PDA

View Full Version : How much work are we losing?

tiedeman
03-07-2004, 12:21 PM
I was just thinking about this as I answered a question in the homeowners section. How much work are we losing by making this site a public forum?

Homeowners, business owners, propery owners are coming on here and see how to do certain things in their lawn and landscaping areas without having to hire on the local LCO. They learn step by step on how to seed a lawn, fertilization requirements, landscaping installation, etc. Are we hurting ourselves?

Or, do the number of potential customers that come on here are so small that it doesn't affect us that much or none at all? Are they customers that are do it themselves and probably wouldn't hire us in the first place?

Just a question I am asking fellow LCO's.

Lombardi
03-07-2004, 12:30 PM
I don't think it has much affect at all. There will always be DIYers in every trade out there. Probably more in this industry because it doesn't take an Einstein to run a mower.
I do a lot of things around the house myself such as painting, minor carpentry, plumbing etc. I do so because I enjoy it and I know how much I am saving by doing it myself.
I think that a lot of people will try to do some things on their own first and then realize that it is best left to a professional.

dkeisala
03-07-2004, 12:30 PM
I would think that none of my customers, or potential customers for that matter, would find this site nearly as fascinating as any of us do.

Those people hiring out lawn care don't have an interest in doing their own yard work let alone spending time researching how to do it themselves. The homeowners on this site are those that enjoy tending to their landscape themselves and probably wouldn't dream about hiring the work out anyway.

swim
03-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Most of my customers are people who don't have time, can't because of health, or just don't like doing what I do. Many of them have their own mowers and equipment to do it they just don't like to do it. So I don't think it is hurting my business at all.

alpine692003
03-07-2004, 01:07 PM
I dont have a lot of people that come on this board that come from where I am.

I know there are a few people from my city that frequent this board, but not enough :D

Metro Lawn
03-07-2004, 01:07 PM
If anything, it may help us. If they see some of the postings about "scrubs" ect. It may make them more aware of what to look for when choosing a lco. Not just a cheap price.

bobbygedd
03-07-2004, 01:24 PM
"give a man a fish, he will eat today, teach a man to fish, he will eat always." whoever wrote that, did not own a fish market. the fact is, everybody owns a computer. i get hired alot of times because, "i just can't get it to look right." this is what the customer tells me. places like home depot off classes on" how to", because they sell the products that are required for the project. you don't see mcdonalds offering "how to" classes on paver work, because they don't sell pavers. our product is out service, alot of it consists of our knowledge. we give this away, meanwhile we get nothing in return. and, in some cases i'm sure, the homeowner who was gonna hire a proffessional, learns how to here, and does it himself. so, my answer is, allowing homeowners here, is bad for business

Richard Martin
03-07-2004, 01:37 PM
There are 652,000 hits for "Plant Grass Seed" on Yahoo. I don't think we're giving any info away here that isn't available on thousands of other web sites.

alpine692003
03-07-2004, 02:17 PM
If you thought this was bad for business, that goes for the rest of search engines.

Try going on yahoo, google.com and other search engines on topics like

Lawn care, fertilizing, aeration.

You will see TONS!!!!

NCSULandscaper
03-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Ive found even if most people read this, they still have no clue what they are doing. I dont feel threatened in the least bit about losing customers due to the internet.

Roger
03-07-2004, 03:54 PM
I feel nearly all of my customers don't know what I'm doing, nor do they care very much. For them to access this site for information is the out of the question. They just want the work done, because they don't care to even think about mowing their lawn themselves.

sildoc
03-07-2004, 04:23 PM
I feel there are a number of other sites that if the home owner or commercial person would like to do it themselves they have more than ample oppertunity to do so. I would think that it would make a person leave it to the professional rather than tackle a large job, costing many dollars and end up with sub par results due to lack of knowledge of the entire scheme of matter. Then again I have talked to several other LCO's and told them about this site and none have yet attended one of the intelectual stimulating online world of lawnsite.com.

protouchlawn
03-07-2004, 05:15 PM
IMO,dkeisala hit the nail on the head.

AGL
03-07-2004, 06:36 PM
As a homeowner (and definitely not a landscape professional) I can tell you no one in SW PA has lost any of my business because of this being a public forum.

As a matter of fact you may have gained some. Just the stories of the lowballers should enlighten any homeowner about the need to to hire experienced, insured, and well equipped professionals.

I enjoy cutting my own grass. It also gives me a certain sense of accomplishment. I did it before there was an Internet and long before I discovered this site. That is however, the extent of my landscaping desire or knowledge. Was I ever a candidate for hiring one of you to cut my lawn? I don't think so.

When I need something done more than cutting grass I hire one of you. That include fertilizing, weed control, aerating, tree and shrub planting & care - anything other than basic grass cutting. You guys have the equipment, the experience and the Knowledge. There is no way I could expect the same results as you.

The difference between before I found this site, and after is that I now know how to identify a professional landscaper from a fly by night operator.

I would think that is a good thing for you guys (and girls).

AGL

Andyinchville
03-07-2004, 08:26 PM
I doubt we're losing any work because of this....People who do their own yards are people who want to do it themselves anyways....The fact that they can get hints from this site just helps them to do their own yard better of faster.....The people we get I believe are those who dont want to have to mess with their own yard for one reason or another.....Also since alot of
posts here deals w/ professional equipment, I doubt many homeowners would want to purchase commercial grade for their own small yard....Big yard Do it yourselfer may consider it tho...

Randy Scott
03-07-2004, 08:33 PM
More damage may be done by helping other LCO's on this site rather than the homeowner. There is some good being done here with trying to get some people to realize what it takes to run a business. I'm just not into revealing any more than need be. Some info exchange is good, but there is plenty that I think is kept to ourselves and should be. Everyone has to learn for themselves.

tiedeman
03-07-2004, 09:12 PM
that is a good point randy. Sometimes it seems that LCO's on here, including myself, give out too much information that has helped them along the way. I do agree with helping each other out, but not showing your whole hand of cards.

Stewart
03-07-2004, 09:38 PM
I am not a pro either, I don't have the cash to pay to have my 2.5 acres done. Besides I really enjoy being outside doing the yard. I really appreciate the honest answers about equipment and how to do the work the right way. If you want to know how to do something just ask the pros, and the same goes for equipment. 2.5 acres is not good on homeowner type equipment. If you guys have it on your trailers and trucks it will probably stand up to everything I can throw at it.

I don't think the average customer you guys have will be lost because of this site or others like it. They have the money to pay you to take care of their yards because they don't have the time or are too busy to do it themselves. I think this site might even be a cheap form of advertising with all the web links and numbers in the signature blocks, not to mention most of the posts represent honest folks trying to earn an honest living. Just my 2 pennies! Thanks!

brucec32
03-07-2004, 10:32 PM
Let's see...50 million homes out there....a few hundred questions answered here every year. In another 10 or 20 thousand years we should all be out of business.