PDA

View Full Version : Put out flyers today and noticed....

justmjc
03-07-2004, 02:47 AM
I noticed somone also advertising. However, what he was doing was putting them in between the mailbox and the flag. Now, since I was only putting them in the paper boxes, I ran into a few homes that don't have any. But, because of his illegal methods, he has his there. What do you think? Should I call the postmaster and bust him? :D

T Edwards
03-07-2004, 05:20 AM
Remove them and throw them in the trash. You don't need the competition. When I owned a UPS store a competitor down the street hired someone to blanket all the cars in my shopping center with fliers one December. They were walking the lot about every 2 hours to catch the turnover of shoppers. I sent someone to remove all his fliers from my potential customer's vehicles and after Christmas I boxed up about 1500 of them and delivered them to him. Look what I found.

justmjc
03-07-2004, 09:51 AM
That's funny. I'd get pissed if I got back a box of my own flyers. But very funny.:rolleyes:

CNYScapes
03-07-2004, 10:03 AM
It is not illegal to put flyers ON a mailbox. It is only illegal to put flyers IN the mailbox. This came right from the US Post office information line.

gramps
03-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by justmjc
I noticed somone also advertising. However, what he was doing was putting them in between the mailbox and the flag. Now, since I was only putting them in the paper boxes, I ran into a few homes that don't have any. But, because of his illegal methods, he has his there. What do you think? Should I call the postmaster and bust him? :D
What do you care?Be comfident and don't give a -hit.

Landmark
03-07-2004, 10:46 AM
I believe the newspaper people would not be too happy about you putting fliers in their boxes. I would not be surprised if they call you and tell you to stop.

proenterprises
03-07-2004, 11:05 AM
if hes putting them in boxes-dont worry about busting them-the post office will take care of that themselves. i made that mistake last year, put them in mail boxes and got a nasty call from the PO the next day. they said if i did it again i would be looking at a hefty fine.

i would not throw them out. i know some will disagree-but i would never throw out somone elses flyers unless i could tell that they were joe mow and go $5.00 scrub. A legit company has as much right to advertise as you do, so let them.

MOOSE
03-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Hey those may be mine. Not!

Where do you work justmjc.

I work in the Bloomfield Hills area of Michigan

Metro Lawn
03-07-2004, 01:17 PM
My buddy was putting flyers in mailboxes. He got one sent back to him along with a letter from the postal service. It said something to the effect that nothing is to be put in, attached to, hung on, ect ect. any U.S. Mail box unless it has the required postage on it.

Pecker
03-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Don't bust him. He's a hard - working guy just like you and he went to all the trouble to make those flyers and put them out (even though he doesn't know better than to put them on a mailbox. If you can't get business without robbing his flyers, then you don't deserve it. On the other hand, if you can land those customers fair and square, you deserve them more than he does. Eliminate competition through business, not through back-biting.

CNYScapes
03-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Instead of listening to secondhand bull@#$% why not just call the post office and ask them about flyers on mailboxes. I did just that and you are allowed to put a flyer ON a mailbox, but not in it.

Jason Pallas
03-08-2004, 12:20 AM
If they are afixed in any way shape or form to the mailbox, post flag or other, the US Postal service considers it a violation - I know this firsthand (distributed flyers about a resident's association and got a call from the local postmaster).

Runner
03-08-2004, 01:04 AM
This is true. I don't know who from the postoffice gave this advice that you can hang stuff on the boxes, but it CERTAINLY wasn't the PMG. This was some ill advice given by one of the postal workers. There have been several threads on here, regarding this, and advice given as well straight from the horses mouth. I remember someone posting the link, or the exact violation code and description on here a while back. Mailboxes are OUT of BOUNDS for solicitation. I can see the point, though. Who posted that they would take them off of the boxes, this is something I would not advise, either. I wouldn't TOUCH anything on anyones box.

Soupy
03-08-2004, 01:22 AM
I always try to ask the mail carrier in that location if he cares if I hang them on the box. I always get the same answer, "yes, as long as you don't block the door and make it harder for me to do my job". I'm not saying it is legal to put them on the box, but if the mail carrier agrees with it, then who is going to bust you.

Most mailboxes around here are on a wooden pole with a ledge, the box sits on the ledge and against the poll. I slip them in between the box and poll. If it a box hung by the door, then they usually have 2 hooks under them for newspapers. I hang the flyer on one of them (I use door-hangers).

Last week I was putting my hangers between the mail boxes and polls in my sisters neighborhood. She lives in a new neighborhood and everyone knows her. One of the kids went up to her and said that a black f-150 was driving around taking the hangers off the boxes. I consider this theft and I wish I knew who it was. I know it would be a federal offense if the homeowner would press charges.

PaulJ
03-08-2004, 06:55 AM
Forget the mailboxes and take them to the door. I use ruber bands and attach them to the door knob. Often I will ring the door bell first and then hand them the flier in person if they are home. nOthing pushy, just introduce myself ad give themthe flier and leave it at that. Some ask for more info some don't. If no answer I just roll up the flier wrap a rubber band arond it and around the door knob and on to the next house.

mole
03-08-2004, 08:05 AM
better yet give you local paper boy 20.00 bucks to stuff them with the sunday paper. seeing that most peple get the paper on sunday. thats what i do.

mole
03-08-2004, 08:07 AM
also In ny you can hang the mailer on the box if you put them in a clear bag that is made to hang them on the flag. I have purchased these bags they cost next to nothing. never get in trouble.

terracare
03-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Ed and I have long since given up on flyers.

GrassBlaster
03-08-2004, 09:00 AM
Try taking thumbtacks and tacking the flyers to the wooden mailbox post.

justmjc
03-08-2004, 07:01 PM
lol, I can see all the neighborhood kids having fun with the tacs. Not only would I lose the flyers, but I'd have a liability on hand.

Just got it from the horses mouth. NO WAY, shape or form are any materials to be distributed on, around, or hell, even close to touching the mailbox. NOTHING. I was instructed that everything that has been found in my sub and other subs locally are collected and investigated. She said we have hundreds of these things and I'm sorry if they're yours. I said, nope, just competion and asked about the newspaper box. She said, we make no decisions in regards to that. I laughed and told her thank you, you confirmed my thoughts. I knew a company that got fined in the past for this, but I'm glad she re-confirmed it for me.

The ironic part about the whole thing was that just today, I found another company copying the same method of sticking their flyer between the flag and mailbox. I guess these guys don't read lawnsite.com.

:D

dvmcmrhp52
03-08-2004, 07:14 PM
I got a flier on my front door the other day...............Fool!
LOL.

proenterprises
03-08-2004, 07:17 PM
has anybody actually ever been fined for mailbox advertising?

what was the fine?