09 AM
for you sir, anything. please excuse me for not being thorough.

Sorry, if I took you too literally.........

Strawbridge Lawn
03-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Bobby, It would take me under 1 hr to do what you describe and it takes 2 minutes to unload the machine. The difference is if you
have 4-5 jobs a day how efficient are you on the 4th and 5th job?
Unless its over 85F, I don't break a sweat even on the 5th job.
Some jobs I drop the machine off and pick up the mulch and others I have it delivered.
Best to you Bobby.. Keep an open mind

bobbygedd
03-09-2004, 09:22 AM
if i keep my mind open, all that smart stuff might leak out. i follow you strawbridge, if you have alot of mulch to do, your little go cart thing may be worth it. but, if you are doing only a little, trying to be "efficient" may cost you more time. here is the way i'm picturing it: you take everything off your trailer, load up the little tractor and dump trailer. go to the mulch place, get your mulch, go to the site. now, you still have to shovel the mulch from the truck, into the little trailer, correct? so the only thing you are eliminating is pushing the wheelbarrow from point A to point B. i can't see the big savings here on time or energy. i'm think it would be more efficient to keep your mowers on your trailer, do the mulch like i do it, when your done, there is no going back to the shop for mowers, you just get to your next job. unless, of course, you are spending the whole day doing mulch, in which case your way is great. anyhow, i'm open minded enough to understand that my part time venture turning full time is yet another learning/development stage i'll be going through.

Strawbridge Lawn
03-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Bobby, My dump cart takes 2 Wheelbarrow loads and I load it in
30 seconds. On ONE 2CY job there is an element of lost time in loading/unloading. I make up for it in capacity per load and ereducing load time.
Honestly I would never do just one 2 CY mulch job in one day
with all of this equipment. Combining 3,4,or 5 in one day is where you attain efficiency and productivity and make the money.
How each of us does this and how we feal at the end of the
day is what is important. I average 2-2.5 cy p/hr with this
set up as a solo. That includes spreading loading/unloading.

Doc Pete
03-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Strawbridge Lawn
Bobby, My dump cart takes 2 Wheelbarrow loads and I load it in 30 seconds. .

Frankly, this post can be a great topic.
Mulch is different for each of us. The solo LCO must find ways to make an “acceptable profit”, and the big guys have high overhead and must address mulching in another way.
Instead of us “biting each others butt”, sharing information and techniques can help all of us.
For me, I won’t turn away a 2-yard mulch job. I usually save it for a Saturday, I add a $30 delivery charge, and forget about if it takes more or less to pick up the mulch. As a solo guy, all I lose if it takes more then the equivalent of $65/hour for my delivery costs is “time”. Who cares if I take 15 minutes or 45 minutes for delivery? Money is money, and I’d rather make my $140 for the job, and make a bit less per hour, than over bid the job and make “nothing”. This is one of the ways we solo guy’s make a good living. Yes, we may put a few extra hours, but all that lost time means is “one less trip to Dunkin Donuts”.:D
DP

Katwalk
03-09-2004, 08:37 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bobbygedd
[Bi can take on little projects like 2 yards of mulch, and as i said, grossing $240, twice a day=$480. if i minus the cost of material and fuel, it brings me down to about $390 for the day. minus my operating costs of around $50, that leaves me $340 for the day, times that by 6 days, i'm i'm dragging in over 2 grand a week, after costs, by myself, working max 8 hrs a day. i don't know what you need, but i can live just fine on that.

Bobby.....4 years at lawn site......over 3300 posts.....can you refer me to a post that shows someone legitimately mulching (2) 2 yard jobs a day for six days a week for the season and "dragging in over two grand a week?" The first month would equal 48 customers . I could make two grand a week if I had 5 lawns at $400 a pop. I would only have to do one lawn a day five days a week, weekends off!! Taking it from paper or from the imagination and making it reality is fairly difficult. Being the solo operator that you are I know that it is tough when you don't have someone to pat you on the back for a job well done. Based on the info given on your speedy "delivery and unloading and oh yeah cleaning the truck?, let me tell you that you are the BEST MAN!!!" Keep up the good work BobbyGedd!!!!!:waving:

bobbygedd
03-09-2004, 11:44 PM
katwalk, i'm afraid that because of my limited intelect, i don't understand what you are trying to say. are you calling me an idiot? if you are, fine, you are now on a list of about 3000 others that have done the same. but i really don't get it. i was trying to make a point, that i didn't think the tractor setup was neccessary for tiny jobs. and yes, the tiny 2 yard jobs are profitable, to me, if i had them all day, every day, i'd make plenty of $$. that's all.

Doc Pete
03-10-2004, 12:14 AM
katwalk, i'm afraid that because of my limited intelect,.

Don't worry Bobby,
You could always be a downsized Computer or At&T worker looking for work. :)
I'm happy to have a job and benifits.
DP

DJL
03-10-2004, 12:35 AM
bobby,

Myself and my partners first year in the biz was last year. We only did 7 mulch applications ranging from a small 4 yard job to a large (to us) 15 yard job. Keep in mind there were two of us. We averaged ~7-8 yards in two hours. Breaking that down, if my calculations are correct, that equates to 2 yards per man-hour.

The way we operated, just to give an idea, one person stood at the dump trailer filling an 8CF wheel barrel. The other person was walking the second full barrel and dumping it in the prepared bed and then changing it out with the full one. We'd stop every 6 to 7 barrels full because we would get tired of the walking/shoveling and spread the mulch around the bed. Notice, the time only includes taking the mulch from the dump trailer to the bed and spreading the mulch out. No time is included for weeding, edging, landscape fabric, etc...

Strawbridge Lawn
03-10-2004, 07:47 AM
Bobby, I don't turn away 2CY mulch jobs either. I simply try to schedule 2-3 or 4 of them into one day so I can use the machines. If not, and time was not a factor I would probably leave the loader at home, but more and more time IS a factor it seems.
Of course the loader I use is not just for mulch. I use it on nearly every landscape Job so the overhead is spread out and easily paid for. 250 p/mo is not allot of overhead.
Whatever works for you is what matters. I have done it the wheel barrow way and now this way and the wheel barrow while used on occassion, is a backup for the most part.
I was only trying to provide some alternative ideas that have
really helped me.

Doc Pete
03-10-2004, 08:06 AM
And Remember, they do make an electric power wheelbarrow that is supposed handle a 20 degree incline. That would really ease the load of those smaller jobs.
DP

GarPA
03-10-2004, 08:58 AM
Doc..being the old fart that I am, always looking for ways to do things easier...do you know who makes the electric wheelbarrow and a ballpark price?

bobbygedd
03-10-2004, 10:35 AM
electric wheelbarrow? come on guys, come on. now, you are killing me.how bout you just get a wheelchair too, so you don't have to walk to the truck. what do you do to get or keep your equipment running properly? maintenence, preventative maint, keep it greased, use quality oil, good fuel, etc. well, what are you doing to keep or get yourself in condition during december, jan, feb, march? you should be excersising. when the day comes that i need an electric wheelbarrow, i'll buy some rope and look for a good strong branch

amw
03-10-2004, 11:31 AM
the "electric wheelbarrow" is very handy on the right job .
and can save allot of $ on doctor bills later in life! (back probs)

electric wheelbarrow? come on guys, come on. now, you are killing me.how bout you just get a wheelchair too, so you don't have to walk to the truck. what do you do to get or keep your equipment running properly? maintenence, preventative maint, keep it greased, use quality oil, good fuel, etc. well, what are you doing to keep or get yourself in condition during december, jan, feb, march? you should be excersising. when the day comes that i need an electric wheelbarrow, i'll buy some rope and look for a good strong branch

Nothin wrong with "working smarter, not harder"
(screw the wheelchair... just need a remote control for the mower, and maybe a remote controled helicoptor to replace the line trimer... just cant figure out how to edge by remote...lol....then you can just sit in the truck the whole time..:D )

Lombardi
03-10-2004, 11:37 AM
Well, bobby has done it again. He has lured us all in to bite on such a simple subject and get our feathers ruffled.
Looking at the content of the majority of his posts, I really think he is being paid by Lawnsite just to entertain some and pi## some off.

Doc Pete
03-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Lombardi
Well, bobby has done it again. He has lured us all in to bite on such a simple subject and get our feathers ruffled.

Yeah, but's it's much better than arguing with the wife:D
DP

Doc Pete
03-10-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by GarPA
Doc..being the old fart that I am, always looking for ways to do things easier...do you know who makes the electric wheelbarrow and a ballpark price?

Who's older again.... I'm 2/28/50.:o
Here's one website. I'm ready to get one.

http://www.countryhomeproducts.com/prdSell.aspx?X=1&p2Name=Lawn&p1Name=GardenHaulersCarriers&Name=Cargomaxx&src=AW46134XE2343309

bobbygedd
03-10-2004, 12:18 PM
lombardi, if i entertain you, that is great. if i p!ss you off, then you are knucklehead, for taking things so seriously. but the fact of the matter, on the subject, is simple. this line if work we are in, requires physical fitness. i can't believe my eyes sometimes, i see landscapers, who rely sooo much on thier health, streghnth, and ability to brave the elements, and i see them smoking like a chimney, and eating lunch at wendy's , cheese running down thier chin off of thier double bacon chedder melt, they can't pump the french fries in fast enough either. then, they downsize or go out altogether cus they say the work is "too labor intense". sure it is, if you're trying to work with a ciggarette in one hand, and a milkshake in the other. i have a cousin, did landscaping only, the most beautiful work , pavers, stone walls, very nice stuff. he was solo, and made a great living till he was about 33 yrs old. then he quit, cus, "it's too labor intense." two packs of butts a day, and eating like a slob, never excersised at all. saw him last month, he's at least 100 lbs overweight, i can't tell where his chin stops, and his neck starts, his fat head is the size of a basketball. are you getting my drift? electric wheelbarrows? good lord, what will they think of next?and, by the way, sean.....you're late on your payment!

tailoredlook
03-10-2004, 12:27 PM
roughly 1 man hour per yard. But if you have to spread by hand instead of fork, or a steep hill about 1.5 man hours per yard.

Doc Pete
03-10-2004, 12:36 PM
electric wheelbarrows? good lord, what will they think of next?and, by the way, sean.....you're late on your payment!

Bobby,
You need a bit more time to catch up to me, at 54.:D Anyway, I never wanted to use a sulky, but rather walk every lawn. Well, now I still walk the same amount distance on lawns, but using the sulky "and walking", I doing 2 to 3 more lawns each night.
Again, as the smart guy you are, if the wheelbarrow let's you do 4 jobs in the same time it takes to walk 2, and as long as you keep up "your same rate of phyical output", you're just making more money for the effort you're expending.....
DP