PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make money?

cwb20
03-07-2004, 04:32 AM
WHo made a profit last year and how many customers can a single 3 man crew handle?

kdmaint
03-07-2004, 04:37 AM
good money last year
6-10 res i would think per day

bastalker
03-07-2004, 04:44 AM
Nope!!! no one here makes any money. We just do it cause we love the outdoors....

Cmon cwb, you know we are makin money, or we wouldn't be here.

A 3 man crew could handle 80-100 accounts no problem depending on the area....

I realize your a new member, but if you have to ask if anyone makes money, you might want to look for a new proffesion...

justmjc
03-07-2004, 04:49 AM
Whoa, that's a hard one to answer. ALL depends on your drive time and how large of accounts you have. I personally know of 1 company that runs 3 man crews all day. Told me that they had 180 accounts a week with that 3 man crew. I've personally have done 33 accounts in a 10 hour day with myself and another very experienced and driven individual, including drive time. Of course, these are 3000-5000 sq foot sub lots tight together. If you have larger accounts, that number will be much less. The amount is not what's important, it's the profitability of the crew. Remember with a crew, your paying for quicker times on your accounts. That's at least one reason behind it.

lawnman_scott
03-07-2004, 09:09 AM
we do about 150-160 or so in the summer with 3 people. And I would say everyone made money, or I hope they did anyway.

rodfather
03-07-2004, 10:10 AM
Your question is too faigue...btw, read my signature.

kris
03-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by cwb20
WHo made a profit last year and how many customers can a single 3 man crew handle?

one .. they're a big customer

Jackman
03-07-2004, 11:26 AM
I have made money every year since I started (1992) , not the big bucks but a better live than a regular job would offer...

craigs lawncare
03-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by cwb20

cwb20, your question was pretty vague. Size of the lawn means everything.
Some days I can only do three, but they are huge lawns.
Nobody would do this if we didn't make decent money at it.
Bastalker was a bit hard on you with his response, but its common sense. I mow part time along with a 40hr per week job. I only do 12 lawns currently, but I will be picking up 6 more this summer. It's like a hobby for me because I like gardening and being out-doors. Something I can't have in my current office job.:(
Like I said, it's a hobby but make no mistake about it, come August and that thermometer hits the upper 90's... lawn mowing becomes work and by November I am ready for winter and the grass to go dormant. If it wasn't for the money, I would dump my lawns in a heartbeat!

Yes, money is what its all about in this business... hobby or not.

Craig

Acute Cut
03-07-2004, 11:52 AM
i know myself and one other guy can do 120 or so a week and not feel too rushed. I think probably about 150 would be the max though. Again it depends on drive time and size of yards.

swim
03-07-2004, 11:57 AM
I do enjoy the work that I do but if I couldn't pay the bills I would have to do something else. I would just be going fishing ,camping, or hunting for fun. And gardening as my hobby. I do enjoy these things but with my work I get to work outside all day and enjoy it.

As for the # of lawns in a day, there are to many variables for me to help you with that one. If I had to guess I would say between 1 and 150.:D

proenterprises
03-07-2004, 11:59 AM
the lco i work for is a 3 man crew.

we do 80-90 a week, takes almost 4 days.
9-10 hour days, no lunch.
Were not running at max capacity either, the chief builds spec houses so 4 days is enough.

If you worked 5 full days, 9 hours per day (say 1 hour for lunch, downtime and other various bs)

Assuming things went well-you could probably push 110.

GrassBustersLawn
03-07-2004, 12:11 PM
I've done 27 in 1 day with 1 helper. We normally do low 20's on a daily basis (5 days a week). Save Saturday for rain makeups.

Mike

Lux Lawn
03-07-2004, 12:21 PM
That is a tough question to ask "how many can a 3 man crew do in a week".I would think it depends on your work habits,average size lawn driving distance and equipment are you using 3 21 inch mowers 2 walk behinds one of each and a guy trimming.

EastProLawn
03-07-2004, 12:34 PM
2 to 3 man crew here and we do on average 10 to 15 per day and yes we make money. My yards a little bigger than average.
We work a a decent pace, but we definitely don't kill ourselves either.

tiedeman
03-07-2004, 01:00 PM
made really good money last year. Use the 2 man crew, you will have better results than a 3 man crew.

Roger
03-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Too much of what has been offered here is of no value because of lack of complete information. Some have said, "...not enough to say." Agree! The number of lawns being mowed per week is interesting -- more interesting is whether or not any profit was made. In the end, none of you really care about quantity of cuttings, only if the season (or day) was profitable.

tiedeman
03-07-2004, 05:11 PM
I have tried both 2 and 3 man crews before in the past. I feel they were a complete waste of money. No matter what, you will always have one guy standing around waiting for another guy to finish up something. There was too much confusion as well for us.

The number of customers that a 3 man crew can handle, if you want to use a 3 man crew, is up to the equipment, the technique, the leadership, team work, size of property, location of property, difficulty of property,...the list goes on. I don't think that anybody can give an exact answer because of all the factors.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-07-2004, 05:17 PM
I am a solo operator so i cant answer that question. What i wanted to add to the thread is alot of people ask '' is there money made in cutting grass?'' and my reply is what i have heard from all the farmers in my area for the last 30 years. ''Nope, no money in farming, i just been in it too long to get out of it.'' i just substitute cutting grass for farming .