PDA

View Full Version : Customer wants me to line a creek

Gordons Landscape
03-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Customer wants me to line a creek with natural stone that they provide. First they want me to clean it out with a bobcat. Then they want me to line it with natural stone. Anyone ever due this before? What do I charge? What problems will I run into? Thanks in advance!!

Avery
03-10-2004, 01:40 AM
You will run into mega EPA problems if you go near a creek bed with a front end loader. At least in NC.

kris
03-10-2004, 07:54 AM
Yes, make sure you have any applicable permits or you'll be looking at some pretty steep fines.

Grassmechanic
03-10-2004, 08:57 AM
How big is the creek? Is it considered a "navigable waterway"? Has an "Environmental Impact Study" been completed? Where are the spoils going to be disposed of? Like the others said, you'll need permits from EPA, local Drain Commission, possibly U.S. Dept Corps of Engineers, and your state Ag Dept.

Gordons Landscape
03-10-2004, 10:24 PM
Its a creek in back of there yard its very small it goes into a Water ski lake that 12 or so houses use. Will this be a problem? After I deal with govt. agencys what other problems can I expect. Thanks,
Dan

Mdirrigation
03-11-2004, 12:20 AM
Let the customer get drawings and permits , and in about 2 years they may be ready to have it bid out

daveyo
03-11-2004, 01:06 AM
Don't touch the creek, you will interfere with groundwater recharge and drainage. the creek is definitely helping drain the area, if it doesn't function properly your going to be responsible.

Daveyo

Grassmechanic
03-11-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Gordons Landscape
Its a creek in back of there yard its very small it goes into a Water ski lake that 12 or so houses use. Will this be a problem? After I deal with govt. agencys what other problems can I expect. Thanks,
Dan Is the lake privately owned? There may be riparian rights that will come into play. Why does the homeowner want this done? He'll never get the permits if it's for aesthetics only. My guess is that he won't spend the money or time to pursue the necessary permit processes. Messing with bodies of water ALWAYS upsets nearby landowners. And MDIrrigation is right - it can take up to 2 years to get the permits.

landscapingpoolguy
03-12-2004, 02:51 PM
That creek is probably protected Wetland Area, we have emall over the place here.

Chuck

ksss
03-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Once you've taken the proper precautions and presuming you can do the work. You may want to use a mini excavator instead of skid steer. Spring in KS in has to be muddy and you will for sure make a mess with a skid steer even a tracked one. I would get a miniex with a clean out bucket (larger bucket with smooth lip no digging teeth) clean the bank and add the river rock. If your good on an excavator you could dump the rock close with a skid steer and lay them in with the excavator if not place by hand.

Always Green
03-21-2004, 06:21 PM
I wouldn't touch it here, I like my equipment and the DEP will seize it if I did. Sure we can get permits to do work like that here after several years of review, thousands of dollars in enginineering fees and lawyers fees, then if I step out of area of disturbance by one inch they can fine me and take my toys, NO THANKS THERE'S LOT'S OF OTHER WORK TO DO THAT'S NOT SO RISKY

KenH
03-21-2004, 06:45 PM
I wouldnt chance it. Once the homes on the lake see the disturbed silt coming it, it will be all over.