PDA

View Full Version : mulch price?

Dodgemania
03-09-2004, 08:10 PM
How do I figure a mulch job? A ladys entire front house around 40' long by 5' wide. Equal 200 sq. feet. How do I convert into yard. I know the average going rate installed is 60 a yd. Give or take depending on type of mulch. They dump the mulch in my trailer by the yard so I figure it would be easier for bid if I knew cubic yards a customer had. I'm green as you can tell but the help would be appreciated!

riches139
03-09-2004, 08:18 PM
Try this.http://www.gardenplace.com/content/calculator/mulch_calc.html:drinkup:

lawnkid
03-09-2004, 08:31 PM
1 yard dry at 2" covers 144 sq. ft
1 yard dry at 3" covers 108 sq ft.
1 yard dry at 4" covers 81 sq. ft.

Make sure to add an additional yard just to be on the safe side.

Dodgemania
03-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Lawnkid is this what you think, or is this industry standard. Point blank where did you get this information, and how do you know the information is correct, is it by you testing this or is this what everybody goes by.

D Felix
03-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Does it help if you think about how much a cubic yard actually is?

I'm amazed that people have to ask these questions, but I do believe it. They must be LA's.:D

A cubic yard is 3'x3'x3'. What's that equal?

27 cubic feet sound right?

So if you had an area that is 27 square feet, you could cover that with one cubic yard of mulch at a foot deep. 54 square feet could be covered by a cubic yard at 6" deep. See how it works?

It's not "industry standard", or what Lawnkid thinks. It's simple math.

Dan

Strawbridge Lawn
03-10-2004, 07:52 AM
I use this site quite a bit
http://www.atstecks.com/mulch.htm

charlies
03-10-2004, 02:11 PM
i have seen all over the place, here, on other sites, and quoted directly from the local mulch shops price sheet "1 cubic yard covers 100 sq. feet 2-3 inches deep" i take this to be one of the the industry standards. there is definitely one other popular method out there, and maybe another.

based on several mulching jobs that i have followed closely in the past month, i have discovered that we use 1 cubic yard for 125 sq. ft with a small fudge factor worked in. so i divide total square footage of beds by 125 instead of 100 to get cubic yards, and it works. i have actually gone out to a few jobs after completed and measured the depth. it was always 2-3 inches deep.

gpriddy
03-10-2004, 03:26 PM
As a former math teacher, I am amazed at people don't seem to get the simplest things.

Take that back, by now I will stop being amazed at people who don't get the simplest things.

AAAHHHH, now I feel better.

Gary

Scraper
03-10-2004, 03:38 PM
What I don't understand is why so many people remulch beds at 2-3", more so at the 3" rate than 2". At that rate you are going to need to remove mulch in a couple years time. I usually go with 1-1.5", this way by next season there is no buildup of nondecompsoed mulch to deal with.

charlies
03-10-2004, 04:42 PM
i make as much money on the job as i can. if my client wants to pay me to take up some mulch, and wants all new mulch, rather than paying less than half for a top coating then that is what we are going to do.

on the other hand, if i quote him a price for 7 yards, and only use 6 i am going to charge him for 6. i am not dishonest, but i do prefer to put in all new mulch, and that's what i try to sell.

gary, you are not speaking at a former math teachers convention. there is no need to be nasty. ridiculing people who are asking questions and who are involved in collaborative learning cannot be beneficial to the learning process. i would say that whatever school system got rid of you is better off.

LHlandscaping
03-10-2004, 08:30 PM
Get a yard and a half that should allow you to spread it 2 inches deep. It should only take you about an hour to spread it out depending on the terrain. Hope this helps.

gpriddy
03-11-2004, 08:56 AM
Charlies...

When your right, I guess your right...I should have kept my thoughts to myself, being that they weren't that productive. it's hard to keep myself in check sometimes.

As far as your comment about my abilities as a teaching ; you have no knowledge, so don't comment.

D Felix
03-13-2004, 12:39 AM
I'll back up Gary on this one... No need for personal attacks. From what he said, you might as well attack me for the statements that I made previously too.:angry:

My wife is a middle school teacher, so I have some understanding of what Gary is talking about. Anymore kids expect to be spoonfed information, and not have to learn the concepts behind where that information came from. I believe this is what is frustrating to people such as Gary and I when someone asks about how you figure a volume based on area, all the while knowing what the depth should be. In this case, the original poster stated that he had an area 200 square feet, then questioned the (correct) numbers given to him by another poster.

In this day and age, it would be nice if people would think through things a little before asking. It certainly would save a lot of bandwidth on this and the landscaping forums. Just since I registered here in January, I've lost count of the number of people that have asked about figuring yardage based on square footage.

I dunno, maybe I'm a fast learner when it comes to this stuff, but it's a pretty basic concept to me. I'm not trying to take away anything from the original poster here by any means, so don't jump me for that. I'm just trying to say that people need to think a little bit before opening their mouths (in this case turning on their computers).

I guess I should have kept these comments to myself too, but you have/had no right to attack Gary on this, based on his two lines of post. I understand his frustration, I feel it too. I hear it too, every night when my wife comes home. In my NOT so humble opinion, public school teachers are much too underpaid and have way too much expected of them for what they are paid and given supplies for. Don't make assumptions (you do know what happens when you ASSume, right?), 'till you know the whole story...

I would like to hear from the original poster whether or not he understands how to calculate the amount of mulch needed...

This has just been my $1.02 worth of opinion, take it or leave it.

Dan

charlies
03-13-2004, 12:02 PM
i think you're wrong Dan. to answer someones questions by stating that you are amazed how people can't grasp simple concepts is not helping.

Although you and Gary may have all the answers, others around here do not. can't you just share your wisdom rather than ridiculing the questioner, or demanding that they perform a search? i am sure that when someone asks a question that has been asked 1000 times before, or a question that you find to be a simple query, they are not intending to irritate you or waste your time. if you don't feel like answering the question because its been asked too many times or it is too basic for you then don't answer it. someone else will.

tedk
03-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Quit your whining Charlies. Guys like Dan, Gary, and myself are here to talk shop like professionals. We don't have time to waste on silly questions.

charlies
03-13-2004, 12:44 PM
well, that is certainly the way you all come across. sorry about that. i know i will try not to ask any questions that you all might not approve of. (by the way, there is a questions i posted on the landscape forum about boxwoods you might want to examine.)

but i digress. this has nothing to do with Dodgemania's question. sorry.

Dodgemania
03-13-2004, 05:51 PM
It sounds like alot of you are disgruntled with my question. Well who really gives a s--- if you like it or not. I would say next time if you come upon a stupid question of mine in the future don't waste my time for reading your response and by all means Dan, Gary, and tedk don't waste your time for writing the response. If your going to have a response like that give it to somebody else who cares. You see I'm a full-time electrician doing lawn biz on the side so no don't have all the questions. Thanks for the support charlies I forgot where dealing with pro's here. I'll be more careful next time.

Dodgemania
03-13-2004, 06:03 PM
I'm trying to figure out how a stupid question wastes peoples time when you don't have to send a response. If you had work to do you would be doing it instead of being on the computer. I think we need a separate forum for "j---a--".

D Felix
03-14-2004, 09:34 PM
You see, I did attempt to answer the question. I tried to help DM understand the concept of how to calculate the quantity of mulch. While I did express disbelief, my intent was not to "ridicule". And my disbelief was not the only thing in that post. Re-read my original post.

My last reply was not intended to take away anything from DM's original post. I clearly stated that. My problem was with charlies jumping on Gary about his teaching ability.

Now, to address Dodgemania directly: Yes, you are dealing with professionals IN THE INDUSTRY. That means we make our living SOLELY by what we do. We do NOT do electrician work part time on the side. We do NOT do framing work on the side. Etc, etc, etc. Get the idea? While I have no problem with you starting a business in this industry, and I do not know you personally or what you do and what your quality is like, there are a lot of people like you (working part time in the industry) who bring the rest of us down. If you are going to work part time, charge a fair price. The rest of us have to eat too. Don't claim to know something you don't. That gives everyone else a bad name when your client finds out the truth. Feel free to ask questions here, but if you have time, use the search feature first. Chances are, if you are starting out, that the questions you have, have already been asked and answered...

Now to answer your original question (which I already have, BTW), the numbers that Lawnkid gave are correct....

Dan

Dodgemania
03-14-2004, 09:58 PM
I appreciate the response that's what i was looking for first. Sorry didn't mean to be an ******* all though that side of me flairs up from time to time. I understand that the part-timers take away from buisness but I believe that alot of the part-timers eventuall want to be in your shoes working full-time. Just the two part-time years I've been doing this I realize that this a extremely competitive field, just like alot of other trades. When asking lawn kid about figures I read his profile and he's a teenager, not taking anything away from that but if I took alot of advice from the majority of teenagers I would be in bad shape. Just trying to confirm what he said with facts. Now if a 40 year old man with 20 years in the trade I would not question his response.

Dodgemania
03-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Alot of people that are new to the industry on these forums, and probably alot of stupid questions being asked, probably by me daily but it does get to be annoying when alot of the season veterans get upset by the questions. IF YOUR UPSET BY THE QUESTIONS BEING ASKED DON'T RESPOND! There's plenty of forum to go around for everybody!

CrewCutEnterprises
03-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Similar Question.

Thought it would fit here.
Anyone.. Pea Gravel driveway 40 x 20.
how many yards do i need. What formula do u use

topsoil 250 x 200 foot lot. 2 inch deep
fomula??

Im not stupid. just Math doesnt come easy to me. Please explain someone who understands . thank you in advance

Dodgemania
03-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Watch out might get your head bit off in here!

olderthandirt
03-16-2004, 01:20 AM
gravel 12 yds , topsoil 160 yds, no formula 29 yrs of doing it and don't waste your money trying to cover the lot with top soil work the dirt you have. The lawn will be better growing in native soil and you can sell the top-soil for beds.

Mac

gpriddy
03-16-2004, 08:54 AM
actual length in feet X actual width in feet X desired depth in feet = required cubic feet

Desired depth in feet = desired depth in inches / 12

required cubic feet / 27 = required cubic yards

Scraper
03-16-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Dodgemania
Alot of people that are new to the industry on these forums, and probably alot of stupid questions being asked, probably by me daily but it does get to be annoying when alot of the season veterans get upset by the questions. IF YOUR UPSET BY THE QUESTIONS BEING ASKED DON'T RESPOND! There's plenty of forum to go around for everybody!

Ohhhhh....quit your crying. :cry: You haven't been here long enough.

GarPA
03-16-2004, 10:20 AM
Scraper...I;m with you on only adding 1 to 1.5 inches to previously mulched properties....makes me nuts when I see companies piling unnecesary mulch in beds just to jack up their revenue. Highly unprofessional imho.

Most property's need only a "refreshment" of mulch, not a total reinstall

charlies
03-16-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Scraper
Ohhhhh....quit your crying. :cry: You haven't been here long enough.

right, besides the crying space is already taken up by the long standing members who whine like little girls about being forced to read through questions that are frequently asked.

Cleatus
03-16-2004, 01:42 PM
lol

they are not forced to read anything. they read it because they want to, nobody forced their fat little fingers to click on the thread.

tedk
03-16-2004, 02:03 PM
Charlies,

I thought I told you quit whining. Guys like Dan, Gary, Scraper, Chevyman and myself don't want to hear your dumb questions. Go to newbiescrublowballerlawns.com or something and waste their time with your silly questions.

NCSULandscaper
03-16-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by tedk
Charlies,

I thought I told you quit whining. Guys like Dan, Gary, Scraper, Chevyman and myself don't want to hear your dumb questions. Go to newbiescrublowballerlawns.com or something and waste their time with your silly questions.

So what makes you any better than the rest of the people on here, thats what these forums are for helping people. If YOU dont like it then you can go somewhere else. Yea questions get repeated all the time, just overlook them if you dont want to add anything constuctive.

Scraper
03-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by tedk
Charlies,

Thanks Ted...as for Charlies...I ignore comments from people that have over 200 posts in a months time. Nine times out of ten 99% of those posts are jibberish/useless crap. LOL Sometimes people just like to hear/see themselves talk.

Scraper
03-16-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by NCSULandscaper
Yea questions get repeated all the time, just overlook them if you dont want to add anything constuctive.

It's one thing when a question gets repeated, but a whole other thing when the same question has been asked three times on the same page. Everyone thinks they'll get a better response by starting a new thread instead of reading past posts and bringing an older thread to life that relates to their issue. That's why this place is such a mess and needs a new subforum weekly.

NCSULandscaper
03-16-2004, 02:27 PM
It's one thing when a question gets repeated, but a whole other thing when the same question has been asked three times on the same page. Everyone thinks they'll get a better response by starting a new thread instead of reading past posts and bringing an older thread to life that relates to their issue. That's why this place is such a mess and needs a new subforum weekly.

Well i do have to agree with you on that one.

charlies
03-16-2004, 03:47 PM
It's one thing when a question gets repeated, but a whole other thing when the same question has been asked three times on the same page.

yet you keep reading and replying to that same thread. hmmm...

charlies
03-16-2004, 03:50 PM
you know what is really amusing?

no one here did this to me, but i've seen it happen before:

people are disagreeing as we are, and then one of the participants reads the others profile or signature and criticizes or makes makes fun of something from there. i guess they just ran out of relevant things to say. lol

GarPA
03-16-2004, 04:35 PM
we can get cranky at times here now cant we..

after being a member here for a few years I'm convinced that women are not the only ones in need of a tampon on a regular basis...

Cleatus
03-16-2004, 04:35 PM
Mac, what if the lot is rocky?

D Felix
03-16-2004, 04:40 PM
Plant your seed in the native soil. Rockhound/condition the soil to remove the rocks at the surface. The grass will grow. Trust me.

We had to see a lawyer (long story, don't ask!) about a similiar lawn last year... It will grow. It's not "common sense", as our client claimed, that the grass won't...

Dan

olderthandirt
03-16-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Cleatus
Mac, what if the lot is rocky?

Remove the rocks, Harly Rake or Rock hound, takes care of that problem.

Mac

Dodgemania
03-16-2004, 10:23 PM
Nobody's crying just enjoying listening to a bunch of woman cry about repeated questions being asked. Nobody cares if you get angered by this.

Scraper
03-17-2004, 09:38 AM
nobody cares if you cry foul....LOL

charlies
03-28-2004, 02:38 PM
hi guys, what's up?

cutnitclose
03-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Boy I hate I missed this one........ Gary, Dan, and Ted would have all hated me, I'm a newbie, part time "trying to keep my family fed until I can go full time" and ask a lot repeat questions, and to think I even have that thing on the wall that says " I is one of dem dar ed-eduuccatedd idiots".. Sorry my my ssttuturing kicked in... and to think I thought the problem with kids was the teacher's union.. Imagine that.. Maybe all of us Dumb Newbies should contact the sponsors to let them know we are leaving for a new site, because we are not as good as all the full timers.. Ever think maybe, just maybe, we didn't understand the way it was explained the first time which by the way is not always the fault of the listner... Maybe some day I can grow up to be as smart as one of dem dare teachers... and to think I actually thought that civil engineer thing would be enough... I guess I'll have to back to school to learn what the full timers know and so I can get in one of them teachers union so I can be smart too. I will look to see if I can find a new site and post it for the rest of the newbie, and paste it. By the way if I find a site for grass cuttin' teachers aides I let everyone know too.

jkelton
03-29-2004, 08:52 PM
Cutnitclose - where did you go to school? I went to Tenn Tech (mechanical engineering). I suppose you were like me - I got tired of wishing I was the guy out on the mower outside of our office, especially on days like we have had here recently!

cutnitclose
03-30-2004, 01:44 AM
Jkelton, I went to MTSU and I'm not a civil engineer.. I was just trying to make the point that, just because the guy is new doesn't mean he's stupid, and you right about being outside "I love it".....

Zod
04-03-2004, 03:20 AM
Dodgemania,
Just multiply the width by the length of the area to cover with mulch. Then multiply that by the depth in feet (3" = .25 ft). That will give you the cubic footage. Divide that by 27 to get cubic yards. Use area of a circle for around trees(radius squared times 3.14)*(depth).

Zod
04-03-2004, 03:32 AM
Anybody know Jesus here? It sure doesn't sound like it. Reach out just a little.

Steven Anderson
04-04-2004, 10:37 PM
i go lenth times width times rough how deep then divide that number bey 324 and it will be the amount so i came up with 1.23 yards at 2 inch deep i would load on 2 yards on truck and any left over use else where or at my house and still charge fo 2 yards

charlies
04-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Zod
Anybody know Jesus here? It sure doesn't sound like it. Reach out just a little.

i think it's pronounced "hey-zoose"

naw, i can't do that...i totally love the man.:angel: