PDA

View Full Version : ? on installing mulch on a steep slope

GarPA
03-10-2004, 07:52 AM
have property with a steep bank around a pool. In past years we just pushed the half filled barrows up and dumped but its a tiring job. I think I read here somewhere about putting the mulch on a tarp and then dragging it up the slope?

If you've done this, how does it work compared to the 'barrow method? thanks

bobbygedd
03-10-2004, 10:36 AM
gar.....the wheelbarrow has wheels, the tarp doesn't....

NickN
03-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Can you use a pull behind dump trailer?
Fill it up then pull it uphill with the mower
and dump it?

bobbygedd
03-10-2004, 12:19 PM
ok, i got it! have the mulch flown in by helicopter

lawnranger44
03-10-2004, 12:32 PM
First of all, double the price. Then maybe wheelbarrels if you can, if not maybe garbage cans filled with mulch.

Mykster
03-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Garbage cans should work depending on how the steep the slope is, but the garbage can will be heavier (than the w/barrow) to pull up the slope and doesn't have wheels.

Have a bark truck come in and blow the bark up the slope.

pghlandscape
03-11-2004, 12:23 AM
rent a bark blower

hole in one lco
03-11-2004, 01:04 AM
go to lesco and buy the die problem solved

GarPA
03-11-2004, 05:44 AM
I'm going to try the tarp approach. Somebody mentioned a couple years ago here that it works better than the barrows on inclines

Premo Services
03-11-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by GarPA
I'm going to try the tarp approach. Somebody mentioned a couple years ago here that it works better than the barrows on inclines

Let us know how it works for you.
I think the dead weight of the mulch on the tarp will be too heavy and make it a real PITA to move it.

bobbygedd
03-11-2004, 09:14 AM
especially at your age

GarPA
03-11-2004, 05:10 PM
touche' Bobby...as I've told you many times , you certainly have a way with words...

fastlane
03-11-2004, 06:33 PM
Trashcan and handtruck with big air filled tires.

GarPA
03-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Fastlane..now theres an idea worthy of a try...I have a big dolly for big trees,,,have to give that a try,,,it'll be about a month til I do this one but I'll make a note to post bacj here..thanks

mmacsek
03-11-2004, 08:10 PM
I did a job about 3 years ago where i had to go up a hill. I used a wheelbarrow that was much smaller than my current 2 wheel 10cubic feet. It had one wheel and wasn't to bad to push. I never used the tarp but it sounds heavy. Hope this helps. Matt

jkelton
03-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Sub it to a mulch blowing company. I did a job this morning - 50 yards of hardwood material, 200 feet up a 45 degree slope. You'll never do it any other way.

NNJLandman
03-11-2004, 10:31 PM
Blower, garbage can, all good ideas, why don't you make even more money and get them to invest in a several teired retaining wall and plantings steps the whole 9 yards. Enough with the mulch.

olderthandirt
03-11-2004, 10:34 PM
Rent a concrete wheel barrow with the double tires and engines and ride up the hill

Mac

landscapingpoolguy
03-12-2004, 02:42 PM
GUYS GUYS GUYS>>>ON HILLS NON ACCESSIBLE FROM THE TOP WITH A TRUCK USE BAGGED MULCH.

Chuck

GarPA
03-12-2004, 03:04 PM
good idea Chuck...but the problem is theres already black dyed mulchon the banks. That stuff is a tad pricey as is, let alone buying the dyed stuff by the bag...although I'll keep an eye on the prices by the bag

lawnlubber
03-12-2004, 03:31 PM
I use a tarp to haul around mulch quite often. A tarp full of mulch is about the same weight as a tarp full of leaves or grass. It is no problem pulling about twice what I can fit in a wheelbarrow. Just tie up the corners all the mulch is gonna want to slip off the back when you go uphill.

GarPA
03-12-2004, 05:11 PM
and one thing I know for sure is that the dyed mulch weighs only about half what "real" mulch weighs (yes I know all the downsides of dyed mulches) this year brown dyed is coming to down...now that stuff will eat into my revenue for mulching in a year or two...people will need far less to refresh their beds

landscapingpoolguy
03-13-2004, 12:23 AM
price is not your problem its the customers i would charge a hi labor rate anyway......beside why not try and sell um some thing nicer like pond stone this way they wont have to refresh it every year and youll make a higher profit.

Chuck

Groundcover Solutions
03-14-2004, 01:48 AM
BLOWER TRUCK is the only way this should be done. No work on your part and we would be in and out in no time with minamal damage to the surrounding areas. As well as the mulch will be spread way better than you are going to get it by hand on a slop. Although I may be a little biased I would go with the blower truck. They can put it down cheap and you don't have to lift a finger. Look into it, after that you may never use a wheelbarow again. JUST MY 2 CENTS!!!!!!!!

GarPA
03-14-2004, 05:13 AM
ok matt...would you be willing to gove me an approximate price for what I can expect to pay for 15 yards of blown in dyed mulch?

We have to stay with black dyed per customers request.

I;ve only seen one blower truck in my area about 3 years ago and have not seen them since...I need only a ballpark range of cost...thanks

Groundcover Solutions
03-14-2004, 06:28 PM
well in my aera we if you supplie the mulch it is 21 per yard to put it down. I am not at my office and not sure how much the black stuff is but i think we charge around 37 per yard installed for the dyed stuff. THIS IS IN MY AREA this my be different for you. May be higher or it could vary well be lower.

Groundcover Solutions
03-14-2004, 06:32 PM
sorry for posting twice but these prices for my area are right around what it costs a mid to large scale landscape company to install at. That is what we bace our pricing on. We try to stay as close to cost "for hand mulch installs" as we can. I think this is what most companies do. So if you figure your per yard cost for installing ie. materials labor equipment so on. You should be pretty close to what a blower company will do. If you can not find a company give email express blower or call them and they will give you the name of the closest company to your location.

Clark Landscaping
03-15-2004, 09:12 AM
Hire a bark blower for sure, only way to go, where are you in PA. PM if you want, I am going to work in PA for a season extender...

titus
03-17-2004, 09:25 PM
you should hire on a blower truck we sub out to many different landscapers. visit www.expressblower.com and they can tell you who has the nearest truck. it will probably cost 38-45/yd and save you labor and a headache. otherwise visit our site to see some pictures www.superiorgroundcover.com

thartz
04-27-2004, 04:45 AM
I used a heavy canvas bag with handles;I will get the name for you when I get ready to head out tommorrow;worked better than the tarp method.Looked like Santa Claus delivering mulch but hey it worked!

thartz
04-27-2004, 04:48 AM
The other way I did this was with a step ladder set on the ground to help walk up the hill.We got real smart and tied a rope to a tree above us to hold onto and balance ourselves.