PDA

View Full Version : ground cover??

NCL
03-10-2004, 04:07 PM
whats a good low growing ground cover thats out all year round and possibly flowers?? any suggestions?? full sun near a stream.

workaholic
03-10-2004, 09:30 PM
Contoneaster, but flowers are very small and do not last long. Periwinkle, i do know that this is a shade tolerent cover but seem to think its also sun tolerent also(not sure) Hypercum ST. johns wort has yellow flowers all summer....

bobbygedd
03-10-2004, 09:55 PM
pacasandra. low growing, fast spreading, shade tolerant ground cover. tiny white flowers in spring.

allgreen lawn
03-11-2004, 12:51 AM
I agree with the pacasandra it's also low maitenance.

Grassmechanic
03-11-2004, 08:03 AM
Pachysandra doesn't tolerate a lot of direct sun too well.

culand
03-11-2004, 06:10 PM
We use Green Liriope( Big Blue) ,has a large blue flower that flowers all summer. The other is Bar harbor or old Gold ( junipers).They don't flower but the color when mixing types makes a good backdrop.

Cultural Landscape

Making East Texas Landscape Flower All Year!

Landscape and Lawn Care.

workaholic
03-11-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
pacasandra. low growing, fast spreading, shade tolerant ground cover. tiny white flowers in spring. pachasandia is a shade tolerent ground cover if planted in the sun it turns yellow much better looking in the shade where it belongs. Also takes a very long time for fill in....

Kate Butler
03-13-2004, 11:06 PM
Not sure whether your idea of low-growing is what shrub people think of as low-growing or what perennial people think of as low-growing. There's about two feet of difference. If you mean under 12", I'd suggest small-flowered pansies. Here (Zone 3) they come out of the snow with green leaves and buds (from the past season). They bloom like crazy, crossbreed among themselves, and self-sow freely. I have large established areas that are in bloom from early spring to snow cover. They can be mowed (blade height 5") if they get too straggly.

bottlefed89
03-30-2004, 12:48 AM
So what do you suggest for a hillside with absolutely no shade. I have one property that has a poorly wood-chipped hill that is too steep to mow, so I end up trimming the weeds out of it. It takes forever, I've suggested they invest in sometype of ground cover. Is there anything I can plant now and have a decent stand of through this summer?? I really don't want to have to f with that hill again all year.
thanks

AGLA
03-30-2004, 09:51 PM
Creeping Mahonia, Bearberry, heathers and heaths,Japanese Holly varieties, azaleas, smaller Rhododendrons, Hypericum, ...

Full sun does not limit you very much.

bottlefed89
03-30-2004, 11:27 PM
So what would you recommend then as a cheap ground cover(they won't spend much). Or is there something middle of the road that looks good and is relatively inexpensive, and won't be overpowered by the weeds??