PDA

View Full Version : Garden tilling anyone?

upsondown
03-08-2004, 09:41 AM
Curious to know if any of you guys offer garden tilling to your customers. We started offering it last year and I've been amazed at the number of calls we've received this past week. We have 65 gardens to do this week and it's Monday morning.... I thought I was nuts for laying the money out for the attachment and had some reservations - but it will be paid for with this week's work alone - so it was a good decision. Any other guys in here do garden tilling? By the way - I ain't talkin about a walk-behind - gut pounder type of tilling.
Dave

olderthandirt
03-08-2004, 10:19 AM
I've done it before If I was close and needed some quick cash
5ft tiller on a 40hp tractor gives you some pretty gut pounding tilling and some awful loose soil lol

Mac

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
03-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Thats how I started out in the biz,tilling gardens (Hence my co. name) and still do a few

alpine692003
03-08-2004, 12:59 PM
What I offer in my service is called GARDEN BED MAINTENANCE!

I offer in that service; yard, leaf debris removal, pull out weeds, rotate/till soil!

I hope that's the same as the service you offered!

ccwmlw
03-08-2004, 01:00 PM
How do you charge on this service?

FrankenScagMachines
03-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by ccwmlw
How do you charge on this service?
I have a 36” tiller on the back of a 20hp hydrostatic Wheel Horse tractor and I have a 18” walk behind rear tine tiller, I charge $20 minimum (maybe $25 this year) and $40 an hour after that… subject to raise to $45 this year LOL. I charge the same for the little tiller as the big one because you’d only use it in small areas that won’t take too long and I don’t like to muscle it when I can ride 20 ponies at once… it can be good money if you have the equipment…as with all work, I try to price by the job not the hour if I have a good idea how long it will take (you can get more money per hour this way) but it’s often hard because you don’t know the soil type and moisture and how many passes it will take, etc. so I just say $40 an hour with a $20 minimum (or whatever the rate will be).

DLS1
03-08-2004, 01:54 PM
I am out in the country and I till with a troybuilt rear tine tiller. A tiller rents for $22 per hour with 2 hour minimum so I charge minimum $45 for first hour and take a guess how much more it will take me to finish the job past 1 hour. Jobs usually take me about 10 - 15 minutes drive time.

P&C Lawn Care
03-08-2004, 02:49 PM
I've done a few but I use a troy-built rear tine as well.

upsondown
03-08-2004, 04:28 PM
I charge by the job. I get $125-$150 flat rate. Longest one has taken yet has been 1 hour.

Runner
03-08-2004, 08:26 PM
I get around 30 to 40 for areas up to 1200 sq. ft. (40'x30'). I've never figured out an exact formula, because you never know the conditions you're going into for the till - whether it's previously worked grond, or new till (BIG difference). I just use a 12 hp John Deere tractor with a 36" tiller. It does a great job, though.

twwlawn
03-08-2004, 10:51 PM
Garden and lawn tilling is how I got started in this biz. Got a 42" tiller behind a Kubota BX2200 and a Troy-Bilt tiller for small area's. Had a BCS tiller, got rid of it, getting parts took to long.

leadarrows
03-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Well I have been doing that for about thirty years for neighbors but I never have promoted it. I need a trailer for my tractor first or I would. A trailer is next on my list. This year I hope.

iowapride
03-08-2004, 11:39 PM
I have a JD 4100 with a 48" 3 point roto-tiller. Works great, it's fast and does an excellent job. The first year I had it the tiller paid for itself. My minimum is $20 and that usually takes 10 minutes including unloading and loading the tractor on the trailer.

Darryl G
03-09-2004, 12:31 AM
I do tilling, but don't do gardens. Usually just to break up the ground for new bed installs. My old 5 HP front tine Toro has about had it...time for a new one.

I've rented a rear tine Troy-Bilt and it sure beats the front tine. The only problem was when I leaned on the handles too hard, taking the weight off the wheels, and the thing wheelied up and took off at about 30 MPH.

One thing I worry about is hitting shallow burried utilities. Technically, I think you're supposed to call "Call-Before-You-Dig" (Dig-Safe in some areas) before tilliing. Does anyone actually do this?

upsondown
03-09-2004, 06:57 AM
I absolutely will not do a garden or any other digging until Miss Utility is called and the area is marked by them - they strictly enforce that law here. Otherwise - the liability for any and all cut lines will be on our shoulders.
Dave

upsondown
03-09-2004, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by darryl gesner
[B]

I've rented a rear tine Troy-Bilt and it sure beats the front tine. The only problem was when I leaned on the handles too hard, taking the weight off the wheels, and the thing wheelied up and took off at about 30 MPH.

LOL george.... I have a troy bilt as well - and that's one thing about them - You better let it do the work - cause like you said - if you lean down on em - ya better be prepared to run fast - to catch up....:blob4:

DLS1
03-09-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by upsondown
I absolutely will not do a garden or any other digging until Miss Utility is called and the area is marked by them - they strictly enforce that law here. Otherwise - the liability for any and all cut lines will be on our shoulders.
Dave

A troybuilt tiller will only go about 18 " deep.

Darryl G
03-09-2004, 09:34 AM
Yes, most utilties are not very near the surface, but CBYD doesn't make a distinction on how deep you are digging before you have to call in.

From the CBYD web site FAQS:

Q. Who must notify Call Before You Dig?
A. Anyone using power or mechanized equipment who disturbs the earth on or below the surface must call the clearinghouse for a location request

In my experience, it's electric lines running to signs and lights, etc. that are burried shallow and the biggest problem, and CBYD isn't going to locate them anyway. They only locate the utilities coming onto a property, and some will only mark where they actually come in from the street.

To make things worse, they often mark them wrong. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many utility lines I hit when I supervised environmental drilling and excavating because they were located improperly.

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a CBYD post, but it's certainly something anyone tilling should be aware of.

dylan
03-09-2004, 09:48 AM
Ask about private lines as well. I've "found" a few cable, phone or extension cords that the homeowers have buried and forgotten about.

I do a bit of tilling with my 33hp TC33D and rotodairon. Just have to take off the rear roller and the soil is nice and loose with no surface debris, even when tilling sod.

MikesLS
03-09-2004, 10:01 AM
Yes i do tilling in spring and also thruout summer for new homes
in area.
use a Troy rear tine also.
I charge $25 min $50 hr.
I`m thinking abt. a pull behind this year.
Made up abt. 1/5 of my earnings last year.

MikesLS
03-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Dylan;
Cool tiller what is it?How much ?

upsondown
03-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Before we will till - as said earlier - Miss Utility is called and marks lines..... If they mis-mark - the liability is on them in the event of an accident. We also get the homeowner to sign a release of liability for any private lines they may have run. It's the old story of CYA . Better safe than sorry - and replacing lines isn't cheap.