PDA

View Full Version : does pavers last longer than concrete

draftlawncare
03-08-2004, 11:22 PM
I am building a sidewalk for my mother and the guy at lowes was not much help today. Does anybody know if a sidewalk made of pavers will last as long as a concrete sidewalk ? Also what kind of base do you need for the pavers... sand or gravel how deep does it have to be, the guy at lowes said 3 inches that seemed thin to me.......... if somone could help that would be great because i want this done right the first time if we decide to go with pavers ......... btw the side walk will be 3 ft x 47 ft

thanks JD

draftlawncare
03-08-2004, 11:26 PM
( does ) now thats a way to start a thread my bad

Randy Scott
03-09-2004, 12:42 AM
Go to www.unilock.com and go to the contractors section and click on paver installation. It will show you how to do it, and do it right. The putz at Lowe's doesn't know crappola.

Pavers ARE concrete anyways. When done properly, they will last as long as anything else. Also, a sidewalk should be at least 4 1/2 feet wide or wider. Two people need to pass side by side comfortably. I get a kick out of the concrete guys who put this ******ed narrow sidewalk in on a property. That's the difference between a landscape designer that knows right from wrong, and a driveway guy who thinks he knows what's right.

Tim Canavan
03-09-2004, 09:28 AM
Good post Randy, couldn't have said it better.
Another great thing about pavers is that if one breaks or cracks, you only have to replace that one, not a whole section of concrete. Besides, have you ever heard anyone say "nice concrete"?

dougaustreim
03-09-2004, 09:51 AM
A good quality paver is made of denser concrete that pured in place therefore will last much longer.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping

mike48114
03-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Unilock Pavers are 4+ times as dense as the concrete in a driveway or even a street. They last forever. They might fade a bit, but the product will last forever!

dougaustreim
03-09-2004, 07:14 PM
One should also compare suppliers or pavers. We compared some from one of the discount chains to the Borgert pavers that we use. Both pavers were the exact dimensions, but our weighed 4 oz each more than theirs. No wonder they can put 540 on a pallet and still not weigh as much as the 440 on our pallets.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping

draftlawncare
03-09-2004, 07:43 PM
thanks everybody for your replys i have chosen to go with the pavers . RAndy thats site has alot of info thank who knows i do this walk, get the hang of it and and it to my services

Jackman
03-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Draft give Unilok a call they have a free CD and catalog with lots of installation instructions. I did my first walk and a 20X40 driveway the CD was a big help.
Tim Canavan I like that "nice concrete" I am just getting into the Unilocks and will use your line in my sales pitch.