PDA

View Full Version : Driveway Apron

springman26
03-10-2004, 09:51 PM
Ok guys I'm just getting started and want to try a driveway apron at my own house. I have a bluestone driveway that I edged with metal landscape edging. I want to do an apron at the start of the drive with some belgium blocks. Would it be ok to dig out the area and tamp down 4 inches of crushed stone then place the stone and level then fill back in the cracks with the crushed stone? Also whats the best way to cut the blocks? Thanks.

springman26
03-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Nobody? Help a guy out here.

Mike Fronczak
03-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Call your town/city before doing it. In my town you, or homeowner even can't put a shovel down in right of way with out 2 million insurance, drive way would also require a permit.

springman26
03-12-2004, 08:50 AM
I'll check on the permit thing but am I on target with how to do this? Somebody has to know this. I'm like the only guy around without some type of apron.

AL Inc
03-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Springman-nice to see other LI'ers on here. First, Mike's advice is good, check with the town first. Second, I don't think that 4" of crushed stone is an adequate base for an apron. With cars coming and going, the apron would settle pretty quickly, no matter how much you tamp the base. The correct way would be to pour a concrete slab and then set the blocks on that. Mike

springman26
03-12-2004, 11:19 AM
OK that sounds like a better idea. I hate to admit this but I did a search on this and came up with Bob Villa doing an apron and that is how he said to do it. There is a short video on his site, its kinda funny.