View Full Version : bark or mulch?

03-11-2004, 12:37 PM
a lot of people here on lawn site call it mulch but a lot of people around here call it bark or shredded bark.a guy i have known for five+years and who has been in bus. for 20 some years allways calls it shredded bark or says we are doing a bark job.I know it is the same thing and im not implying anyone is saying it wrong.just wondering if i should put shredded bark/mulch or something like that on my next batch of door hangers instead of just shredded bark as i have it now.dont want any customers being confused as to what i am talking about.my cousin who owns his own landscaping bus. in prtsmouth va. laughs at me whenever i call it shredded bark as he always calls it mulch.what do most guys call it around here(MI)or do tou think it doesnt really matter since it is the same thing and most people wont be confused about what it is.

03-11-2004, 01:50 PM
chances are if you are not sure if they will be confused, then some of them will be. I would suggest listing it as shredded bark/mulch on your advertising, so everyone, no matter which they are familiar with, know you do it.
I personally have not hear it called shredded bark, but would have guessed it to be mulch.

Critical Care
03-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Uh huh, perhaps the term "shredded bark" pretty well describes what bark mulch is. Personally, for me I use the term "bark installation" but with the understanding that the grade of bark could range from nuggets to mulch - whatever the client wants. IMO, if you're not going to limit yourself just to shredded bark, you may want to generalize it as "bark installation". Make sense?

03-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Just put mulch installation. Mulch can be anything, shredded bark, compost, crumb rubber, stone, grass clippings, etc.

P&C Lawn Care
03-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Shredded bark is just one "type" of mulch. Gravel, wood bark/chips, pecan hulls, cottonseed hulls, cocoa shells, leaves, straw, compost or manmade products like chipped brickcan be mulch.

03-11-2004, 03:08 PM
I agree and side with Grassmechanic.

03-11-2004, 04:53 PM
thanks to everyone for the input.think i will word it a little differantley on next batch i print.by the way i spent about 2 hours last night trying to post my doorhanger but it kept saying the attachment was to big even thuogh i resized it several times.computers are so frustrating sometimes. i will try to post it again this weekend when i have more time so i can get some opionions,thoghts etc. thanks again for the replies

03-13-2004, 03:35 AM
we have mulch here, but we also have bark chips. Another shredded we call mulch, anything solid, is usually bark.

03-14-2004, 12:34 AM
List it as either tanbark or mulch. I use tanbark on my signs, letters, and flyers because it sounds more professional.