PDA

View Full Version : estimates....without looking????

bobbygedd
03-08-2004, 11:57 AM
well, i hate to brag, but i signed yet another client a few min ago. my competitors were $19 a cut, bagging and hauling it away too. ;) . i came in at $30 , side discharging. she signed us because, "we are very proffessional, and sound like we know what we're talking about"(if they only knew the truth). anyhow....get this, and this is what alot of customers are telling me this year: when they call another company for a quote, the other company just asks thier address, but doesn't come to look at the property! they just figure what the average size of the properties are in the area, and send a contract out, without even looking! this seems to be a very big turnoff to the customers i spoke with. do any of you guys do it like that? i guess thier motive is low price,gobble up the whole nieghborhood, mass production. not for me . you?

Lux Lawn
03-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Bobby
Every call I get for an estimate I go out and look at the property to look for things you have to work around like swing sets gates and anything else to slow you down.If you give an estimate over the phone for say $30 and you get there and they have a gate and you need a 21inch mower then it takes you twice as long for the same job for half the pay.

Metro Lawn
03-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Sounds like a good way to get burned. I could do this and may get it right part of the time. Then it happens: A customer calls with the usual 1 acre lot. You quote without seeing it and you give them the average price. Problem begins when you get there to cut it for the first time. They have a 2000 sq ft front yard and a 42,000 sq ft back yard with a 27" gate..... hmmmmmm

SIRCAESAR
03-08-2004, 12:24 PM
Hey guys, sounds similar to what happen to me.. i put out flier in my own subdivison saturday night, i wake up sunday go to church, then come back to find another guy put out his fliers, I quoted $30 - $45 for the average lawn size, 1 acre or more extra.. this guy comes behind me with fliers saying he will do it for $70 monthly, I am like that is less then $20 a week? he also has the nerve to call himself a landscape management company, i am figuring he must live in my subdivision saw one of my fliers then printed his up real quick and deliver them right after mine's..I am not going to let that stop me though, that was just an initial batch, I plan on direct mailing 5,000 full color postcards.

swim
03-08-2004, 12:25 PM
I always have to take a look at the lawn before I can give a estimate. There are to many variables for me to give an estimate over the phone. As others have said gates, trimming, hills, traffic, just to many to list. I have properties the same size where the price may vary as mush as $30 or $40 depending on the diffucility.

DUSTYCEDAR
03-08-2004, 01:16 PM
i just bid 2 jobs for other contractors for fert and they both said the property's were around 4 acres 1 came in at 8 the other 9 if i would have went with there numbers i would have lost my shirt and this only proves go and look or dont bother

kppurn
03-08-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Metro Lawn
Sounds like a good way to get burned.

I totally agree. Too many variables that need to be accounted for.

craigs lawncare
03-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
when they call another company for a quote, the other company just asks thier address, but doesn't come to look at the property! they just figure what the average size of the properties are in the area, and send a contract out, without even looking! this seems to be a very big turnoff to the customers i spoke with. do any of you guys do it like that?

NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!!! :rolleyes:

Craig

rodfather
03-08-2004, 02:50 PM
As for estimates, I always go personally. I may even go back with one of my guys a second time if I'm unsure the first time I am there

NNJLandman
03-08-2004, 03:00 PM
Sometimes I can give an lawn estimate over the phone because i know the area very very well. Most of the time i have enough time to go out and check it out, but i really usually don't need to. If i already have a customer in that area i can go by that especially if its a development, where all the properties are equal in size. So i can give estimates over the phone from time to time but when in doubt check it out.

Bigfoot
03-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Giving estimates without looking over a property is kind of like going on a blind date, you never know what to expect. :eek:

lawnman_scott
03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Too many variables. I dont evan like to venture a guess over the phone.

quiet
03-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Made that mistake once. Just once.

" . . . oh we have one of the small size lots in this subdivision."

She didn't.

sildoc
03-08-2004, 10:42 PM
I look over every property. I though have given (somewhat blind but not) bids. I have been in a particular area that has the same landscaping for all the houses, I know the hous and I know what kind of access it has in the back.
I will blanket that area with a 25 buck stop drop and roll. I do this cause I know I will be there all day have no drive time and do roughly 15-18 houses in an 8 hour period. thats with a 1/2 hour lunch or such.

specialtylc
03-09-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by lawnman_scott
Too many variables. I dont evan like to venture a guess over the phone.
How about a quote over the internet. Seems lots of guys here want us to give them bids on everything from shoebox to 31 acre properties that they dont know how to bid for them selves.