PDA

View Full Version : electric brake question

Scenic Lawnscape
03-09-2004, 10:18 PM
My trailer has electric brakes on it. So what do i need truck side besides a brake controler?? i read some where that you need the 7 wire plug on the back?? also is there a harness that plugs direct somewhere in the truck. its a 93 f-230 4 x 4

thanks

Rich

Fireman D
03-09-2004, 10:25 PM
You may want to look at getting the 4 flat plugin to 7 round plugin. Most trucks will have at least a flat 4 plugin. I bought a 7 round plugin that just plugs in to the 4 flat plug in. This way I can run the 7 round or the 4 flat. If this makes any sense.

Scenic Lawnscape
03-09-2004, 11:01 PM
i got one of those but i need to know what i need to hook up the brakes

Fireman D
03-09-2004, 11:07 PM
Are they not already wired up(brakes on the trailer)? Mine is wired up on the trailer, then a brake away box, then plugged into the truck.

Scenic Lawnscape
03-09-2004, 11:24 PM
i have to start from scratch. i ripped all the wires off when I bought the trailer "long story" so i have to rewire the whole thing and i need to also replace the wiring harness on the truck side to except a 7 pin harness. So i need a electric brake controler a break-away and how to rewire the trailer all lights and brakes. so any help is awesome

thanks

Rich

hosejockey2002
03-10-2004, 12:19 AM
Rich,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but IMO trailer brakes and wiring are one of those things that if you have to ask how to do it, you are time and money ahead to just have a shop do it.

tawilson1152
03-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Here's a little advice to get you started. You need a wiring diagram for the 7-way plug. It's available at a trailer supply house online, but I can't find it right now. Do some searches and you should be able to come up with one. The first wire to run through the plug should be a ground from the frame of the tow vehicle to the frame of your trailer. Once you get a good ground, then you can start tackling the rest, one at a time.
Here's the best advice, get the parts you need from a source that will help you out and answer your questions, maybe a trailer sales, and I've found some U-Hauls to be very helpful for stuff like this. Also, get yourself a good 12v tester.

The Good Earth
03-10-2004, 07:55 PM
7 way plug diagram (http://www.wt4wheeling.com/tech/7wire.htm)

Pretty self explanatory.

Patrick Harvey
03-10-2004, 10:36 PM
I just rewired my trailer and added four brakes and a break away. It took me three days, but I got it. First you have to have at least a 6 pin plug for your truck and trailer. A 4 pin plug is white=ground, brown=taillights, green=right turn, yellow=left turn. A 6 pin plug simply adds in blue=brake, black=accessory(this is a hot wire from battery to charge battery for breakaway device).7 pin plugs have 2 accessory pins. They make a pigtail that will plug in to your trucks wireing harness that has a6 pin connection on one end and a plug to fit your harness at the other end. Likewise with the controller, you can buy a pigtial and just plug it in no cutting your wires! Ford allready put the wires in the harness, your brake controller plug will be under the dash drivers side, and the other end is drivers side rear by the spare tire. I looked all over for the rear pigtail for my 01 ford and no one had them in stock. I saw plenty of ones that would fit your truck. O,Reillies, AutoZone, and Advanced all carry them.You may also need a new relay for the fuse box under the hood for the hot wire going to the trailer, check your owners manual. You can do it without the pigtails though, I hard wired mine in. Use the 4 wires going to your 4 pin plug and and wire them to the 6 way plug end(It will tell you how to wire them on the box they come in). Then add the blue wire from your brake controller-to-brakes on trailer. Then add black from positive side of the battery-to-battery charger for breakawayThere should be an orange wire in your harness right behind where the 4pin plugs in, this is fords hot wire for tow package check withtest light! blue wire from controller will also be. there. wire the trailer plug the same way. Make sure to run ground wires to each brakedont just ground them to the frame, wire the two brakes on the front axle together and run another ground=white, and Blue=brake controller to the rear axle and wire those brakes together. Do not wire both right side brakes or both left side brakes together. Any questions? Good luck, pat.