PDA

View Full Version : trailer confusion

pines
03-09-2004, 05:31 AM
When I bought my house a few years ago the guy I bought it from threw in a trailer that he had made in his welding shop. It is made like a tank, has wooden sides all the way around that can be removed, has a hand crank/pump that allows it to dump, and has two nice size tool boxes on the front. It is rather small at around 51" wide (can handle a 48" wb) and 7'-8' long in the bed. The problem is, is that it is not road ready and to do so would cost $1800.00. (axle for brakes, fenders, lights etc.) The guy doing the work suggested that I look at buying a new dump trailer which would be 7'x 10' with electric lift. The cost there would be $3800.00. Not quite sure what to do, any suggestions.
Do any of you use a dump trailer to haul your mowers?

grass_cuttin_fool
03-09-2004, 07:17 AM
I havent looked at the trailer or the condition of the axle, but do you need brakes on an 8 foot trailer.Was wondering if it is a law in maryland, or if you just wanted brakes on it. Dont get me wrong i think brakes on a trailer are nice, i dont have them on mine and it is ruff at times when people pull out in front of me and i need all the brake power i can get

P&C Lawn Care
03-09-2004, 07:25 AM
I think if it is a dump trailer you should have brakes. That could be a lot of weight to slow down with only the truck brakes. There is always some @$$hole who will pull out in front of you or go screaming by and then turn in front of you. I would sell it and use that money to buy what you want or need.

Haworths
03-09-2004, 08:30 AM
I would get the new dump trailer. If you want a warranty and you don't have to worry about the trailer going down. On the brake issue if you have over 3000pds my state (MA) requires trailer brakes. Wouldn't want to get stopped by DOT and be over without brakes. $$$$

pines
03-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Haworths
I would get the new dump trailer. If you want a warranty and you don't have to worry about the trailer going down. On the brake issue if you have over 3000pds my state (MA) requires trailer brakes. Wouldn't want to get stopped by DOT and be over without brakes. $$$$

Thanks for replying. I was wondering if you or anyone you knew used a dump trailer as "their trailer" to haul equipment and materials etc. as opposed to a flat trailer. Thanks again

fivestarlawnken
03-09-2004, 10:45 PM
looks like would go with the dump trailer.

clcare
03-09-2004, 10:51 PM
I use a dump trailer for every thing but it is a pain in the ass the ramps are heavy and the deck is to high you will high side some mowers when loading them and brakes are a must.

terracare
03-09-2004, 10:54 PM
what size truck do you have?

Todd