PDA

View Full Version : dump trailer

pines
03-09-2004, 10:05 AM
Has anyone ever used a 10 or 12 foot dump trailer as their main or only trailer. If so, what are the downsides and upsides. Thanks

Old Red
03-09-2004, 10:40 AM
Main trailer to do what? I've only a 12' dump trailer. It'll carry my compact tractor and loader if I rest the loader on the front wall. When I've wanted to take the york rake too it goes in the back of the pickup. This year I'm buying an equipment trailer. If you're talking about using the trailer to carry mowers, etc. I suppose you could but I've no experience with that.

kdmaint
03-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Yes Iuse a dump for most of my work 7-14 12000 gvw it workes ok 2nd trailer i bought 1st one was a lemon 6-10 10000 gvw the only problem is loading wb mowers use 8 ft ramps because of height of trialer but other wise works great i sold my dmp trk and replaced wiyh trailer and insurance is also better saving but was a good invest ment if you are thinking of buy one really reasearch alot of good and bad trailers out thier

DJL
03-10-2004, 12:05 PM
We have a 14' dump trailer. We do NOT use it as our everyday trailer for a few reasons. It has ramps on it without a grate so getting lawn equipment on/off is a pain. The trailer sites higher than utility/equipment trailers so this is a bit of a hassle also. Since the sides are solid and higher there is really only convenient access to it at the rear. It is heavier than the utility trailer and puts more wear/tear on the truck (IMO). It is wider than the utility trailer so manuevability is an issue.

Bottom line, I've only used it once in a bind when we had a problem with our utility trailer. Wouldn't want to do it on a consistant basis.

mownlawns
03-22-2004, 01:59 AM
I use a 12' Bri-Mar low-profile dump with expanded metal gate that will function both as a loading gate for equipment and as a dump gate when released at the bottom. Works great. If you have problems with clearance into the trailer with some equipment, simply raise the bed a little. I have no complaints at all with this trailer.