PDA

View Full Version : Big Ambitions, but big problems

coif_kid
03-07-2004, 10:03 PM
All right, I'm starting a lawn service for this year, but am running into one large problem. Currently, I'm in University out of province and as such, great difficulties arise from this. Now, I've covered most of my bases; I have a partner back home who goes to the job site to do all of the estimating and talking with home owners. Afterwards he calls me up with a blue print of the yard and the services wanted by the customer. I then call up the customer explain the cost for the services and follow up by having my partner deliver the estimate to the customer in person. In terms of flyers, I have the post office doing direct mail of 5k flyers here (it's only 9.8 c per flyer mailed in Canada :) and you can target incomes, housing sizes and geographical areas) and I have two individuals who target areas with another 5 k based on when I tell them to.

The real problem I'm having is that I read customers do not want to talk to an answering machine. No one is at my home from 9 to 3 during the weekdays. When people leave messages, I call home at 3 every day and get an estimate set up. The thing some people won't leave their name and number. What can I do to solve this problem. I'm trying to obtain 20 - 30 clients this year and am quite nervous about it so far. 95% of my flyers aren't out yet though and snow is still on the ground, but I already have four clients so far. Anyway, if you could help me out with some suggestions it would be much appreciated.

-Andrew
Treegrove Lawn Services
"[I]Quality and Value Every Time[/I "

ElephantNest
03-07-2004, 10:11 PM
Buy a cell phone, and when you are not home, have the calls forwarded to the cell number.

coif_kid
03-08-2004, 06:58 AM
What type of costs would be involved though. I mean would the customer be charged a long distance fee. Plus how much does long cost on a cell phone for out of province.

ElephantNest
03-08-2004, 08:16 AM
Well, here in the states, we have providers that have nationwide coverage, all for one low price. Costs the clients nothing, unless they are out of the area, which I would assume you woulnd't service. Mine costs me about $35.00/month, I have free long distance, roll-over minutes ( 1800 so far), caller ID, call waiting, forwarding, etc. If they call your house, and get forwarded to your cell, they only get charged with the call to your house, if any charges apply at all.

Metro Lawn
03-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Before we switched to all cell phones, I used an answering service. You forward your phone to them, they answer with your business name, they take the info, and for me.. they would send me a text messege with the cusomers info. Worked great.

promower
03-09-2004, 11:05 AM
can you have your # set up so that your partner will recieve the calls.

70chevelleSS
03-09-2004, 09:10 PM
yes call forwarding

z_clark
03-10-2004, 11:01 PM
my message is something like

"thanks for calling Clark landscape, I return all messages by the end of the business day, or see me on the web at www..com"

My hang up rate is almost gone!