PDA

View Full Version : fuels & metal box

pines
03-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Any concern for storing fuels in a black enclosed metal box on the front of my trailer? May seem like a dumb question, but I was wondering about heat buildup, fume exhaust etc.

proenterprises
03-08-2004, 11:34 AM
the only concern that comes to mind is wether or not the box is totally sealed or if thier is some kind of vent. if the box is airtight, you are going to have alot of heat and fume buildup.

especially since the box is black, its going to attract alot of sunlight and that light will lead to heat buildup in an enclosed box with gas.

if its vented, should be ok.

if not vent-wouldnt do it.

pines
03-08-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by proenterprises
the only concern that comes to mind is wether or not the box is totally sealed or if thier is some kind of vent. if the box is airtight, you are going to have alot of heat and fume buildup.

especially since the box is black, its going to attract alot of sunlight and that light will lead to heat buildup in an enclosed box with gas.

if its vented, should be ok.

if not vent-wouldnt do it.

That is what I was thinking, I may drill some holes in it as a precaution. Thanks

MOturkey
03-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Make sure a couple of the holes are at the lower edge of the box. Gasoline fumes are heavier than air, and on a still day they could, possibly, collect in the bottom of the enclosure, with possibly catastrophic results. Neill

LawnPerfect
03-08-2004, 11:47 AM
I use a black plastic box in the front of my trailer for the fuel cans.
I drilled holes in the side at the top of the box to allow the heat to escape. I also drilled holes in the side at the bottom for the fuel fumes to exit. (heat rises and fuel fumes settle to the bottom). Do that and you should be good to go.

Quality Cuts PLS
03-08-2004, 03:10 PM
Pines, Find a Pace American trailer dealer and get a set of flow-thru vents. Place them just like on the trailers , one on the top of one side, and one on the bottom of the opposite side. I use them on my ATP tool chest that I store my fuel cans and Round-Up in.
Works great, lets fresh air in, fumes out. Cost about $30.00.

bam
03-08-2004, 09:34 PM
why not have a welder fabricate a wire mesh box? if your'e looking to secure your cans, you can build a box, and also not worry about the fumes.