PDA

View Full Version : Hose Reel help

philk17088
03-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Anybody know how to adjust the tension on a hannay reel on a lesco sprayer? I was doing tree ferts today and the on and off of the trigger made the hose loosen up on the reel. Had to pull about 20 feet off to rewind it tight.
Thanks
Phil

firedude26
03-10-2004, 07:00 PM
ON the reels that i have there are not any tension settings or adj.
The motor either rolls up the hose or it is free wheeling

vegomatic40
03-10-2004, 07:05 PM
The pulse of doing ferts. injections on trees/shrubs will likely make the hose to jump off the reel and "birdnest" just like a bait casting fishing reel. The only problem is that there is no drag to set and keep tension on the hose. If there was it would make the initial pull to the back lawn or landscape a complete bear. Does the reel have the optional stainless hose guide? This may help a little but I'm not sure. Takin off a few feet of hose may help a little as well but may limit your pulls. Reducing your pressure/volume may help as well. I use to do a lot of ferts. through a 1/2" ID hose with as little as 90 psi and still had plenty of volume to do the jobs. Wish I had a better solution but let me know if any of this helps.

tremor
03-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Some Hannay reels have a tensioner near the bearings. If so, turn them down a bit. Looks like a wing nut that biases a spring clip.

Pumps that cause pulsations need to be dampened. Thats what the Shraeder air valve is for on the damper diaphragm on Hypro D30's.

Russ
03-11-2004, 03:24 AM
Ya may want to try pullin some extra hose off the reel, like maybe 12ft. Make an S with the hose on the ground with the hose next to the truck. That will stop the pulsing on the reel as long as ya dont pull the S out. I know it sounds dumb, but it works for me.

vegomatic40
03-11-2004, 07:05 AM
I'm pretty sure he isn't referring to a pump that pulsates,vibrates etc.. This free wheeling is caused by the surge/release/surge/release action when doing the actual injection. Not much of getting around that. Russ is right, sometimes a little slack on the ground will limit the back and forth action. The older Hannays had the tensioner but haven't seen that on the newer ones.

Ric
03-11-2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by tremor
Some Hannay reels have a tensioner near the bearings. If so, turn them down a bit. Looks like a wing nut that biases a spring clip.

Pumps that cause pulsations need to be dampened. Thats what the Shraeder air valve is for on the damper diaphragm on Hypro D30's.

Check the air pressure in the damping chamber. Turn down your pressure. I have never had a problem like you describe. I never go over 60 PSI more like 45 PSI at the pump and get plenty of volume. Low pressure is easier on your pump and better on applications. Larger droplet size stays wetter longer and can be absorbed faster. Larger droplets are less prone to drift or off target application. If you want more production go with a bigger tip and low PSI. I think everyone who starts spraying thinks they need a lot of pressure, I did at first. How I do realize your taking about deep rooting. In my case our sandy soils, deep rooting is a rip off. So I ask, is high pressure really that necessary on clay soils??

tremor
03-11-2004, 08:54 AM
100-200psi is used to fracture & open clay. Damper pressure should be about half the pump operating pressure if memory serves.

A though. The namual Hannay reels have the tensioner. Electric reels are tensdion by the chain & reel motor.

Which reel are we talking about?

firedude26
03-11-2004, 06:43 PM
Tremor , You are right i didnt even relize the adjustments on the hannay reels, I never had a problem so i never even paid attention to the wing nuts. I usually run about 50 psi at pump and never have a problem with coverage.

philk17088
03-11-2004, 09:09 PM
I use a fert probe and 200 lbs pressure. This is so I get a certain volume for holding the trigger open for 6 seconds.

Iquess I'll have to live with it. I quess it didn't help that the hose was stiff from the cold either. Some of the old Hannays had a lock pin to lock them down after pulling the hose out. Mine doesn't have the spring steel and wing nut. Thanks for the input.

Turf Medic
03-11-2004, 09:12 PM
Kind of off of the subject, but still about reels. Where do you get the nice roller guides that I see on some of the reels around?

thanks

BLC3
03-11-2004, 09:41 PM
turf medic,
look on lesco web site.
i bought mine from lesco.