PDA

View Full Version : Keystone Wall Labor only

nac
03-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Wsa woundering if I can get some helpf from you guys I have A job that I am looking at where the Contractor wants me to install Keystone compact straight face units for him. He will supply the block, geogrid, gravel all material. I have to supply labor to install A machine to dig/backfill and a compactor. There is about 13,000 block and most if it 4 straight walls about 8-10 feet high 250 feet long I think i can do it for 5.50 a block any help would be appricated. I will use a 4 man crew a 8500 revesivble plate compactor a skidsteer with forks and a excavator(18ton) i think i should finish in three weeks

capital
03-07-2004, 06:24 PM
I am wondering about your post are you talking you do the dig out of the site or is the contrator ? Also are you using soils on site or importing your back fill to meet job requirements ? I have alot of questions and concerns regarding bidding a wall that sounds like you have never done. Do you have the bid info and what is your time line and were are you allowed to store material on site. IE how close? Do you know how much grid your required to install alot of questions on a wall this size and contract conditions you have to satisfy to keep the contractor and engineers happy.

nac
03-07-2004, 06:38 PM
I have complete site drawings and shopdrawings. This is a new construction low income townhomes. The building are up and the grade slopes away from them at a 45 degrre angle. So all I have to do is remove enough fill so that the geogrid can be rolled out. Yes there will be a geothechnical inspecter checking compaction. All fill is going to be what is on site as long as it is suitable. all other material will be borught on site as needed. I am supply a JD 160 excavtor a skid steer and a revesible plate compactor and labor only. The job is only20 mins away. And all materials would be placed where I am working.

LHlandscaping
03-07-2004, 08:36 PM
I charge $25 per face foot for any wall over 4 feet because I bury 2 courses with a wall over 4 feet high. That seems to work out pretty good depending on the terrain you are building it in. If it was an area hard to access I would charge $30.00 per face foot to make up the time difference.

newleaflandscape
03-07-2004, 11:01 PM
If you are doing 8 to 10 foot walls you got two problems. In our state any structural wall 8 foot or higher requires an approval by an engineer before you build the wall. Number two is that keystone compacts should never be laid higher then three to four foot even with geo grid. Why dont you use the standards. You will still need to use the grid on the standards also. You are asking for trouble laying that size brick that tall. Just my 2 cents good luck.

nac
03-07-2004, 11:07 PM
I have shop drawing from keystone signed and sealed by an engineer . I am going to there spec geogrid every 3rd couse that why this job you can make money because most walls are staight and with and excavator and large compactor it shoulfd only cost me 2-3 a block to lay leaving me with 2.50-3.50 for me.

earthtool
03-08-2004, 01:40 AM
Nac,
First of all, thanks for asking questions that most people are leary of asking.
Second, just to help us answer your questions about srwu's, could or would you give us an idea as to how many walls you have built, and of what type.
And could you tell us what soil class your work site is.
What the point of repose is.
What steps are you going to take to achieve 95% Standard Proctor.
Not to sound critical or demeaning , it just knocks alot of bull out of the way if we can get to the heart of the matter.
Thanks
Jim

nac
03-08-2004, 06:14 PM
I am mostly a Concrete and mason contractor. I have done thousand of pour Concrete walls and also thousand of regular bock and mortar walls. As per keystone walls I have done a couple myself but will be hiring labores that have done in the past. To acheive 95% compaction first of all if smaller lift are neccsary so be it as per compaction it self I have a large revesible plate compactor about 9,000 lbs of forse. The soil is what is on site not clay not sand a blend of soil. All buildings that are complete have been fine so far no need to truck in fill.

earthtool
03-09-2004, 01:39 AM
Nat,
As with all participants of this thread we are just a little concerned that the project you are bidding on is ........ quit an undertaking for us that have experience, accreditation, licenses and years of hard knocks. Now bring on an individual that has trouble calculating his ....... and his business cost. Well the flags start flying.
Okay forget that you are using the wrong size block.
That you have not had a Geo engineer review your job site or plans.
That you are not aware of how surcharges are going to effect the walls. Or for that fact what the surcharges are.
Nat tell me what your plan calls for in the way of geogrid. What manufacture, type, at what spacing and how far back into the slope are you required to lay the grid.
What is the slope at the toe of the wall.
Is there soil investigation reports with boring logs.
Does the topography of the site present drainage or erosion problems.
Does storm water flow off of the buildings or paved area to the wall.
How about the profile of the wall.... Does the top or bottom step.
How are the dead loads going to effect the wall.
How much of the wall will be buried below grade.
With the answers from the questions above I will be able to help you calculate your day to day business expenses and how to formulate the per man hour rate of wages and how many square surface feet they will place a day.
Here again, I am not placing the gun to your head but rather asking minimal questions about a project of this size and scope.
Just my 2 cents
Jim