PDA

View Full Version : Speedzone and wild onions?

GarPA
03-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Went to a local equip dealer hoopla last week and the rep from Speedzone was there.

Ester based yes, sticker might help, on the surface fast kill so they say...I dont care about "appearances"...I just want the darn wild onions GONE...yes I know they are one persistent weed...damn bulbs

we sub out most of our larger chem apps but the smaller stuff we take care of. I am by no means an expert on chem's.

Simple ?..what is the most effective (not necessarily fastest on the surface) product that you like for wild onion, garlic?
I cant have a long or persistent soil residue becauase these beds will be full of annuals in May.

Best bang for the $ also....and I'd rather not have to mess with adding a sticker if I dont have to...thanks for your advice

Avery
03-09-2004, 08:12 PM
We have lots of wild onions here. This year I am going to take the advice of my chem. rep. and try a product called Monument. According to him to get the best results on onions you put it out twice spaced several weeks apart at half the listed rate. I have not used this product before so I cannot tell you what the cost will be. Probably in line with Speed Zone.

GarPA
03-09-2004, 09:03 PM
my Agway dealer gave me a price of 57.00/gal for SZone..but when I walked past the shelf, the retail price for Harry Homeowner was also 57.00...is this in the "reasonable" price range? (my lesco store is not convenient)

GarPA
03-10-2004, 05:32 AM
sill waiting on some input on if the price of 57.00/gal is reasonable??

Forever Green Lawn
03-10-2004, 08:27 AM
I pay $55.00/Gal for it. I have never used it on wild onions, so I can't be any help there.
Scott

tremor
03-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Carfentrazone makes Speedzone faster. But it's a contact herbicide. I have no first hand observations to share with it's performance on Onions. But in theory, a contact will be a poor selection on a weed with extensive underground parts such as tubers & bulbs.

2,4-d ester kicks butt on Wild Garlic/Onion.

vegomatic40
03-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Turflon Ester. No more goofing around. Add it to a 3way product and wild garlic/onions days are numbered. Minimum rates have always worked well for me and yes, a spreader/sticker may be needed.

GreenKind
03-20-2004, 11:22 PM
have you tried millenium ultra? you should check it out