PDA

View Full Version : Lesco Reps

precisioncut
03-08-2004, 10:54 PM
For those of you who deal with Lesco..........How would you rate your rep? I just met with a rep from Lesco today. He's helping me set up a program. I would rate my rep a 9. He was willing to help/listen, answer questions, and give me his full attention. Lesco actually took me out to lunch to talk about my new program. I think that they will be a great help to me and my business.

Runner
03-08-2004, 11:16 PM
We have two guys that work at our store, (Kevin and Tim), and these guys are phenomenal. As knowledgable as can be, but that's not even the half of it. They are so helpful in so many ways, and go well out of their way to be that way. I DO have to say, their friendliness and great sense of humor really plays a big part in making the visits enjoyable. I wish there was a way, (that I knew of) that I could contact corporate, and tell them just how much these guys are appreciated, not just by me, but I've heard the same thing out of SEVERAL different lco's in the area. These are the kind of guys, that by now, (yes, I realize it's just their job), I would go out of my way to help, and do it happily, if I was ever asked.

DUSTYCEDAR
03-08-2004, 11:51 PM
my local store has had problems to say the least.
when they opened i got used to the reps and started to buy more off them them 1 got fired and the other left?
then 2 new guys came finally got used to them they helped me out a lot and went out of there way to help me so i was setting up my whole program to use there products and once again they were fired last week. i go in and see 2 new guys so all the time and effort was a waste of my time.
i don't know what the problem is but i have had enough with this crap and will not go back.

hole in one lco
03-09-2004, 12:08 AM
my guys are the best . They take every thing form mowers to spark plug out to my truck. I needed a end for my blower but they didn't have a part number for it and they gave it to me for nothing.

They will come out to the job site to diagnose pest or to tell you what you can do to better the lawn. I give them a 10

Ric
03-09-2004, 12:29 AM
In january I gave my Lesco Reps a yearly list of what I would be buying and ask for a price bid. So Far I have called them Um-teen times and they still have not given me a price quote. OH WELL I guess they don't want my 5 figures of business this year again.

Both my reps are real nice guys and although one is new he tries to be helpful. The other has been with Lesco for a while and has some knowledge. However he tells me his boss has to approve the price quote.

I like Lesco products they are good and the location is great. However if they don't get me a price quote very soon I will go with my old suppliers. BTW I am a cash customer, no charge accounts.

With other fertilizer companies hurting for profit and closing distribution centers I can not understand Lesco's lack of response.

Hello Steve

mtdman
03-09-2004, 01:41 AM
I dislike the Lesco here near me, and I do believe a great deal of that has to do with the reps. I make every effort to stay away.

NAT
03-09-2004, 06:53 AM
the lesco around is to far and when you deal with them, they are .moody.started with jdlandscapes the rep seems ok.

heybruck34
03-09-2004, 07:58 AM
Mike and Spencer here in Charlotte (Pineville store) are great. I'm new to the whole fertilizing thing but they have helped educate me in a short period of time.

I hear Lesco just opened a second store in Matthews. Need to get over there and check it out.

TSM
03-09-2004, 10:30 AM
heres my opinion....

seems to me if you are fairly new in the business then lesco will do all the things mentioned here. Go out of their way to serve you. They look at you and see $$$ (dollar signs). They sell you product at a higher cost, sometimes sell you product that you really dont need and...when you are not around...tell others what a PITA you are!

If you are a more seasoned business and you really dont need (or want) their advice only want to buy their product..first, you'll get a better price, second, you'll get little service. I think they figure since you buy much more product but at a lower price than the newer company that you are not as profitable to them. I really dont get it!

of course, these are MY opinions, and I have dealt with 3 lesco service centers.

AND, if you have a service center that does repair work (mechanic) you will wait a long long time and pay way way to much for parts. And you can expect to bring that piece of equipment back in fairly soon for 'tweaking'.

not a lesco fan

DUSTYCEDAR
03-09-2004, 10:48 AM
i also love the way they do there price structure like Chinese math if i ever saw it
i can buy pallets of stuff for 1 price and if i need a few bags to finish i pay the per bag price what a joke, i spend thousands in there store. well not any more.

James Cormier
03-09-2004, 11:10 AM
TSM, where are you in Ma, do we know each other? I am a old....Old foxer from back in the 80's, before Trugreed took over.

Lesco is so up and down on prices they make my head spin, and you gotta check your statements cause sometimes they dont match the bills you signed at the store.

Carovail, and valley green are good companies to deal with, if you can do direct ship.

TSM
03-09-2004, 12:06 PM
hello Jim, yes you do know me. I dont use my real identity here (i just have more fun being anonomus)

LOL, got ya thinking? my user name here TSM might give you an idea. Just please help me stay unknown, ok?

I talked with John, the rep you recommend to me from carovail, I decided to continue to deal with the guy i've been dealing with the last few seasons. Nothing against John, but when I met his boss (Charlie i think is his name) he kinda turned me off a little. I've got all their stuff on file, maybe later in the season I'll give them a try.

Lux Lawn
03-09-2004, 12:20 PM
The giys I deal with are great they will answer all of your questions and help you with everything from mower problems to fertilizer problems.Last year when my mower went down I took it in and they fixed it on the spot.As far as the fertilizer goes when its time for the next step and I go in for a pick up they tell me all of my options of what to get and they really take there time.

James Cormier
03-09-2004, 02:12 PM
I thought so....you dog, your real identity is safe with me, I finally got my Malcap membership, hopefully we meet in person some day at a malcap meeting or something.

I havent been in the other site cause I got new computers at home and in the office so I gottta get password again and get back in there.

I seem to ruffle some feathers here at lawn site so I enjoy it a little more.

colonel landscaping
03-09-2004, 05:41 PM
The lesco Reps in my area ... id say i give them an 11 outta 10. They are always bending over backwards to help me out.

lx665
03-09-2004, 06:22 PM
The Lesco in Richmond is outstanding. They have been very helpful. Their prices are fair. They are always willing to take time to answer my questions. Lesco will get my business.

John

DUSTYCEDAR
03-09-2004, 07:02 PM
glad someone is happy with there service

Ric
03-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Dusty

I am not unhappy with their products and service as I am with the pricing. I would like to do business with Lesco. I am not sure they want to do business with me. I called again today and got the same answer. "My boss has not gotten back to me yet about your price bid."

DUSTYCEDAR
03-09-2004, 07:42 PM
i have had the same problem in pricing it seemes to me if you dont mind paying more than i can get it elsewhere u r fine
i like there products but cant stand the fact they fire the help and leave u hanging to start all over breaking in the new guys then they get fired

SherrillsfordLS
03-09-2004, 08:18 PM
I'm new to the application side of lawn care and my two Lesco Reps John & Bryan have been very helpful to me. They take the time to educate me on what chemicals and fertilizers to use to take care of the problem. I don't like the way they do there pricing having to ask them to look it up all the time. I really like Lesco's new web page to look up products, pricing and inventory at their service centers.

precisioncut
03-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Well maybe it's because I'm new to the fertilizing aspect of things but the guy I have met won me over. I hope it stays that way. I will continue to do business with anyone as long as they can keep me satisfied.

mtdman
03-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by mtdman
I dislike the Lesco here near me, and I do believe a great deal of that has to do with the reps. I make every effort to stay away.

After I went and said this, I ended up going into Lesco today with some questions. The Rep was very knowledgeable and answered all my questions, put me onto a few tips and ideas I hadn't thought of. I guess I have to take it back.

:D

Ric
03-10-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by mtdman
After I went and said this, I ended up going into Lesco today with some questions. The Rep was very knowledgeable and answered all my questions, put me onto a few tips and ideas I hadn't thought of. I guess I have to take it back.

Mtdman

Maybe I bad mouth lesco when I didn't mean too. I am college trained and have been in the bus for many years. Therefore I look at suppliers different than others

1. If you are new in the business, 5 years of less. Then Lesco is the place for you to buy your chemicals. They know what is best for your area. They hear things from other LCO's and can pass it on to you. Yes you will pay a little more for this service, however it should be worth it.

2. Once you get to a certain size and experience other suppliers are better priced and can save you money but lack the service aspect.

3. Now if you get really big as in a national company. Then Lesco is the place to buy once again.

Now my problem with Lesco is that I am not number 3 but a little more than number 2 and want number 3 type pricing.

mtdman
03-10-2004, 12:18 AM
I don't think they are the best around, but the rep there today really helped me. More often than not, I suppose, they are very knowledgeable and willing to help. I don't buy a lot of stuff there as it is. Just thought I'd add to my original remark seeing as how I had some good advice/help today.

Enviro Green
03-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Shew, you mean people actually work in those buildlings?

I won't share. It isn't nice.

green with envy
03-10-2004, 10:07 AM
I agree with Ground control. Kevin and Tim at the Flint are great!
I still have not decided if I will be buying from them this year but the prices they gave me put them in the running. I am still waiting for numbers from John Deere Landscapes then it's time to make a decision.

kootoomootoo
03-10-2004, 11:16 AM
The reps are cool. The lack of fertilizer product availability and choice stinks.

I find the prill size of lesco fert too big?
what do you guys think? I have changed to a different supplier with smaller prill size.

thfireman
03-11-2004, 02:34 AM
I had a great rep untill recently. They moved him to a new store to work. We worked togather good and we actually chased a guy down that was beating on a woman. So we had a strong bond and now he is history. Well Maybe I can get to know the new folks and I am sure they will be just as helpful.

heybruck34
03-11-2004, 08:08 AM
Fireman- I frequent the Pineville Lesco- maybe I'll run into you there sometime.

I assume you're talking about staff that was transferred to the new Matthews store.

Ric
03-11-2004, 08:52 AM
I always like to Tell like it is.

OK MY LESCO GUYS CAME THOUGH. $0.05 cheaper than my current supplier on the one granular fertilizer product that I will use the most of. 12-2-14 70% slow release. I am a happy camper. The truth is I took this blend to other manufactures in the past and had it Custom blended. I would change the blend slightly year to year depending on which manufacture made it. It ended up as a 13-3-13. Now I will have to check the label to be sure I am buying the same value. However as long as it is in the ball park we can play ball.

Lesco did not match other prices of Spray Products which I use more of than Granules. However it is a start. It is in fact the spray products I would like to buy from Lesco also. This would limit my running out of material between delivery dates and cut my inventory expense. After all This is a business and cost factors are very important.

hole in one lco
03-11-2004, 10:11 AM
(Ill give you my theory on life)
every body is looking for incentive so give it to them. I gave my lesco guy a 6 pack of beer and iv been gods gift to man ever sines.
Next time you put out little more garbage for the garbageman take him a beer and see if your cans are on your tree lawn every time form then on. We are all looking for a little personal rec ignition right. That old lady that gives you a glass of water when its 90 out gets a little more of you time right. love is good but a tip is better

kootoomootoo
03-11-2004, 02:58 PM
I buy my rental co donuts now and then.
Works wonders!

mikesturf
03-13-2004, 10:20 AM
Just got my applicators lisence a few months ago and have been to Lesco and another local fert company. The local fert company gave me a large catalog that had all their products and prices. The prices showed where you would get a discount if you bought a certain amount-which is fine. However, with Lesco, I sometimes feel like I'm at a car dealer. He gave me a verbal quote for gypsum of $8.00 per 40 pound bag. Go in a month later, is $7.00 per bag. Go to Home Depot its $5.95 per bag. I feel gyspum is gypsum, however fertilizer quality is something totally different. I love the knowledge and service, but I always get the feeling that I'm getting ripped off and not getting the best price. Dimension 19-0-6 30%ppscu $13.40/50 lb, Momentum 21-3-21 w/f $26.20/50 lb.

grassguy_
03-13-2004, 01:59 PM
I used to buy plenty from them before but their pricing strategies have gone to pricing them out of consideration as of late. The reps here have been ok but feel at times they don't want your business when some smaller "mom and pop" competitors can give better prices and they'll just come in to match the price at the last minute to try and get my business. I just let them know as my business continues to grow, my money keeps going elsewhere. I know a number of poeple that are friends that work for them and they understand my position, and they're great people too. Its just everyone has to compete for business,I know I have to, they're no different.

Island Lawn
03-14-2004, 10:06 AM
Lot's of turnover at my Lesco.
Rep quality seems to go down with each new body.

I will be visiting JDL very soon...

Hamons
03-14-2004, 11:14 AM
I use Lesco like I use Quiktrip. There when I need something fast. But... I get my main order each year from other sources.

Sean at the Olathe Lesco knows his stuff and is always helpful.

Tscape
03-14-2004, 11:28 AM
I work at a local golf practice facility about 4 miles from my local Lesco branch. The other day I was pulling my hair out because the owner wanted the front lawn painted green (yeah that's right). I also operate my company and spent $12k with them on product last year. They have been dangling the Perma-green in front of me too, but their leasing co. already turned me down on financing. Anyway, I really needed them to shoot me over 2 gallons of turf paint, delivered that is. "It doesn't look good, MIke we're really busy over here." "Well how 'bout tomorrow?" I ask. "That doesn't look good either. Tom's in meetings all day and I will be alone here." OK, I have to go get it myself. So I go over there and these 2 reps are leaning against the counter BS'ing with each other! "Hi, Mike, let me get you that turf paint." OK, I think Hmmm, busy, eh? but get back to the business at hand. I also wondered if I should add an iron product to the paint as long as I am making an application, and the turf is starting to awake. "That will only work if your turf is actively growing," Tom says. No **** sherlock! Do you think I don't know that? Anyway I was just thinking out loud, and I decided against it, because I was painting it green anyway (however dumb that is-not my idea). Thanks for the expert advise anyway. I decided to get only 1 gallon and see if I could stretch it. Well after 3 hours with a back pack sprayer I run out with only 3/4 of the lawn painted. I go back the next day to pick up another gallon at 9:30 am and I'll be damned if both guys aren't leaning against the counter BS'ing with themselves. Meetings all day, huh? Add that to the fact that neither rep has taken me up on the offer to come and check out the site in person and hit a free bucket of balls while they're there, and I think they really don't give a damn about me or what I do. I bought a Z-spray direct from the manufacturer, so they can take their Perma-green ride-on and stick it. I also opened an account with UHS and last year's $12k will be more like $20k and I'll buy from UHS. I am sure they don't have a clue as to why they won't be seeing me, but it isn't my job to tell them either. See ya Boys!