PDA

View Full Version : Ouch! I can't belive it.

sildoc
03-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Went to bid a property today.
2000 sq ft total of mowing. 300 ft of edging and 3 trees in the middle of it.
This is commercial and pretty simple.
I asked what else they were looking for? Well I just wanted to see If I could get a better deal than 10 dollars a week. I about craped. I said there is no way to even come close and that if this guy giving you a 10 dollar a week cut gave up to call me.
Then I go to the paper to see what is going on.
12 dollars to mow frount and back 5 dollars extra to edge. Does this guy want to make any money or what????

I called him and asked if he could come and mow my yard (3" high since I have been a little lazy.) He came out and mowed it bagged it and hauled it off for 12 bucks. Took him over an hour and a half.
he was a little upset I could tell as I opened my garage and was working on my nice equiptment.
I asked him what days he would be willing to come buy and mow. He said fridays he will be buy. He did a decent job beings he had a ryobi mower and a crapsman trimmer.
I figure if I get really busy this year I will ask him to work for me.

tiedeman
03-07-2004, 10:00 PM
I can see a lot of conflict resulting from him.

Runner
03-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Wow! See if you can find out some of the places he does, to see if he does a decent job. You could sub him, and make plenty of money! Granted, it won't last long, because someone can only operate at a loss for so long, but still...

sildoc
03-08-2004, 01:02 AM
I had planed on subing or possibly bringing on as an assistant. I hate to say it but he worked hard and didn't say a word about being too much and raising his price. Just how you like a worker. At least I know he will take less than 10 bucks an hour to do the job. We will see.

mbricker
03-08-2004, 01:14 AM
2 years ago I ran across a guy like that. He had left a real flaky door hanger on a vacant house I was taking care of, or I never would have heard about him. I used him as a sub on about 4 jobs where I wasn't too concerned about quality, and referred him to several real cheapos I ran across. He was getting almost no business on his own, because the door hangers weren't the only flaky things about him. Last year he wasn't around, then I happened to be in my local Wallyworld Supercenter after 11:00 pm and he was working there stocking. He acted like he didn't know me. What gratitude.