PDA

View Full Version : Scag -vs- Stander

cwb20
03-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Would anyone with knowledge of both the Wright Stander and Scag Turf Tiger please input your opinion on the more superior machine and why you believe it is so, thank you.

Michianamowpros
03-07-2004, 04:53 PM
I don't know much about either one I just bought a Tiger Cub but why stand when you can set on yourA$$

nelbuts
03-07-2004, 06:41 PM
OMG
You have got to be kidding!

You sit on your butt, your knees do not get beat to death, and your back is better for it on the Tiger. I have a Tiger and a Cub love them both but the Tiger is a little better on hills since the fuel tank is under the seat.

The Stander will do better on hills. Enough said, as that is it.

lawnlubber
03-07-2004, 08:13 PM
The Stander is available in a 36". It is better than a 36" Scag wb. Also the Stander is a very compact machine if room on the trailer is an issue.

Shady Brook
03-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Probably all depends on your needs. How big a stander are you talking about, how big of lawns.

To me a Stander is not to take the place of a Rider, but a walkbehind. Does a nice job of replacing a walkbehind, but if I can get a rider on the lawn, that is what I want to use. I have had a Tiger, a Tiger Cub, and 36" Stander. The Tigers are faster, as good or better on hills, cut and discharge better, and allow one to sit. All a bonus to me. The Stander is fun, but it does not make me money like a rider. A bigger Stander will narrow the gap, but from where I sit....Lets say I choose to sit whenever possible.

Jay

kdmaint
03-07-2004, 10:54 PM
hay guys what is the price comparson on both model with 52 deck

brucec32
03-08-2004, 10:02 PM
I got outbid on a 36" stander on Ebay. Probably by one of you guys. The stander seems more fun to use, but I definitely prefer to sit when the heat is on and the hours mount up. As a walk-behind replacement, sure. But I don't see the value in 52" plus sized standers. At least on the type lawns I have done.

energy
03-09-2004, 12:41 AM
hope it wasnt that one with the Briggs engine. That was not worth what it went for.

brucec32
03-09-2004, 04:19 AM
Yes, it was. I thought if one needed it bad enough it was a decent price. I have the 16hp briggs Vanguard on my toro 44" wb and it has been great. Very torquey and reliable. Could never bog it down. I've read here elsewhere that it's a Japanese engine design rebadged as Briggs. 18hp on a 36" mower sounds pretty good to me.

I was willing to try it at the right price, but the bidding went higher than I was willing to pay.

But at about $3000 for a mower with 100 hours or so why do you say it wasn't worth it? They do go for about $5000 new even discounted, with sales tax.